Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 16 > OOTP 16 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 16 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2015 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 11-25-2015, 12:21 PM   #1
Thunder
Hall Of Famer

Draft pick trading questions

I never used this, but I'm playing a fictional league, so I thought I'd give it a spin.

Question 1
According to the Game Settings/Rules tab (2012 CBA rules) a team loses its first-round draft pick for signing a compensation-eligible player. If I have traded that pick, will I lose my next highest pick, or nothing if I sign such a player?

Question 2
If the answer to Question 1 is "nothing" and I acquire another team's No. 1 before the draft, will the AI see that as my pick and eliminate it?

Question 3
And unrelated, but since I'm here . . .
Per the CBA, Top 10 picks are protected when you sign a compensation-eligible FA (you lose your next pick in that case). Does the game alter that number, based on the number of teams in the majors, or is it always 10? In other words, if I have a 12-team majors, it'll be rare to lose a #1 this way (and not much of a penalty or penalty threat at all) if the number doesn't change.

Thanks!
Old 11-25-2015, 01:44 PM   #2
jpeters1734
Hall Of Famer

No idea, but I'm subscribing to this

Founder and League Caretaker of the Professional Baseball Circuit, www.probaseballcircuit.com

An Un-Official Guide to Minor League Management in OOTP 21

Ratings Scale Conversion Cross-Reference Cheat Sheet
jpeters1734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 04:59 PM   #3
Lockdog
Minors (Triple A)

Not sure about Q1 and Q2. Regarding Q3, the top 10 picks represent 1/3 of the teams in MLB. Perhaps the top four picks out of 12 teams would be protected.
Lockdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 05:25 PM   #4
Thunder
Hall Of Famer

Ok, I answered Q1 and (I think) Q2 on my own.

Q1: I had traded my #1 already and signed a player who was compensation-eligible (had been given a Qualifying Offer).

I had the #10 and #17 picks in Round 2 before the signing and just the #16 after. So my best pick was eliminated, even though it wasn't a first-rounder.

Q2: Does not seem to be applicable to any situation. Since my top pick was eliminated at the time of the FA signing, I imagine I can trade for a #1 going forward without fear of losing it.
Old 11-25-2015, 11:49 PM   #5
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

question 3: i've always heard "top-third" is protected, but relying on what the media says isn't necessarily a good thing. if you look up the official rules, the exact verbage will tell you the answer.

since there is only limited trading allowed in the mlb, it's tough to guess the exact rules about trading draft picks.

Q#1 was the #10 your original or one you got from a trade?

that could answer the possibility of Q2.

or, just avoid it all and trade the picks sometime after you are done signing free agents. still good to know for future reference. i'm curious if you lost your pick or one you received in a trade.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 06:58 AM   #6
Thunder
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOne View Post
question 3: i've always heard "top-third" is protected, but relying on what the media says isn't necessarily a good thing. if you look up the official rules, the exact verbage will tell you the answer.

since there is only limited trading allowed in the mlb, it's tough to guess the exact rules about trading draft picks.

Q#1 was the #10 your original or one you got from a trade?

that could answer the possibility of Q2.

or, just avoid it all and trade the picks sometime after you are done signing free agents. still good to know for future reference. i'm curious if you lost your pick or one you received in a trade.
Same here, familiar with "top third" expression, but not sure it's recreated in OOTP.

The Round 2, #10 pick I had received in a trade, the Round 2, #17 pick was mine originally.
So at the time of the FA singing, you lose your top pick, whatever it is and however you got it.

Last edited by Thunder; 11-26-2015 at 07:01 AM.
Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote