Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 02-24-2020, 12:54 PM   #21
bertha
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkgo View Post
Every year there are two or three teams I think "wait they are in the playoffs?"

we dont need more
Nice
bertha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 05:32 PM   #22
Ragnar
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehef View Post
I suppose I'm somewhere in between that ^^^ and where you, CobraMgr and others here are. I think it's kinda ridiculous that the NBA & NHL have 82-game regular seasons, and then let 53% and 52%, respectively, of thier teams into playoffs (although I do enjoy the playoff series' and realize that playoff contraction is not in the foreseeable future). And even the MLB, at 33%, is too high IMO given the 162-game regular season. But in the NFL, where in a 16-game regular season the difference between 9-7 and 11-5 can be a missed kick and blown call, I don't have a problem at all with a move from 37.5% to 43.8%.
You make a good point on the part I snipped, and mostly here. But my main problem is by adding a 7th know that they will be 9-7 or worse 75% of the time. Which leads to probably the only part I disagree mostly with below.

Quote:
I guess I look at it this way:

a) If a 9-7 or 10-6 seventh seed is just as good as an 11-5 team, then there's no harm because we should be in for a good game against the #2 seed.
The 10-6, yeah, the 9-7s? not so sure. A 9-7 team has made it to the super bowl a total of 3 times. !0 and 11 win teams have been there probably more than two dozen times. But I do realize they get more chances. So you might be closer to right than it looks.

Quote:
a) If, OTOH, a 9-7 or 8-8 seventh seed has no real business being in the playoffs, then the #2 seed that will face them should have a relatively easy, rust-preventing trip to the divisional playoffs.

That's how I see it. YMMV
This is where we part ways. I don't think they should be there based on their record. I don't care how good they are or what chance they have. It's like I mentioned before. The Minnesota Northstars went to the Stanley Cup with a 27-39-14 record. Why play the regular season? They had no business being in the playoffs.

It's like I said. I don't believe a team that simply has a winning record should be in the playoffs unless they win the division. I certainly don't think a .500 team should get the chance as a wildcard.
Ragnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 06:40 PM   #23
Rizon
Hall Of Famer

There should be 32 divisions with 1 team in each division. The winner of each division makes the playoffs. That should settle it.
Old 02-25-2020, 05:02 AM   #24
thehef
Hall Of Famer

Re 9-7 & 8-8 teams in the playoffs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
This is where we part ways. I don't think they should be there based on their record. I don't care how good they are or what chance they have. It's like I mentioned before. The Minnesota Northstars went to the Stanley Cup with a 27-39-14 record. Why play the regular season? They had no business being in the playoffs.

It's like I said. I don't believe a team that simply has a winning record should be in the playoffs unless they win the division. I certainly don't think a .500 team should get the chance as a wildcard.
We're probably in the ballpark of agreement, since I am not wild about 8-8 teams making the playoffs... Anyways, a few more numbers (since realignment):

- Both times that a sub-.500 team made the playoffs it was because they won their (pathetic) division.
- Of the 8 teams to make the playoffs with records worse than 9-7, 5 of those were division winners
- Had the seven-playoff-teams-per-conference been in effect in the 18 years since realignment, no sub-.500 teams would've grabbed the 7th seed. One 8-7-1 and eight 8-8 teams would've have gotten in. 17 teams with a 9-7 record would've made it, along with 10 teams with records better than 9-7.

Not that it would ever be considered, but if the NFL is to expand its playoffs as they are planning, I'd like to see that - except for division winners - a winning % that exceeds .500 would be required for entry into the playoffs. So, in the case where only six teams qualify, the #2 seed would get a bye... (Again, never gonna happen.)

The bottom line for me is that I'm generally in favor of the extra team making the playoffs because, as I previously noted, I like the two extra playoff games, and I also like that it rewards (with a bye) an actual accomplishment. So when that extra playoff team is at least 9-7 - which, based upon history, will be 75% of the time - cool. When that extra team is 8-8? Not so cool, but hopefully not that often.
thehef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 05:24 PM   #25
Ragnar
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Re 9-7 & 8-8 teams in the playoffs...

We're probably in the ballpark of agreement, since I am not wild about 8-8 teams making the playoffs... Anyways, a few more numbers (since realignment):

- Both times that a sub-.500 team made the playoffs it was because they won their (pathetic) division.
- Of the 8 teams to make the playoffs with records worse than 9-7, 5 of those were division winners
- Had the seven-playoff-teams-per-conference been in effect in the 18 years since realignment, no sub-.500 teams would've grabbed the 7th seed. One 8-7-1 and eight 8-8 teams would've have gotten in. 17 teams with a 9-7 record would've made it, along with 10 teams with records better than 9-7.

Not that it would ever be considered, but if the NFL is to expand its playoffs as they are planning, I'd like to see that - except for division winners - a winning % that exceeds .500 would be required for entry into the playoffs. So, in the case where only six teams qualify, the #2 seed would get a bye... (Again, never gonna happen.)

The bottom line for me is that I'm generally in favor of the extra team making the playoffs because, as I previously noted, I like the two extra playoff games, and I also like that it rewards (with a bye) an actual accomplishment. So when that extra playoff team is at least 9-7 - which, based upon history, will be 75% of the time - cool. When that extra team is 8-8? Not so cool, but hopefully not that often.
The actual league structure is the problem. We have 8 four team divisions. You're just asking for it. That's why I mentioned before, or at least I think I did, if the league expanded to 36 teams, they could have 3 SIX team divisions in each Conf. At least then we could stomach an 9-7 or 8-8 team winning the division because they beat out 5 other teams. But the thought of a wildcard team being plucked out at 8-8 or 9-7 just bothers me. They've accomplished nothing.

Like I said, instead of 8 divisions they went to 6 some time in the future, better teams would make the playoffs and maybe 14 teams would work better.
Old 02-26-2020, 09:10 AM   #26
cephasjames
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizon View Post
There should be 32 divisions with 1 team in each division. The winner of each division makes the playoffs. That should settle it.
I'm disappointed this comment hasn't received more love. What is wrong with you people!!!
Pre-OOTP 23 Custom Cap & Jersey Template v3.0 by Deft and NoPepper (with layers from other various artists) that I use: Caps, Jerseys
cephasjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 09:23 AM   #27
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

I don't think the argument should be that the extra playoff team isn't good enough since NFL teams are all pretty close. You will get an occasional deep run and more likely than two extra decent games from adding two teams, but you are diluting the value of the regular season games. It isn't as exciting when you can just write off losses since you are always still in the playoff race until the end.

The NBA regular season is completely pointless and half the teams in the playoffs have absolutely no chance at winning the championship. On the other extreme in the NHL the #1 seeds lose all the time and sometimes get swept because there is basically no difference between teams so all you are trying to do is get in.

Last edited by dkgo; 02-26-2020 at 09:25 AM.
dkgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 10:54 AM   #28
Boomcoach
All Star Reserve

I follow football, and start watching some around mid-November, but this will certainly not make me watch more, and I will be less likely to watch 6 playoff games that opening weekend than I have been to watch 4. At a certain point it fades into noise and 9 hours in front of the TV for less than an hour of action is asking too much.

I think I have been spoiled by European soccer. I can get up at 7.30, by noon I have watched two full games and I have the afternoon and evening free. I probably wasn't going to do much else in the morning, but if I watch TV in the afternoon of a weekend I am missing out on things I would much rather do, for the most part.

Let's Go Crew
Boomcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 03:11 PM   #29
thehef
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkgo View Post
I don't think the argument should be that the extra playoff team isn't good enough since NFL teams are all pretty close. You will get an occasional deep run and more likely than two extra decent games from adding two teams, but you are diluting the value of the regular season games. It isn't as exciting when you can just write off losses since you are always still in the playoff race until the end.

The NBA regular season is completely pointless and half the teams in the playoffs have absolutely no chance at winning the championship. On the other extreme in the NHL the #1 seeds lose all the time and sometimes get swept because there is basically no difference between teams so all you are trying to do is get in.
All good points. However, I don't think there's any comparison to how much the NFL regular season will be diluted vs the other three major sports. The NFL is only 16 games long (17 coming soon?) so while adding two more playoff teams certainly adds the the small amount of diluted-ness, IMO that's offset by the strong likelihood that we will get many more meaningful late-regular-season games, as more teams will be in the hunt.
Old 02-26-2020, 05:33 PM   #30
Ragnar
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cephasjames View Post
I'm disappointed this comment hasn't received more love. What is wrong with you people!!!
I didn't even see that post. But I agree with its genius.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomcoach View Post
I follow football, and start watching some around mid-November, but this will certainly not make me watch more, and I will be less likely to watch 6 playoff games that opening weekend than I have been to watch 4. At a certain point it fades into noise and 9 hours in front of the TV for less than an hour of action is asking too much.

I think I have been spoiled by European soccer. I can get up at 7.30, by noon I have watched two full games and I have the afternoon and evening free. I probably wasn't going to do much else in the morning, but if I watch TV in the afternoon of a weekend I am missing out on things I would much rather do, for the most part.
Tell me about it. I watch very little NFL other than can't miss games because of the commercials. I'm watching 90% garbage! Soccer has a way better advertising scheme and I love watching it when I can. Because I'm actually watching the game most of the time.
Old 02-26-2020, 05:44 PM   #31
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

Love watching soccer and going to games. I like to know that I'm getting 95 minutes of play with a 15 minute halftime. No games going on for three and a half hours.
dkgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 01:01 AM   #32
thehef
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizon View Post
Shrink the regular season to 10 games, with a 10-game exhibition season, and this has my vote!
Old 02-28-2020, 12:33 PM   #33
Skipaway
Hall Of Famer

More playoff teams means the last weeks of the season will be worse and more awkward. For top teams, the end of the regular season would become the pre-season for the playoffs, where winning is secondary and conditioning is more important.

Just look at all the sports format with qualifying rounds and later elimination rounds and you'll see the same. To make the qualifying rounds more exciting, you need fewer qualifying spots. NBA teams has demonstrated how top teams don't care about the regular season much, and more mediocre teams fighting for the last few spots have not generated exciting games, because they are mediocre teams.

Last edited by Skipaway; 02-28-2020 at 12:34 PM.
Skipaway is offline   Reply With Quote