Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Mods > OOTP Mods - Names and Nations

Old 10-12-2018, 12:49 AM   #1
Dogzilla
Major Leagues

Complete World Names Database v1.0

**ATTENTION** Please use the updated version here: https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...d.php?t=313685
It has links for the new world_default file and the older one for use with OOTP19 and OOTP20.

Here is my first version of a complete names database to cover all countries, with 181 names sets.
My goal is to provide realistic names for an OOTP universe, no matter what countries you add to your leagues. Here is a list of the name sets I used:

OOTP19_Names_Database_v1.txt

I've included most of the sets that come with the game, although I've vastly expanded most of them, and added 140 new sets (some of which have been posted already). Most of this is my own work, although I have incorporated some names from user-created sets into this master list (especially ohv's excellent Finnish name set, which I couldn't improve on).

The files are too large to host here, so here's the links:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/iu244n...names.txt/file
http://www.mediafire.com/file/kyd9pe...names.txt/file
http://www.mediafire.com/file/2hcnu1...OTP19.xml/file

Just download the 3 files and overwrite the files in the /database directory (make backups first!). You will have to start a new game to make them work correctly.

If you use this file set, please provide feedback if you think the sets/xml file can be improved; I plan to update and add some new sets in the future.

NOTES
My principle guiding the creation of these sets is 90% realism, 5% playability and 5% fun. I've used data when available. I've gathered most of the names from lists of sports teams, so most of the names come from males in the 18-40 group, which provide good results. I've tried to make all the sets large enough to generate names for at least a small league (100k first/last names combinations minimum) but most larger countries have at least 1 million possible combinations.
I don't play with a nickname file, so I incorporated some nicknames into the first names lists.

Last edited by Dogzilla; 03-28-2021 at 01:22 PM.
Dogzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 02:17 AM   #2
pilight
All Star Starter

I was able to incorporate this into my Title Bout game. Works fine.
pilight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 09:07 PM   #3
darkcloud4579
Hall Of Famer

Curious to see how these work. Great job compiling these!
darkcloud4579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 01:05 AM   #4
stealofhome
Hall Of Famer

I've been using this during testing for my hopeful long-term sim and the results are pretty great. I have about 15% of the players coming from random places so I get all kinds of unique nationalities and names.

I had an issue with the Dominican Republic at one point - the world file was looking for a Dominican nameset but none existed. I downloaded the files again and updated everything and now it's working perfectly again. It may have not even been from these files as I had done some other stuff previously.

Anyway, thanks for all the work on this!
stealofhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 01:28 AM   #5
Lafayette53
Major Leagues

These are giving me really good results. A couple of things I noticed while working on a league I'm setting up:
  • Peru should be around 4% Afro-Hispanic (the Hisp-Black nameset presumably).
  • Israel should be more around 15-20% Arab. Maybe a little more or less depending on their IRL percentage in the Israeli football league.
Lafayette53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 11:45 AM   #6
stealofhome
Hall Of Famer

I've been using this in my fictional league and I removed some of the smaller nationality percentage countries for the USA. It seemed like there was a larger percentage of players that had very uncommon American names. I took away the Eastern European, some Asian, etc countries - most of those that were put as a 1 rating in the US. That seems to give me a little better results.
stealofhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 08:52 PM   #7
Dogzilla
Major Leagues

Thanks for the feedback. I have noticed the algorithm will take a first name from any set that a country uses and pair it with a surname from another set, usually the dominant set. This makes countries that use a lot of sets (USA, especially) have more unusual names than I would expect statistically. I'll probably reduce the number of sets used by the USA and a few other countries in the next version.
Dogzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 02:32 AM   #8
gay_swimmer
Bat Boy

Will you be updating this mod for OOTP20?

I like this mod a lot but I've been finding the Mali namelist to come out a little repetitive. I haven't looked at the individual weightings on the name file yet but just wanted to pop in and ask if this was a known issue. (Of course my custom league has a team from Timbuktu...)
gay_swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 01:44 PM   #9
Arinelle
Bat Boy

Does this work with OOTP 20 as-is, or will it need an update to work properly? The default name database is baaaad, and I loved this in OOTP 19.

PT 21:

PT 20:
Arinelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 07:53 PM   #10
joefromchicago
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinelle View Post
Does this work with OOTP 20 as-is, or will it need an update to work properly? The default name database is baaaad, and I loved this in OOTP 19.
There should be no problems using this mod with OOTP20.
joefromchicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 03:38 PM   #11
jtnlange
Minors (Triple A)

I have loaded it up and it is working perfectly in 20. Thank you for this

Trevor L.
jtnlange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 07:32 PM   #12
KySteveH
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinelle View Post
So if I have already started a game, and I swap out these 3 files, will the new players that get created each year be from this update? That seems like it ought to work.
KySteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 05:19 PM   #13
Rain King
Hall Of Famer

Each saved game remembers its' original file. So, you will need to re-import it in that specific Save under Game Settings --> Database.
Rain King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 02:59 PM   #14
andyhdz
All Star Starter

last time I check trying to import to an existing saved universe wont' work. I gave up trying to do it. if you get it to work please let me know.
andyhdz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 03:46 PM   #15
darkcloud4579
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyhdz View Post
last time I check trying to import to an existing saved universe wont' work. I gave up trying to do it. if you get it to work please let me know.
Works without a hitch, you just need to import via the database tab. Important to make sure you import the world_default.xml first and replace the data, don't just update. Then add the two names file and you should be in good shape.

Step 1: Reimport world database
Step 2: Report name + ethnicity database
Step 3: Profit
Old 07-20-2019, 08:04 PM   #16
albatross11
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkcloud4579 View Post
Works without a hitch, you just need to import via the database tab. Important to make sure you import the world_default.xml first and replace the data, don't just update. Then add the two names file and you should be in good shape.

Step 1: Reimport world database
Step 2: Report name + ethnicity database
Step 3: Profit

This. I do it quite often.

albatross
albatross11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 04:07 AM   #17
WindGuardian
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I tried using the world default for this in OOTP 21, and it's not working anymore. It worked perfectly in OOTP 20, but now it crashes whenever it is loaded.
WindGuardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 12:00 AM   #18
darkcloud4579
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindGuardian View Post
I tried using the world default for this in OOTP 21, and it's not working anymore. It worked perfectly in OOTP 20, but now it crashes whenever it is loaded.
You cannot copy it over and overwrite your existing world.dat file. Open an existing league, then import the world.dat and the name files, then they'll work with new leagues.
Old 04-05-2020, 06:28 PM   #19
humidor
Bat Boy

I'm actually having similar issues in OOTP 21 as well. If I try to replace the world_default file with this one before starting a new game, the system will crash while setting up the league due to an issue related to the geographical data. If I try to import the names and world_default files after I create the game, delete the league, and start a new league, the players will not have the updated names. Not sure exactly why (and I haven't played OOTP since 16 so I have forgotten most of how to mod) but it's quite frustrating - I loved adding the name sets in the past!
humidor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 06:30 PM   #20
mrbucket
All Star Reserve

Go into the file and change the WORLD line from version="2" to version="3" and it should work again. See attached image for how it should look.
Attached Images