Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: New to the game?

Earlier versions of OOTP: New to the game? A place for all new Out of the Park Baseball fans to ask questions about the game.

Old 04-11-2012, 10:55 AM   #1
Gixugif
Minors (Rookie Ball)

About creating a small custom league

I haven't been playing OOT too long. I started with 12, but haven't done too much with it. I really like 13 so far though. Awesome improvements.

So, I thought it would be cool to create a tiny little league as something that would build up over time to a large major league organization, country-wide or world-wide or whatever, starting from something like a little hobby-league with no financials.

Not sure how possible this is though. I know it's possible to start out like this, but is it realistic to have it build up to a large organization over time?

Right now I have a a 4-team league (probably should have started it at least a little bigger, but this isn't too important at the moment), no financials, no drafts. Very simple rules. When creating this I made sure all of the "dynamically evolving league options" (expansions, relocation, etc.) were selected too.

So, as I said I'm curious if anyone has any idea how possible this would be, and if anyone has any suggestions on how to make this work? I imagine the dynamic evolution won't do everything and that I'll have manually add and change things too.
Gixugif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 04:31 PM   #2
redwa
Minors (Single A)

The smallest I have started out with is 16 teams and the league grew to 28 before I blew it up to start the next version of OOPT. It was completely fictional 90 game schedule and after 80 seasons I only had to move one team due to poor attendance.

I just played the game straight forward. I didn't worry about if it will work. It just did. The only times I have ever stopped a league was when one team won the championship 8 out of the first 10 years and the other time I really experimented with the league financials to an extreme degree.

The no draft might be a problem when guys start retiring but you can auto fill the rosters.
redwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:38 PM   #3
Gixugif
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Okay, playing around some more it seems like I should be able to do something like this relatively easily.

One more question though: It seems it's not possible to have a playoff, or any games at all, between two different leagues? At least, not added automatically to the schedule. Why not? This seems like a pretty big thing to have missing.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:11 PM   #4
GWUlery
Minors (Single A)

With dynamic evolution on:

1900 - started a 10 team major league (GBL)
1907 - manually added a second 6 team major league (SAL)
1909 - manually formed and Association between the GBL and SAL so that their champions played each other in a 5-game series
1911 - GBL expands to 12 teams (evolution)
1916 - manually expanded SAL to 12 teams
1918 - SAL expands to 14 teams (evolution)
1935 - GBL expands to 14 teams (evolution)
1935 - manually merged GBL and SAL (to form SBA)
1941 - SBA expands to 30 teams (evolution)
1945 - manually adding minor leagues

So, I started with a 10 team league, manually added 12 teams, evolved 8 teams, and had three teams relocate.

You can have seperate leagues (top level only, no affiliated minor leagues or feeder leagues) join associations. Associations share some of the same rules and can have a playoff setup between them.

Automatic evolution will get you some growth, but you'll probably need to help it along somewhat.
Old 04-12-2012, 07:10 PM   #5
Gixugif
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Oh, the associations are just what I'm looking for. It seems these are new to 13? Very cool.

I ended up creating most of the leagues/ teams myself throughout 15 or 20 years. Pretty fast progression I guess, but there were some automatic changes anyway.

I did start off with no financials and then added them a little ways in. At first trying to keep things very cheap, but eventually just said screw it and set it to 2011 financials. I just don't have a good enough grasp on them to handle it myself.