Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - New to the Game?
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 20 - New to the Game? If you have basic questions about the the latest version of our game, please come here!

Old 05-21-2019, 05:28 PM   #1
Gruber_Tagged_Him
Minors (Triple A)

Possible side effects of raising the cash a team can carry over until the next year

So I'm not new per se but am not hugely experienced so I thought I'd put this here instead of in General.

It's a bit frustrating to budget carefully and then have the owner skim off all but $10,000,000 of my built-up savings.

I want to bump up that amount, but in the back of my head (well, actually in the front of my head, doesn't the back take care of heartbeats and lungs and such?) I'm wondering if I won't just make the richer teams even more powerful? Or possibly kick off a bit of salary inflation?
Gruber_Tagged_Him is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 04:37 PM   #2
chazzycat
All Star Starter

Not exactly what you're asking, but usually to prevent this I just dump my extra $$ into my player development budget. I'd much rather the money go to some use, ANY other use, than ending up in my owners pocket.
chazzycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 11:42 AM   #3
Leo_The_Lip
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gruber_Tagged_Him View Post
So I'm not new per se but am not hugely experienced so I thought I'd put this here instead of in General.

It's a bit frustrating to budget carefully and then have the owner skim off all but $10,000,000 of my built-up savings.

I want to bump up that amount, but in the back of my head (well, actually in the front of my head, doesn't the back take care of heartbeats and lungs and such?) I'm wondering if I won't just make the richer teams even more powerful? Or possibly kick off a bit of salary inflation?
Financials are absurdly wrong in OOTP--always have been. No organization in capitalist society is run this way (can't say anything for the Commies!).

In any kind of real world organization you are given a budget in order to produce a result. Stick to it, and you are good.

Taking money out of, or putting it into, a business has NOTHING to do with budgeting.

Until the developers wrap their heads around that basic fact OOTP financials will never work and will continue to produce absurd situations like this.
Old 06-26-2019, 09:28 PM   #4
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

OP:

So, it can have side effects. If too high, you will invert FA/Extension costs, since one has access to that pool of money and one does not. Teams will overspend on extensions and it will drive FA market demand down. You simply have to wait for player demands to drop before bidding on them. teams won't have money.

if unlimited, some teams will have a billion dollars in short order. each extension will cost them max++ relative to quality of player. the game works on supply and demand. tons of moneys = high extension demand.

some less greedy will obviously ask for less.

i wouldn't recommend making it unlimited. 10M is default and works well. in years past i've seen those in forum say 30M is fine too.

your budget should increase as you make money. current year's budget is based on last year's revenues. it lags.

some settings and game wrinkles will influence this. does owner have control over budget or all available? do you have a greedy owner? you might just want to make full budget available to all teams regardless of miserly owner or not. this should make your budget rise faster or at least to a higher ceiling with a pud owner.

in spite of what leo says, it mostly works on supply vs demand. fairly rational. fairly reasonable. not fine tuned enough to allow unlimited cash on hand and other aspects of revenues/income over 10-50-or-100 years etc.

it's a good thing the owner swipes your surplus. Spend it next time. Don't waste it. Think ahead
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 04:02 PM   #5
Ty Cobb
Hall Of Famer

I've heard that if you accumulate too much cash (1bln+ range) it can sometimes crash you.
It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance.—Thomas Sowell
"Alinsky works for me now."
Ty Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 09:58 PM   #6
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

it's 2^32 / 2

(2.18 billion?)

it's an overflow problem that you can avoid by applying the financial coefficient setting. it'll read >2.18 billion, but it's not actually beyond the memory footprint of that particular variable, or anything that works with that number that could result in an overflow.

it's trying to do the math, but it ran out of little counter beads! it only has a couple billion positive ones the negative 2.18 billion doesn't help much, but it's got to be 'signed'
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote