Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 16 > OOTP 16 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 16 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2015 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 11-10-2015, 11:56 PM   #1
McGuiser
Major Leagues

How best to use spring training?

New to OOTP16 (long-time player of iOOTP/MLB) with a question:

I just fired up 1871, and am wondering about spring training. My bench coach wants to use the lineup and pitching that I anticipate using for the regular season --

- - - but shouldn't I instead play batters and pitchers with some room between their current rating and their potential? Will playing in spring training speed their development? Would failures during spring training set them back?

My assumptions are usually wrong, but I assume that spring training does nothing to enhance or prepare my regulars. Not sure if they can get badly injured in spring training, come to think of it.

So, if you play out spring training rather than auto-play past it, what is your strategy? Thanks.
McGuiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 12:06 AM   #2
ihatenames
Hall Of Famer

Spring training is great for removing "rust" from players. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I do not believe it speeds up player development at all, with the exception of learning a new position. I believe players do learn new positions more quickly during spring training.

I typically use my regular line-up most of the time but it's also a good time to get a feel for this fringe guys or new prospects just like real life. You can see the prospect face MLB level pitching. The sample size is very small but i still use the information for position battle for my own immersion. I always use a 6 man rotation as well. Keeps my starters innings down and gives me a extra slot for a prospect or starter position battle.
Old 11-11-2015, 09:08 AM   #3
McGuiser
Major Leagues

Thanks, Ihatenames. The manual mentions the rust issue, but is unclear about whether regulars need most of the playing time. I like the idea of at least trying out one or two players.
McGuiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 11:43 AM   #4
psd
Major Leagues

I rarely bring more than 35 players into ST. Usually just my starting lineup, and 5 prospects closest to Major League ready, and 5 pitchers to keep the starters innings at reasonable levels, like Ihatenames. You really don't need more than that.
psd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 10:39 AM   #5
Thunder
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatenames View Post
Spring training is great for removing "rust" from players. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I do not believe it speeds up player development at all, with the exception of learning a new position. I believe players do learn new positions more quickly during spring training.

I typically use my regular line-up most of the time but it's also a good time to get a feel for this fringe guys or new prospects just like real life. You can see the prospect face MLB level pitching. The sample size is very small but i still use the information for position battle for my own immersion. I always use a 6 man rotation as well. Keeps my starters innings down and gives me a extra slot for a prospect or starter position battle.
Yes, players learn new positions much quicker. I posted something on the OOTP16 thread after reading your post, should have done it here.

In a nutshell, I had a guy with Experience: 30/Skill: 21 at 2B and gave him 65 PA worth of time at the position and he had gone up to 68/47 by the end of spring training.

The same amount of time at AAA then only bumped him up to 78/53.

I may start using ST more to give expected minor leaguers a chance to improve defensive skills.

And I use six SP as well . . and shuffling guys in and out, more like seven at times.
Old 11-28-2015, 01:18 AM   #6
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

it's a mlb development environment, so there is likely some benefit to your prospects. i believe this is either faster or in some way less restricted as a minor league.

do they develop in minors at this time the same as during their season? that might add into that affect. instead of random changes, they have playing time?? not sure on that one

"they" say you need ~100 ab to get ready. not sure if i read that in ootp or just some baseball site, but they likely follow something similar.

the AI substitutes alot in spring training, even if you don't setup the depth chart.

i think you can sub every 3rd 4th day and still get ~90-100ab. if it's a well-rated prospect i might do every 3rd, while chumps i'll stick to if tired or maybe every 5-7 days. i don't think i run into any "rust" when the season starts while adhering to this. i use a 6-man rotation and if i have too many pitchers in camp i use roles to limit the lesser prospects. middle relief use less often, buried.

i'd bring any future 'average' mlb player. that means 45-55+ on a 20-80scale. they don't have to play to benefit from the mlb development, from what i read in the manual (been a while, so double check).

Last edited by NoOne; 11-28-2015 at 01:22 AM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote