Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 03-17-2020, 11:59 AM   #1
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Panthers signing Bridgewater, "letting" Newton seek a trade

End of an era.......
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
June 7, 1958 - Apr 21, 2016
Cobra Mgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 03:46 PM   #2
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

This is interesting: "It's a quick reversal for the Panthers, who just weeks ago insisted they wanted to keep Newton in Carolina. On Tuesday, the team announced it agreed to let the 2015 NFL MVP seek a trade, an announcement Newton subsequently said was forced upon him."

- Bru

Déjà Bru is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 03:59 PM   #3
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 1/0 (0)
With the QB shuffle I think the Panthers are thinking they want to punt on the next 1-2 seasons and go through a rebuild.
rudel.dietrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 05:41 PM   #4
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

I don't think this is surprising seeing as they signed Teddy for 3 yrs at the same rate as Cam would get this year. That gives them surety for future payrolls.

Local media are pitching a fit because of what the front office was saying prior to this. They repeatedly said they wanted Cam back. My answer to them is, "if you believed them, why did you ask them multiple times?" They obviously didn't trust them or else, answering once would suffice. So why are you now acting so shocked?

My problem w/the front office is the shady way they are letting these vets go. The rebuild is probably happening a year too late. It was delayed in hopes Cam would be healthy a full year. They aren't making the same mistake twice. You spend billions on a purchase, you want to put your fingerprints on it. So no one should fault or blame Tepper for going this route.

But he shouldn't be telling the public these divorces are mutual if they weren't. When fan favorites like Cam & Olsen are contradicting those press releases, it turns the public sentiment against you. And it tells players across the league "Don't trust me." Players that were locally popular and worked in the community like these 2 should be treated with more dignity and honesty even if the present regime did not bring them to Charlotte.

I can tell you, the majority of people in North Carolina aren't cold business thinkers, particularly with sports. Places like Boston & New York love the ones that bring titles. In NC, they love you because you made a home here. Being a neighbor means something. Cam & Greg were neighbors, not employees. Carolina have a long tolerance for losers. We don't have a long tolerance for losing jerks.

Be honest. Tepper & Rhule, you have every right to strip this thing to the foundation and star anew. As sentimental as I might be about Panther players, I recognize, long term, these changes are the way to go. I can be patient waiting to see how this plays out in 2022-23. But I'm not here for the bull. Be straightforward and stop trying to spin stuff. Be men, stand up for your choices whether they are popular or not, and stop trying to make other players look like the bad guys that didn't want to stay here. Tell the truth. You felt it was time for them to go.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
June 7, 1958 - Apr 21, 2016
Cobra Mgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 07:51 PM   #5
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

I don't see how anything they are doing indicates a "rebuild." The only thing that really hurts from this off-season is Kuechly retiring which obviously no one wanted.

Cam isn't the Cam of 2015. Teddy is a better QB going into next year. At the time they wanted him back but then Teddy became available on the market and signed for a very reasonable price.

Olsen was constantly flirting with leaving for the announcers booth. He's 35 and has just 1000 yards over the past three seasons. Again, not the Olsen of 2015.
dkgo is offline   Reply With Quote