Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Title Bout Championship Boxing > TBCB General Discussions

TBCB General Discussions Talk about the new boxing sim, Title Bout.

Old 01-18-2015, 10:29 PM   #1
Antonin
Hall Of Famer

How do you begin your historical TBCB 2.5 uni?

Reading through threads in the Inside the Ropes section I see so many great and well-thought-out unis. When thinking about creating one of my own, I've always been stuck at the starting point. I want something relatively simple, but interesting enough to write about.

When you create a uni, wouldn't you just select all retired fighters and then unretire them? If you set their career stage to "beginning" when they enter the game, does the game re-set their attributes to reflect that?

A long time ago I started a historical universe, but I don't remember the details and it got lost in a hard drive failure.
Cultural icons, gone but not forgotten: David Bowie, Lou Reed, William S. Burroughs, Tristan Tzara, Jack Kerouac, Allen Ginsburg, Jimi Hendrix, John Cage, Johnny Thunders (New York Dolls), Mike Hudson (The Pagans), Joey Ramone (Ramones), Stiv Bators (Dead Boys), Tomata Du Plenty (The Screamers), Joe Strummer (The Clash), Lester Bangs

Last edited by Antonin; 01-19-2015 at 07:48 PM.
Antonin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 11:09 PM   #2
Antonin
Hall Of Famer

Anybody?
Cultural icons, gone but not forgotten: David Bowie, Lou Reed, William S. Burroughs, Tristan Tzara, Jack Kerouac, Allen Ginsburg, Jimi Hendrix, John Cage, Johnny Thunders (New York Dolls), Mike Hudson (The Pagans), Joey Ramone (Ramones), Stiv Bators (Dead Boys), Tomata Du Plenty (The Screamers), Joe Strummer (The Clash), Lester Bangs
Old 01-22-2015, 07:29 AM   #3
Hanson Bros
Hall Of Famer

if I was starting a new one I would just pick what year I wanted to start, bring those guys in from the database then mass adjust them to beginning .... then I would create a bunch of RFG's rated 0 for them to fight against until they went pre-prime

UTBA3
Hanson Bros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 02:10 PM   #4
Cap
Hall Of Famer

Sounds like a plan. Good basic structure. Nothing overly complex or you risk getting bored.

Cap
Old 01-24-2015, 05:17 PM   #5
Antonin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanson Bros View Post
if I was starting a new one I would just pick what year I wanted to start, bring those guys in from the database then mass adjust them to beginning .... then I would create a bunch of RFG's rated 0 for them to fight against until they went pre-prime
Thanks. What I did last weekend was just start a new uni called "Historical 1" by loading the entire list of active and retired fighters. Is this what you mean by bringing them in from the database? What I'm getting at is, can you just create a uni with the guys from the year you want to start with, say, 1920, and then on January 1st of each year after that import new ones for that year?

If so, I did not know that you could create a uni with just fighters from one year. That would certainly make it easier to keep things organized.

Until now I have mostly played fictional universes, or just had "what if" fights with current or retired fighters.
Old 01-25-2015, 02:09 PM   #6
Antonin
Hall Of Famer

I think I've figured it out. Thanks for the replies, guys. I appreciate it. I never realized that the process I've been following for creating a historical uni was a lot less precise and a lot more complicated than it needed to be.

I feel like I do when I play OOTP baseball--no matter how long I've been playing, I'm always learning something new about the game.
Old 02-09-2015, 08:35 PM   #7
Antonin
Hall Of Famer

Running a uni is much more smooth when you have finally created it the right way. It kind of takes on a life of its own after a while.

I created a heavyweight timeline uni with the start year of 1879. Maybe I'll start writing about it over at "Inside the Ropes." Who knows. The unis I'm reading about over there are truly works of art. You guys are amazing.

My little uni is well into 1880, and not much has happened of note, except a shocking KO loss by John Sullivan against a lucky fictional TC.

Anyway, thanks again for setting me straight on how to get started.
Old 02-09-2015, 10:42 PM   #8
JCWeb
Hall Of Famer

How I Started a Historical Universe

Sorry for the delay in responding, just noticed this thread.

In my case, I just sorted the real-life fighters by career start date (I believe the first one was a 1-rated HW named Joe Hess) and then gradually added more fighters (lots of TC fighters at first) and brought them in one year -- in Universe time -- at a time.

I believe I switched everyone to retired status and then made the fighters being added to "Active" and "Beginning" when adding them.

EDIT: Should add that I am still using 2.0, never switched to 2.5 or whatever the most recent version is.

Last edited by JCWeb; 02-10-2015 at 02:06 AM.
JCWeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 12:10 PM   #9
cubedrum
All Star Reserve

Here's a link to my boxing universe's website. I just started again about a month ago.
Eternity Boxing Council Rules and Guidelines

and the rules page.

Eternity Boxing Council Rules and Guidelines

I'm hoping this universe doesnt disappear like my last one. Dead hard drive from torrenting. Arghhhh! Now I torrent on a SSD so that nothing spins. I'm using the latest version of the game.
Old 02-10-2015, 02:08 PM   #10
javier_83
Hall Of Famer

Hey Cube long time without seeing you!!

glad to read you again!!
javier_83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 10:36 PM   #11
Antonin
Hall Of Famer

Now that I've got my historical HW timeline uni going, I've been thinking about doing a simple alternate history career uni--"simple" in that the uni would probably begin the year the fighter's career began, and "alternate" in that he would not necessarily fight the guys he fought in real life [although I might bring in some whose careers began earlier]. I've enjoyed the Professor's Laszlo Papp, Teofilo Stevenson and Sonny Liston unis, and Bob Bask's Sugar Ray Robinson uni, and have developed an itch to start a career uni of my own.

Some ones I've been considering: Diego Corrales, Jerry Quarry, James Toney and Eddie Machen.

How do you guys handle a fighter moving to a higher weight class? Do you just change his weight class when he gets to the appropriate year and only import fighters in that class from then on? Or do you move the uni to the new weight class and import the "new" version of the fighter? James Toney is in the DB as both super-MW and HW.

Last edited by Antonin; 02-11-2015 at 10:44 PM.
Old 02-12-2015, 06:31 AM   #12
bob_bask
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonin View Post
How do you guys handle a fighter moving to a higher weight class? Do you just change his weight class when he gets to the appropriate year and only import fighters in that class from then on? Or do you move the uni to the new weight class and import the "new" version of the fighter?
It probably depends on how you are running your uni/replay.

It sounds like you are going to run a full universe in which the career replay takes place. If I was going to do that I'd run the relevant weight classes from the beginning to have the depth.

If you are only running single contests centered on your boxer, which I am doing, then I make the adjustments and import an opponent - the weight class competing in does not have any impact on my universe beyond the central boxers rating being changed.

Not sure if I've answered your questions correctly but hopefully my ideas came across.

"I occasionally agreed to carry an opponent, almost always in what is known as a tune-up fight. I never considered it morally wrong as long as I was winning the fight. I was never a killer, like some fighters. I never enjoyed knocking out a guy who I knew had no chance to beat me." Sugar Ray Robinson
bob_bask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 09:07 PM   #13
Antonin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_bask View Post
It sounds like you are going to run a full universe in which the career replay takes place. If I was going to do that I'd run the relevant weight classes from the beginning to have the depth.

If you are only running single contests centered on your boxer, which I am doing, then I make the adjustments and import an opponent - the weight class competing in does not have any impact on my universe beyond the central boxers rating being changed...
I was thinking of just loading the weight class that the particular fighter is in, in order to move things along more quickly. But if I have a guy who moves from one weight class to another during the course of his career, maybe importing both, as you suggest, would be best.
Old 02-13-2015, 01:12 AM   #14
Mountain Rivera
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I had TBCB 2.5 installed on my old computer. Now, I am re-installing to new computer (from v1.0 Game Disc, to 1.9 patch to 2.0 to v2.5). I do need have to mention that when I uninstalled from the old computer, I forgot to MAKE A BACKUP, so I lost a complete finished/up-to date v2.5 Folder and Data there within (fortunately, I still have the 1.0 version of my Complete Universe in a file save)...
I have gotten to v2.0, complete with my Rankings, but cannot get the Rankings to show up on v2.5. I have been building these Ranking from Day-One (way back when), and the Boxer Universe is perfect for me. I can Import the Universe, Previous Matches and Highlights etc, but the Rankings do not show up now. I have tried (most) everything, but still not able to get the Boxer Rankings to show up in game while using "Import from TB2"..
Any thoughts on how to remedy this?

I may need to use BoxRec Record Import Utlity also named TB25_Boxrec_Import?. Does this work very well? Never tried it, but I would prefer to use the TBCB Engine Mechanics if possible

Last edited by Mountain Rivera; 02-13-2015 at 03:32 PM.
Mountain Rivera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 06:41 PM   #15
bob_bask
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Rivera View Post
I may need to use BoxRec Record Import Utlity also named TB25_Boxrec_Import?. Does this work very well? Never tried it, but I would prefer to use the TBCB Engine Mechanics if possible
That program updates a boxers tbdx file with their real-life record. Not sure if that's what you want.

"I occasionally agreed to carry an opponent, almost always in what is known as a tune-up fight. I never considered it morally wrong as long as I was winning the fight. I was never a killer, like some fighters. I never enjoyed knocking out a guy who I knew had no chance to beat me." Sugar Ray Robinson
bob_bask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 03:11 AM   #16
Mountain Rivera
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Thumbs up

Thanks Bob Bask, though I think just a few minutes ago that I may have found a/the Backup File, being the Program Files (x86) one...If it is, that will be a reason to Celebrate!
I thank you for the info on the Utility, I think (hopefully) I "dodged a bullet here", and this here is a wrap... we shall see tomorrow, long live v2.5!!