Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 19 - General Discussions Everything about the 2018 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 05-08-2018, 11:35 AM   #101
Mariner and Giants Fan
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorfmann View Post
I'm 35 and have been a huge baseball fan for as long as I can remember. Unfortunately, I'm an Orioles fan, so for most of my life baseball video games were necessary as an outlet for my frustrations.

I started with Bases Loaded on the NES and stayed with standard console baseball games for a while until I realized I enjoyed building teams more than playing the games. The transition to OotP was a no-brainer at the point.
I lived in Baltimore for one year back in 1967-68. I went to about 10 Orioles games that year as it was the first time we lived in a major league City! I was 12. Back then the Orioles were a really strong team what with the Robinson boys and what a loaded pitching staff lead by Jim Palmer and Dave McNally! I didn't really root for them but I did appreciate watching them play. Nobody played third base like Brooks Robinson, ever!
Old 05-08-2018, 11:49 AM   #102
Dorfmann
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariner and Giants Fan View Post
I lived in Baltimore for one year back in 1967-68. I went to about 10 Orioles games that year as it was the first time we lived in a major league City! I was 12. Back then the Orioles were a really strong team what with the Robinson boys and what a loaded pitching staff lead by Jim Palmer and Dave McNally! I didn't really root for them but I did appreciate watching them play. Nobody played third base like Brooks Robinson, ever!
They definitely have a lot of history. I was technically around the last time they won the World Series (6 months old) and there have been periods of moderate success (96-97, 2012-2016), but it's been dreadful outside of that. I will always be a fan though. There are few things I enjoy more than going to Camden Yards and watching a game.
Dorfmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 09:25 AM   #103
Juggernt
Major Leagues

56, started playing APBA tabletop baseball and football in my teens. Had a group of friends who divvied up the football teams and replayed every season from 1974-1977. Never got a group that successfully made it through a baseball season, but I still have my 1977 and 1978 cards.

Played the APBA computer version in the 90's. Haven't really played too many others. I have MLB The Show for my PS4, but I prefer playing OotP, so I have yet to boot it up. Like I think NoOne mentioned, I also prefer the managerial part to swinging the digital bat/throwing the pitch.

I grew up in Baltimore on those Orioles--the 1969-71 Orioles have still won more games over a three year span than any other team. It was glorious to watch. I wore #5 and played 3B in Little League for obvious reasons.
Juggernt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 10:18 PM   #104
Fenway
Minors (Triple A)

I'm 57, and I saw my first game in the ballpark that I use for my avatar name here. It was in the late 60s, and my first impression was how impossibly green the grass was in Fenway. I couldn't believe that such a collection of grass could exist. I marveled at that for half the game. Second impression: how far and fast those guys could throw.

I also remember asking my dad why the fans were booing Yaz. I think he said Yaz had been loafing, not running out groundballs, etc. In later years I've come to wonder whether I remember that right.

Anyway, I played Strato-Matic obsessively in the 70s. For whatever reason, Jim Kaat was the star pitcher of my little solitaire league. His Twins romped. My Red Sox did not. Later I lived in Baltimore for a year and saw 50 games at Memorial stadium (I lived a few blocks away), and I rooted for the Os against everyone but the Red Sox. Still a Sox fan today.

I've dabbled with The Show; it's fun to hit in that game. But OOTP is my go-to game for serious simming. I was part of a historical league a few seasons back, and I was sad when it went under. I actually haven't bought OOTP 19 yet, but I will.

Fenway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 09:14 PM   #105
jalundah
Bat Boy

I'm 28, have been a huge fan of sports simulations pretty much my whole life.

I started off with Baseball Mogul and DraftDaySports College Basketball when I was a teenager, in addition to Madden and NBA 2k. I liked the console games, but I liked simming franchise modes more than I liked actually playing games, so of course I loved text based sims when I found them.

