Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Title Bout Championship Boxing > TBCB General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

TBCB General Discussions Talk about the new boxing sim, Title Bout.

Old 02-18-2015, 10:30 PM   #1
cubedrum
All Star Reserve

Anyone still playing the board game?

I purchased a new set of heavyweight cards on Ebay recently. They were published just last year, without approval from the Trunzos. No longer available for purchase, I have scanned the cards before I punched the cards. This is AN ENTIRELY NEW SET of heavyweight ratings mind you. 280 cards total. (snip)
Thanks. BTW I'm still fighting cancer here. I've beaten 5 different kinds of cancer so far. I'll keep the community updated.

Last edited by CONN CHRIS; 02-19-2015 at 09:06 AM. Reason: please do not offer to distribute other's material even if you think it's ok
cubedrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 06:08 PM   #2
cubedrum
All Star Reserve

<rant>
I understand why you would pull my link from an altruistic point of view, but you've protected a non-existant copyright from someone who actually did rip off the Trunzos. That guy grossed about 3,000 dollars in a couple months hawking those things. Further I believe these are no different than the home brewed mods and info that exists on this very forum, and for a thousand other games and copyright law backs me up on this count. </endrant>
Would it help if I worked up tbdx files with the ratings?
Old 02-20-2015, 09:10 AM   #3
hamed2
Hall Of Famer

Not me cube, at 1st it was tough to transition from the board game but now I love the computer sim version!
hamed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 05:20 PM   #4
professordp
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubedrum View Post
I purchased a new set of heavyweight cards on Ebay recently. They were published just last year, without approval from the Trunzos. No longer available for purchase, I have scanned the cards before I punched the cards. This is AN ENTIRELY NEW SET of heavyweight ratings mind you. 280 cards total. (snip)
Thanks. BTW I'm still fighting cancer here. I've beaten 5 different kinds of cancer so far. I'll keep the community updated.
Sorry to hear of your illness...my prayers are with you!

To your question, my ex-wife, in an act of hateful spite, threw out my TB board game when we "parted ways" back in the early 1990s. I was able to get my "Trunzo fix" through Haffner and subsequently TBCB.

A few years back, noting the potential for disaster and demise facing Title Bout, I bought a copy of the AH board game on eBay.It sits in my cluttered game closet, unplayed, and strictly in reserve should we realize the ultimate "worst case scenario"... i.e., the game not longer exits!

Last edited by professordp; 02-20-2015 at 05:25 PM.
professordp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 05:22 PM   #5
JCWeb
Hall Of Famer

Still Playing the Board Game Version

Hey Cube

To answer your question, yes I am still playing the board game -- mainly due to that same set of the unlicensed new HW cards (I believe there are 180, not 280), and I am still in the middle of a long project to determine an all-time HW Champion, see link to details here:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/120...tle-bout-cards

These days, I have the boardgame set up on a table next to my computer and will run both TB on the computer while also flipping cards for the boardgame version. (My only disappointment with the set was the failure to include the inimitable James "Bonecrusher" Smith, who to this date is the only college graduate to win a world HW professional boxing title.)

I have also pre-ordered the more official new version called "Advanced Title Bout" which has been delayed for some reason beyond its expected delivery date of Dec.-Jan. some time. I am a bit disppointed though, to see much fewer boxers rated compared to the original TB, although some of the revised rules look interesting.

TB is still the only game I have bought about a dozen times (in all his computer and paper iterations) and one that I continue to enjoy, going back about 35 years now since I bought the original AH version.

BTW, good luck and continued progress in your health situation.
JCWeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 09:32 PM   #6
professordp
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCWeb View Post
Hey Cube

To answer your question, yes I am still playing the board game -- mainly due to that same set of the unlicensed new HW cards (I believe there are 180, not 280), and I am still in the middle of a long project to determine an all-time HW Champion, see link to details here:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/120...tle-bout-cards

These days, I have the boardgame set up on a table next to my computer and will run both TB on the computer while also flipping cards for the boardgame version. (My only disappointment with the set was the failure to include the inimitable James "Bonecrusher" Smith, who to this date is the only college graduate to win a world HW professional boxing title.)

I have also pre-ordered the more official new version called "Advanced Title Bout" which has been delayed for some reason beyond its expected delivery date of Dec.-Jan. some time. I am a bit disppointed though, to see much fewer boxers rated compared to the original TB, although some of the revised rules look interesting.

TB is still the only game I have bought about a dozen times (in all his computer and paper iterations) and one that I continue to enjoy, going back about 35 years now since I bought the original AH version.

BTW, good luck and continued progress in your health situation.
I checked into the PT Games forum at Delphi, and Tim claims he's having problems dealing with printers for the hard copy edition. Hopefully, he'll get it off the ground. He's been running a respectable game line for five years or more, so he's a legitimate game producer.

Last edited by professordp; 02-21-2015 at 01:55 PM.
Old 02-20-2015, 09:43 PM   #7
professordp
Hall Of Famer

Kosher Cards

Since we're approaching the Hebrew celebration of Purim, I don't want to post anything that's not kosher concerning copyrighted materials, but the following is certainly in the public domain.

You can find a number of Title Bout board game related materials at the Table Top Sports forum which is pretty much a window for Jeff Downey's games.

I don't think any of this will cause a problem. Some of it dates back twelve years...with at least one item posted by Jim Trunzo!

Among the items you'll find are Excel blank card templates, sundry boxer ratings (including a set of WCW wrestlers), rules for a dice version of the game, etc.

http://www.tabletop-sports.com/modul...ownload&sid=17

If you've not seen it, it's certainly worth a look!
Old 02-21-2015, 10:33 AM   #8
Cap
Hall Of Famer

Cube, sorry to hear of your illness. Keep up the good fight. We're all with you in spirit.

As for the board game, I had it briefly before it was lost in a move. Then I bought a simple cards and dice game called Ring Legends (or was it Legends of the Ring?) from a retired cop down in Texas who was a big boxing fan. We corresponded back and forth and I suggested improvements for his game. Like I say it was a real simple game. Small index-size cards with two columns of numbers, one for offence one for defence. At one point I had added a few dozen heavyweights on my own and illustrated each card with pencil drawings which weren't bad if I recall. I typed up the new cards on a portable Brothers typewriter that was my pride and joy. No computers then.

Unfortunately, I accidentally tossed out the whole set during a clean-up.

When I got my first PC the first thing I did was load a boxing game from floppy disks. No idea who made it but it was great, considering my alternative at the time. It wasn't long before I discovered the first PC boxing game from the Trunzos and then Title Fight. I've never missed the boardgame or the cards and dice.

I'd better go and check my lottery ticket. Maybe....

Cap

Last edited by Cap; 02-21-2015 at 10:34 AM.
Cap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 03:28 AM   #9
Lee
Global Moderator

Haven't played the board game in years, but definitely miss it. Like others though I want to pass on my well wishes as you battle that damn C word. Keep fighting my friend!!
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote