Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 10-08-2019, 11:47 AM   #1
monkeyman576
Hall Of Famer

NBA 2019 Thread

China to cancel NBA telecasts after pro-democracy tweets:

"We're strongly dissatisfied and oppose Adam Silver's claim to support Morey's right to freedom of expression," the statement read. "We believe that any remarks that challenge national sovereignty and social stability are not within the scope of freedom of speech."

James Harden: "We apologize. You know, we love China. We love playing there," Harden said. "For both of us individually, we go there once or twice a year. They show us the most important love."

This is totally opposite the concept of freedom of speech. It's a little rediculous that we have to be apologetic to China but China doesn't have to respect our free speech standards.

Last edited by monkeyman576; 10-08-2019 at 11:48 AM.
monkeyman576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 12:49 PM   #2
Rizon
Hall Of Famer

I've always really disliked Harden and the Rockets, so this is just another reason to dislike them more.
Old 10-08-2019, 04:10 PM   #3
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
To bad this story has to mar the pre-season and training camp.

The NBA prides itself as a progressive league at the forefront of social change. It will be interesting to see where this story goes.
This is kind of a 'rubber meets road' situation. Do you continue to be guided by your ethics even though it may cost potentially hundreds of millions of dollars?
rudel.dietrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 05:42 PM   #4
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Truth is, if the NBA and every other so-called "pro-democracy" corporation was worried about ethics, they wouldn't have entered China in the first place. But all companies see is a billion potential customers.

The above should not in any way, shape or form be considered siding w/the demonstrators. Nor should this disclaimer be seen as sympathetic towards Red China.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
June 7, 1958 - Apr 21, 2016
Cobra Mgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 06:17 PM   #5
monkeyman576
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Mgr View Post
Truth is, if the NBA and every other so-called "pro-democracy" corporation was worried about ethics, they wouldn't have entered China in the first place. But all companies see is a billion potential customers.

The above should not in any way, shape or form be considered siding w/the demonstrators. Nor should this disclaimer be seen as sympathetic towards Red China.
I don't think that's a fair representation. China is moving towards Capitalism in many areas. Their bark is worse than their bite. It doesn't mean there should not be any American business interests in China.
Old 10-08-2019, 06:34 PM   #6
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyman576 View Post
I don't think that's a fair representation. China is moving towards Capitalism in many areas. Their bark is worse than their bite. It doesn't mean there should not be any American business interests in China.
I'd invite you to look up how they are treating different religions, particularly foreign missionaries. Also look at the surveillance tech & policy they are about to institute in their country. That corporations are attempting to import. This is just the tip of the iceberg.

China is looking to strengthen their power & bank accounts. Not trying to move towards liberty for their citizens. If they are threatening to suspend business w/a billion dollar conglomerate for one lone exec's comments, freedom of thought is NOT on the country's agenda. This is a paranoid nation looking to seize control of everything they see because of their fear, just like any personality disordered individual. And the corporate world's greed for their billion+ consumers has pushed governments to compromise their phony values in order to gain access.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 10-08-2019, 06:40 PM   #7
monkeyman576
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'd invite you to look up how they are treating different religions, particularly foreign missionaries. Also look at the surveillance tech & policy they are about to institute in their country. That corporations are attempting to import. This is just the tip of the iceberg.

China is looking to strengthen their power & bank accounts. Not trying to move towards liberty for their citizens. If they are threatening to suspend business w/a billion dollar conglomerate for one lone exec's comments, freedom of thought is NOT on the country's agenda. This is a paranoid nation looking to seize control of everything they see because of their fear, just like any personality disordered individual. And the corporate world's greed for their billion+ consumers has pushed governments to compromise their phony values in order to gain access.
This is a fairly black and white perspective, and not at all based in reality. China is far from a perfect nation, but there can be no doubt that economically there has been a dramatic shift and it is far from say, Soviet Russia, and where capitalism goes, human rights generally follow.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/rainerz.../#f507cf83b9d7

Last edited by monkeyman576; 10-08-2019 at 06:42 PM.
Old 10-08-2019, 08:12 PM   #8
thehef
Hall Of Famer

The NBA's reaction is typical of the Social Justice Warriorism mentality that is rampant in the U.S.: Screaming and howling - because it is politically advantageous - when it claims to see "injustices" within our borders, but mostly blind to them elsewhere when it is not.
thehef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 08:12 PM   #9
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
This is a fairly black and white perspective, and not at all based in reality. China is far from a perfect nation, but there can be no doubt that economically there has been a dramatic shift and it is far from say, Soviet Russia, and where capitalism goes, human rights generally follow.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/rainerz.../#f507cf83b9d7
I'll just say I don't give a flip about capitalism. I care foremost about freedom of worship. And no society that attempts to restrict a person's reach to God could ever merit cooperation in my eye.

Not going to continue cause this is an NBA thread, not a political one.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance

Last edited by Cobra Mgr; 10-08-2019 at 08:13 PM.
Old 10-08-2019, 08:51 PM   #10
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Once this get moved I will start a real NBA season thread
rudel.dietrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 09:03 PM   #11
monkeyman576
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'll just say I don't give a flip about capitalism. I care foremost about freedom of worship. And no society that attempts to restrict a person's reach to God could ever merit cooperation in my eye.

Not going to continue cause this is an NBA thread, not a political one.
Sports and politics often go hand in hand.
Old 10-08-2019, 10:03 PM   #12
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

So who's ready to see ESPN lead off every SportsCenter with a dunk from Zion?

4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 10-08-2019, 10:11 PM   #13
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Pitiful
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 10-09-2019, 01:10 AM   #14
knightdreamer2k
Major Leagues

Quote:

Without getting too political some of the same can be said about the US.
knightdreamer2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 08:08 AM   #15
Reed
All Star Starter

A business needs to be consistent, IMO. If they refuse to play in a certain state because they do not have transgender bathrooms etc., then they certainly should not play in China. But they will because they want the money. I heard yesterday that China has more NBA viewers than the United States.
Also saw where China has put several thousand Muslins into “camps” for “indoctrination”.
Do not mistake capitalism for basic freedoms.

Last edited by Reed; 10-09-2019 at 08:18 AM. Reason: Added info
Reed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 11:05 AM   #16
monkeyman576
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reed View Post
A business needs to be consistent, IMO. If they refuse to play in a certain state because they do not have transgender bathrooms etc., then they certainly should not play in China. But they will because they want the money. I heard yesterday that China has more NBA viewers than the United States.
Also saw where China has put several thousand Muslins into “camps” for “indoctrination”.
Do not mistake capitalism for basic freedoms.
The difference is that the transgender issue is in our own country while China is not. It is more difficult to police the world than ourselves. It's a fine line, but arguably the best way to bring freedoms to other people is to allow western practices like free market sports to be seen worldwide.
Old 10-09-2019, 11:32 AM   #17
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

If I put the number at 20, would you guys take the over or under on Hornets wins?
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 10-09-2019, 11:37 AM   #18
monkeyman576
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
If I put the number at 20, would you guys take the over or under on Hornets wins?
Well, the vegas odds are at 35, so I'll take the over.
Old 10-09-2019, 12:20 PM   #19
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Well, the vegas odds are at 35, so I'll take the over.
35??
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 10-09-2019, 12:45 PM   #20
monkeyman576
Hall Of Famer

My bad, 23-30.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com...a-predictions/