Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Title Bout Championship Boxing > TBCB General Discussions

TBCB General Discussions Talk about the new boxing sim, Title Bout.

Old 04-26-2014, 05:20 PM   #81
bob_bask
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CONN CHRIS View Post
Links on this page were what I was referring to. They generate the garbled web page that I posted earlier.

Title Bout Championship Boxing - predictions-billyc_2014-04-17
Can't explain this, but I am able to download these files through the links. Perhaps it is your browser?

"I occasionally agreed to carry an opponent, almost always in what is known as a tune-up fight. I never considered it morally wrong as long as I was winning the fight. I was never a killer, like some fighters. I never enjoyed knocking out a guy who I knew had no chance to beat me." Sugar Ray Robinson
bob_bask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 05:25 PM   #82
CONN CHRIS
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_bask View Post
Can't explain this, but I am able to download these files through the links. Perhaps it is your browser?

Could be - using IE. No worries then
Old 04-26-2014, 05:29 PM   #83
CONN CHRIS
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceTea View Post
If the Billy C exposure is what the game needs to stay afloat, then I don't have an issue with it. Hopefully the accuracy rate is at least 66%. These type of simulation games, as with strat-o-matic and APBA, generally only appeal to those over 40 who were attracted to such games that tasks the imagination rather than playing it out for you on a television.

That is sort of the problem though. 66% is what would be considered a success? This is at 65% Y-T-D which is dead last and bad week or two away from being in the range of a coin flip. This can't possibly be good exposure unless I misunderstand the meaning of good exposure.
Old 04-26-2014, 05:47 PM   #84
IceTea
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
That is sort of the problem though. 66% is what would be considered a success? This is at 65% Y-T-D which is dead last and bad week or two away from being in the range of a coin flip. This can't possibly be good exposure unless I misunderstand the meaning of good exposure.
I don't have the sales numbers. It isn't an accurate predictor of the game since 66% of the fighters posted aren't in the actual database. I would rather see just the upper echelon be simulated. I would suspect that the accuracy would be better than 65%.

Last edited by IceTea; 04-26-2014 at 05:53 PM.
IceTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 05:57 PM   #85
CONN CHRIS
Global Moderator

Quote:
I don't have the sales numbers. It isn't an accurate predictor of the game since 66% of the fighters posted aren't in the actual database. I would rather see just the upper echelon be simulated. I would suspect that the accuracy would be better than 65%.

I am not following you Mark, what do sales numbers have to do with a 66% accuracy rate being something hoped for?
Old 04-26-2014, 06:18 PM   #86
IceTea
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I am not following you Mark, what do sales numbers have to do with a 66% accuracy rate being something hoped for?
I assume that they are involved with the Billy C show to boost sales.
Old 04-26-2014, 07:55 PM   #87
bear
Global Moderator

Quote:
Bear:

Links on this page were what I was referring to. They generate the garbled web page that I posted earlier.

Title Bout Championship Boxing - predictions-billyc_2014-04-17

Those links are on Paul's website. I send him a zip of the files and he loads them on the page.

They worked for me when I checked them though

UTBA Season Four Gold Conference Central Division Champion

First UTBA expansion franchise to win a conference divisional title
bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 08:13 PM   #88
IceTea
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear View Post
Those links are on Paul's website. I send him a zip of the files and he loads them on the page.

They worked for me when I checked them though
They worked for me.
Old 04-26-2014, 08:27 PM   #89
IceTea
Hall Of Famer

Regardless of the motivations of those in charge, joining the Billy C challenge might have been a necessary move to gain a new audience for the game.

I was talking with Billy C about the game and he mentioned that the old time fighters generally outclass the current fighters and that if younger people were raters in the game, that it wouldn't be the case. It appears a member of his team (Alex P) runs simulations pitting old time fighters against the current crop and mentions them on the radio show.

It is my opinion that if they simulated fights only involving fighters in the database and they were placed in the proper career stage, that the stats would be around 75% which is respectable considering that the game is essentially a career simulation. However, I do recall the review I read in a gamer magazine 12 years ago when I discovered title bout, that it mentioned simulating individual matchups (Tyson vs Dempsey) as the most appealing aspect of the game.
Old 04-27-2014, 04:26 AM   #90
bob_bask
Hall Of Famer

Looks like TB done pretty good this week.