I played Baseball Mogul from 2003 up until 2016, giving OOTP one go in 2012(liked it, but it was very slow on my computer at the time and BM was much simpler). I still play the DraftDaySports NCAA/Pro basketball and football games. Every few years I'll buy a Football Manager game.
jalundah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 07:49 PM   #106
dannibalcorpse
Minors (Double A)

I'm 33, grew up in New York and (unfortunately) fell in love with the Mets when I was 6. I grew up playing RBI Baseball on the NES, then found my way to World Series Baseball on Sega and the Triple Play series on the Playstation. Collected a ton of baseball cards growing up too - I always had a ton of fun taking the cards and organizing them by position and separating them into teams, then playing out the games (and keeping the stats) using the pitch-back in my backyard. Once the newer consoles came out, the baseball games got more in-depth but still didn't have enough management options for me; then I remember trying to look for something about the MLB 2K series on the Operation Sports boards and saw someone talking about OOTP. Think this was around 2011, and I've been hooked ever since.
Old 05-15-2018, 01:46 PM   #107
gmjay74
Bat Boy

I'm 43, grew up playing tabletop games (Baseball, Basketball, Football). Used to go to Minor League and MLB games in my old stomping grounds of L.A. and enjoyed the sweet sounds of Vin Scully doing the play by play for my beloved Dodgers, even after I moved to Arizona. Now my live game viewing is restricted to Spring Training games at my local facility conveniently located less than two miles away.

Played all kinds of games with and without career modes over the intervening decades on multiple consoles and over the past few years have been left out to dry by MLB The Show being a PS exclusive (I'm an Xboxer and refuse to spend the coin to play one game on the PS), so have devoted all of my "playing time" to OOTP.

Been playing OOTP since OOTP 2 and truly enjoy the immersive experience it has provided every year, especially when they became MLBPA officially licensed. Just recently got into the forums here and enjoy the wealth of knowledge!

Goodyear Ballpark
Goodyear, Arizona
Spring Training Home of the Cleveland Indians and Cincinnati Reds

"I believe managing is like holding a dove in your hand. If you hold it too tightly you kill it, but if you hold it too loosely, you lose it." - Tommy Lasorda

"Statistics are used much like a drunk uses a lamppost: for support, not illumination." - Vin Scully
gmjay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 08:07 PM   #108
benis
Minors (Rookie Ball)

17 almost 18, I've been playing since I got ootp 16 in a humble bundle for a dollar and I've been hooked ever since.
benis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 08:24 PM   #109
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by benis View Post
17 almost 18, I've been playing since I got ootp 16 in a humble bundle for a dollar and I've been hooked ever since.

And I thought I got a bargain every year at $39.99 !!!
Eugene Church is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 08:34 PM   #110
mitchkenn
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene Church View Post
And I thought I got a bargain every year at $39.99 !!!

it's a bargain at 39.99 to me!
"I saw a young man leaning on his wooden crutch - He called out to me, 'Don't ask for so much' And a young woman leaning in her darkened door She cried out to me, 'Why not ask for more?' " - Leonard Cohen
"Hello darkness, my old Friend ...." - Paul Simon
Before Mays, before DiMaggio, there was Oscar Charleston.
"All the lies about Babe Ruth are true." - Waite Hoyt

Avatar is the late great Townes Van Zandt. rip.

Last edited by mitchkenn; 05-15-2018 at 08:47 PM.
mitchkenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 04:12 PM   #111
OleDylano23
Minors (Single A)

26 years old, used to play Baseball Mogul religiously, found out about this game through Operation Sports, bought OOTP 17 and fell in love.
OleDylano23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 06:20 PM   #112
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchkenn View Post
it's a bargain at 39.99 to me!

Agree with you!... year-after-year it's the best $39.99 I have ever spent!
Old 05-20-2018, 07:06 PM   #113
progen
All Star Starter

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
I'm 63 and now live in Savannah, GA since 2016. But growing up in Chester County, PA, my buddy and I would drive to Lancaster, PA and purchase all the different APBA games at their retail store. We seemed to play the basketball, baseball, and football games all about the same. We kept stats and spent hours, especially in the summer, playing out games.

My father bought me the basketball game for Christmas back in the 70's, and a few years ago before our move, I sold it on ebay to a guy who wanted to play it with his son. Made me feel good, and I know my father would've approved of me passing it on to someone who appreciated the game.

Picked up OOTP4 in I believe 2002, and been playing ever since!
progen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 10:06 PM   #114
Ty Cobb
Hall Of Famer

and I've been in love with baseball since I was 50 less. The '68 Tigers got me started, and I've never looked back. Diehard Tigers fan, but loved the 70s era Phils & Sox too. Loved Strat-O-Matic, and even had a half-assed version written for the Apple IIe that played pretty well...and in BASIC at that. Still have that code, and keep promising to do a rewrite with my emulator, but this game pulls me away.

Favorite player as a kid: Lolich
Favorite now: Miggy
All Time: Cobb, who else?
Favorite Manager: Sparky

During my recent bout of colon cancer, in between reading like there was no tomorrow and chemo, OOTP and the community here were a huge source of joy that helped me keep my spirits up. The best part of this game isn't the code—it's the community. That starts with the Gang at OOTP, and radiates outward.
It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance.—Thomas Sowell
"Alinsky works for me now."
Ty Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 09:31 PM   #115
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Cobb View Post
and I've been in love with baseball since I was 50 less. The '68 Tigers got me started, and I've never looked back. Diehard Tigers fan, but loved the 70s era Phils & Sox too. Loved Strat-O-Matic, and even had a half-assed version written for the Apple IIe that played pretty well...and in BASIC at that. Still have that code, and keep promising to do a rewrite with my emulator, but this game pulls me away.

During my recent bout of colon cancer, in between reading like there was no tomorrow and chemo, OOTP and the community here were a huge source of joy that helped me keep my spirits up. The best part of this game isn't the code—it's the community. That starts with the Gang at OOTP, and radiates outward.

Thanks for sharing... hope all is well with you.
Old 05-30-2018, 02:54 PM   #116
jwaaa17
Bat Boy

i'm 60 and was a bigger baseball fan when I was a kid than I am now. played strat when I was in hs and college. don't know why, but decided to try the 18 demo a couple of weeks and was hooked. bought 19 a few days ago. still a newb obviously, but amazed at what an incredible game this is. kudos !
jwaaa17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 06:06 AM   #117
Juggernt
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Cobb View Post

Similar experience. Picked up the game while I was in treatment for throat cancer (thankfully only radiation and no chemo) and it helped me get through a great deal of time when the pain killers rendered me incapable of doing much else.
Juggernt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 02:11 PM   #118
DWK
All Star Reserve

I'm 61 living in South Carolina I've purchased every year since OOTP04. Best baseball sim out there.
DWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 08:16 PM   #119
TheBrewCrew
Minors (Double A)

I am 29 from Milwaukee. Haven't perused the thread for ages but I imagine I am on the younger side?

I absolutely love sports simulations (only 2 worth playing for me are OOTP and FM). Those 2 are pretty much the only computer games I play. I try doing GM stuff on the console with games like NBA 2k and Madden but it's pretty crazy how OOTP has essentially ruined those modes for me with how in depth and detailed this game is.
TheBrewCrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 02:00 PM   #120
Harry Hibbs
Minors (Double A)

62 (next week). I've bought and played most releases, beginning around OOTP3 IIRC. With each release I play for a while and then lose interest. That's changed with OOTP 19. I've never been interested in simming out years and years of my own baseball universe. I prefer the day to day nuances and challenges of managing a roster over a single season and looking for minor leaguers that can move up. I find the player animations in 19 keep me much more engaged and I'm even playing out most of my games pitch by pitch now! My poor old Giants are struggling at the foot of the NL West (I started out with Bumgarner and Samardzija on the DL, just as in RL, playing along with the RL season). My players' stats are incredibly in line with RL for the most part. We've just lost more games. I'm afraid my managerial capabilities may be suspect

I also play FM (another long lived sim that's really good with this year's version) and I fly WW1 birds in WOFF UE (amazing sim / customization of MS Combat Flight Sim 3).

It's rare to find a sim that's so deep and challenging as OOTP 19. Great work by Markus and team!!
Harry Hibbs is offline   Reply With Quote