Two no-go fights in Lebedev-Jones and Troyanovsky-Abril, but without any spoilers - looking good from results I've seen.

"I occasionally agreed to carry an opponent, almost always in what is known as a tune-up fight. I never considered it morally wrong as long as I was winning the fight. I was never a killer, like some fighters. I never enjoyed knocking out a guy who I knew had no chance to beat me." Sugar Ray Robinson
bob_bask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 07:44 AM   #91
CONN CHRIS
Global Moderator

Quote:
Looks like TB done pretty good this week.

Two no-go fights in Lebedev-Jones and Troyanovsky-Abril, but without any spoilers - looking good from results I've seen.

I feel like no one gets this.

Title Bout isn't doing poorly, the people that decide which young active fighter is going to win a given fight are doing poorly and title bout historically looks awful through no fault of its own.

Title Bout didn't do pretty well this week, the person/people deciding which young active fighter is going to win did pretty well this week and title bout looks pretty good this weekend through no effort of its own.

TB is a simulation of the past. What is being done here is to jimmy up ratings based on one person or several people's best guess about an upcoming weekend slate of cards. That isn't what this game is designed for and why TB has a dead last overall record of 65% prior to this weekend. Historically, they have been really poor guesses. I hope that turns around because Paul seems to have no marketing plan B.

But hey, Mark thinks that a 66% accuracy rate is fairly decent and I seem to be the only one that thinks this is damaging rather than enhancing the title's image so what the heck do I know.
Old 04-27-2014, 09:07 AM   #92
CONN CHRIS
Global Moderator

Here's another way to look at this: If the decision about what ratings to use had been given over time to literally any name on that list of handicappers at BillyC's site, Title Bout would have a better track record. Of course, it wouldn't really be the game's track record as it isn't now but no one there would get that. Heck, the people that use the game don't even seem to get that.

Being in this competition is not putting Title Bout on display. It is merely telling people there that Title Bout exists and leaves the impression that it is only a few steps removed from Henrietta the stock picking chicken. A banner ad at BillyC's site would have done far more for the game's image or at the very least wouldn't have had people laughing at it.
Old 04-27-2014, 09:45 AM   #93
Thunder
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
But hey, Mark thinks that a 66% accuracy rate is fairly decent and I seem to be the only one that thinks this is damaging rather than enhancing the title's image so what the heck do I know.
Quote:
Here's another way to look at this: If the decision about what ratings to use had been given over time to literally any name on that list of handicappers at BillyC's site, Title Bout would have a better track record. Of course, it wouldn't really be the game's track record as it isn't now but no one there would get that. Heck, the people that use the game don't even seem to get that.

Being in this competition is not putting Title Bout on display. It is merely telling people there that Title Bout exists and leaves the impression that it is only a few steps removed from Henrietta the stock picking chicken. A banner ad at BillyC's site would have done far more for the game's image or at the very least wouldn't have had people laughing at it.
No, you're not alone.

When 19 people try to pick better than Title Bout and 19 people succeed it sends the obvious message that either a) the game engine, b) the ratings or c) both, are lousy.

Hey You: You can do a better job simulating a fight in your head than Title Bout can, but buy our game anyway . . . is NOT a good marketing campaign.

Someone should probably arrange for TBs departure from the contest.
Old 04-27-2014, 09:51 AM   #94
Thunder
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Yeah I can see the impossible task of raising the games standing in the years rankings, but there are the monthly ones to aim for.

Title Bout is further behind in last place for the April competition than it is for the year (thru April 22). It's not getting better, it's getting worse.
Old 04-27-2014, 10:56 AM   #95
IceTea
Hall Of Famer

I'm certain that Bear will do a great job.

Last edited by IceTea; 04-27-2014 at 11:53 PM.
Old 04-27-2014, 05:44 PM   #96
CONN CHRIS
Global Moderator

It would appear that Bob Bask has decided to go which is a real shame. I like him and what he contributes here.

It's a bigger shame that we can't discuss an 800 pound gorilla that has been in the room for more than a year without people leaving over it. This isn't the fault of Brad or PWillis or Bear or anyone really. The BillyC challenge is a format where TBCB is asked be something it isn't in a proposition where it will either look good or fail. If you want to set it up to be judged, at least have it doing what it was intended to do in one of the many what-if forums on various boxing sites not doing what it isn't meant for against handicappers. Pick a fair fight or don't bother.

If I am wrong, someone please tell me. I don't see this as a great bit of exposure regardless the means or ends. I can find someone that will stand on a street corner in Conestoga and tell people that TBCB is horrible for free. I don't believe that exposure is good either.

Sometimes free exposure is good, sometimes it's worth what you've paid for it and other times, it's worth much less than that.
Old 04-27-2014, 05:59 PM   #97
CONN CHRIS
Global Moderator

Quote:
It appears a member of his team (Alex P) runs simulations pitting old time fighters against the current crop and mentions them on the radio show.

Here's a better avenue. Talk to this fellow and see if he wants to set some other thing up that showcases TBCB doing what it's meant to do.

I have seen (though I do not participate in) what if contests and the like in the East Side and Boxrec forums. I have stumbled on others as well.

What I fail to understand is why Paul (who I believe is the whole 'team' now) doesn't put a little bit of effort into marketing. Yes, I know, there is no budget for it - that's why TBCB is in the BillyC challenge. But even he has to see that this is hurting not helping. It isn't my skin in this thing, but if it was I would at least take a day and scour the internet for all boxing or sports discussion forums where some sort of what-if stuff is happening. Contact all those admins and offer to set something up for them. You have uber dedicated volunteers around here that would dive in and do a great job. Cost to you - nothing.

Instead, the plan seems to be to continue tilting at a windmill that TBCB wasn't even meant to do battle with. It feels like someone is actually trying to ensure that this game never gets out of its infancy. I've been here for the better part of a decade and well over half of that time was spent loving this game and being involved up to my elbows in trying to make it better in some way. I find all of this disheartening and have wondered (more frequently as time goes by) if it isn't time to just let go.

Now, we can't even have a conversation about something that isn't working, isn't appropriate and is likely having the opposite effect of what was intended?
Old 04-27-2014, 06:12 PM   #98
IceTea
Hall Of Famer

Without many of the volunteers over the years, there wouldn't be a game.

Last edited by IceTea; 05-05-2014 at 06:13 PM.
Old 05-01-2014, 09:57 AM   #99
bear
Global Moderator

Here are the first fights for May:

Ratko Draskovic vs levan jomardashvili

chad gaynor vs adil anwar

saul montes vs randy Fuentes

Nathan cleverly vs sean corbin

Arthur Abraham vs nikola sjekloca

jleon love vs marco Antonio periban

adrien broner vs carlos Molina

amir khan vs luis collazo

Floyd mayweather vs marcos maidana

ishe smith vs ryan davis

Old 05-01-2014, 01:22 PM   #100
bear
Global Moderator

13 fighters in the stock DB. Here's the break down

levan jomardashvili SDB CW slugger 2
Nathan cleverly SDB LHW slugger 6
Arthur Abraham SDB SMW either 10
nikola sjekloca SDB SMW boxer 4
jleon love SDB MW either 5
marco Antonio periban SDB SMW either 6
adrien broner SDB WW either 7
carlos Molina SDB JMW either 6
amir khan SDB JWW boxer 8
luis collazo SDB WW either 7
Floyd mayweather SDB WW boxer 12
marcos maidana SDV ww slugger 7
ishe smith SDB JMW either 4

Ratko Draskovic tweaked by bear HW slugger 1
adil anwar created by Pwiliis JWW boxer 3
randy Fuentes created by John Dewey LW boxer 2
ryan davis Created by John Dewey MW slugger 1

need to create chad gaynor, saul montes, and sean corbin
I'll probably tweak Fuentes down to reflect his current 4-2 status, but that depends on what I come up with for Montes

While I work on these guys I'd like input

Things to consider
Anybody needing to be post prime?
move Love up to SMW or Periban down to MW, any tweaks when doing either
Broner upto JMW, or Molina down to WW. (I'm thinking the latter) any tweaks when doing either
Cleverly up to CW, looks unlikely this Corbin will shrink to LHW,

Last edited by bear; 05-01-2014 at 01:37 PM.