Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 19 - General Discussions Everything about the 2018 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 04-17-2018, 02:25 PM   #1
cavebutter
All Star Starter

I made a thing! First usable results from my database

I've been working on a project to roll my own MySQL database from OOTP data. While mostly done for the sake of learning a new thing, I also had some clear goals in mind for how to improve my playing experience.

The most challenging part was getting to understand and then calculate all of the advanced stats. From there, things have been getting easier and now I've moved back into my professional wheelhouse: Excel.

I've always wanted a better way to manage my organizational depth chart. It's easy to get lost in a sea of numbers and lose context. The below screenshot shows all of the relievers in the fictional Baltimore organization. The charts visualize the stats and ratings for the top 5 players. The players can be sorted based on any of the visible stats as well as a number of hidden ratings.

The data in the table updates automatically from a csv that the database outputs. (This is currently a manual export due to weirdness in the server instance - grr!)

Anyhow, this is the Bullpen Depth worksheet. I'm open to any suggestions on how to improve, but mostly just showing off.
Attached Images

Logo Gallery
cavebutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 02:30 PM   #2
stealofhome
Hall Of Famer

Awesome work! The game definitely needs more visualization and friendliness with stats.
stealofhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 02:31 PM   #3
Galeg
Major Leagues

Awesome work!
Galeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 02:32 PM   #4
cavebutter
All Star Starter

This one's the Outfield Depth worksheet. Same concept.

One note about the batting and fielding ratings. I configured the dump to show OSA ratings rather than true ratings. Also, the raw values for ratings (OSA or otherwise) are on a scale of 0-~250. I don't have a feel for how to convert these to my prefered 20-80 scale. If anyone has ideas, I'd love to hear them. For now, I just removed the labels from the axis.

I'm still playing around with the design and formatting of the charts, so they're not all consistent at this point.

OF Depth:
Attached Images

Logo Gallery
Old 04-17-2018, 02:44 PM   #5
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

def share that in mods section.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 03:33 PM   #6
cavebutter
All Star Starter

Again because of a weirdness in my server installation, this one's not connected to a workbook, but...

Have you ever been in this situation?

You're negotiating a trade with Dallas and you're close to a deal but you think that they could throw in a young corner outfielder to sweeten the pot. Rather than scrolling through all of the pulldowns in the lower-right corner of the trade screen, you can Find-a-Batter (tm)!

This nifty stored procedure will let you choose an upper age limit, a position or group of positions, and a PARENT organization and show you all the relevant details. You can name a position directly (2-9) or choose Infield, Outfield, Middle Infield, Corner Infield, Corner Outfield. If you choose none, then it will show you all batters in that age group and that organization.

Don't want to specify an age limit? You don't have to! Want to see all the under-23 third basemen in any organization on the planet? We can do that too! Just NULL the organization and you'll get it!
Attached Images
Image Image 

Logo Gallery
Old 04-17-2018, 03:49 PM   #7
RonCo
Hall Of Famer

Nice work!
RonCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 03:53 PM   #8
cavebutter
All Star Starter

"That's all well and good," you say. "But I'm stacked with outfielders. What I need is a reliever. Any reliever."

We've got you covered with Find-a-Pitcher (tm)! Enter an age (or no age), a role (Starter, Reliever, Closer, All Relievers or all pitchers), and a Parent organization (or no organization at all) - and you'll get a custom list of pitchers. One is sure to fit your needs!
Attached Images
Image Image 

Logo Gallery
Old 04-17-2018, 05:32 PM   #9
Izz
Hall Of Famer

Really cool!

A brief history of the Australia-New Zealand Baseball League (AUNZBL 2019-2119)--A Dynasty Report
The National Penterham Four-Bases Association--A Dynasty Report
Izz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 05:39 PM   #10
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

I have no earthly idea what you're doing here, but I'll echo the "great work!" sentiments. It's fun to create something that helps you enjoy this game even more, isn't it? I've done many different things (nothing as complicated as this though) to tailor the game to do things the way I want them done.
actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 06:00 PM   #11
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionjackson View Post
I have no earthly idea what you're doing here, but I'll echo the "great work!" sentiments. It's fun to create something that helps you enjoy this game even more, isn't it? I've done many different things (nothing as complicated as this though) to tailor the game to do things the way I want them done.
...And I suppose this quote calls for a "Thank you Markus for making this game endlessly customizable so that we can truly play it our way".
actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 06:16 PM   #12
cavebutter
All Star Starter

Agreed!

Logo Gallery
Old 04-17-2018, 06:22 PM   #13
mitchkenn
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavebutter View Post
"That's all well and good," you say. "But I'm stacked with outfielders. What I need is a reliever. Any reliever."

We've got you covered with Find-a-Pitcher (tm)! Enter an age (or no age), a role (Starter, Reliever, Closer, All Relievers or all pitchers), and a Parent organization (or no organization at all) - and you'll get a custom list of pitchers. One is sure to fit your needs!
this would be so very nice if it were built into the game! Great idea and good display of potential.
"I saw a young man leaning on his wooden crutch - He called out to me, 'Don't ask for so much' And a young woman leaning in her darkened door She cried out to me, 'Why not ask for more?' " - Leonard Cohen
"Hello darkness, my old Friend ...." - Paul Simon
Before Mays, before DiMaggio, there was Oscar Charleston.
"All the lies about Babe Ruth are true." - Waite Hoyt

Avatar is the late great Townes Van Zandt. rip.
mitchkenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 06:27 PM   #14
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

I am very impressed with the programming. I have done enough Excel in my day to appreciate the skill at work here. Nice job!
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 08:42 PM   #15
eriqjaffe
Hall Of Famer

This is really good stuff.
Old 04-17-2018, 11:36 PM   #16
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

you can do that in sql too. make a query or report etc.. save for re-use. you wouldn't have to export and use excel.

sql is easy stuff.. at least at this level of use.. syntax may be slightly differnet, but same same logic as what you are using in excel.

edit: lol it is in the dB, nevermind.. leaving the above to look stupid anyway...

what's wrong with mysql intallation? check mysql.ini?

a good all-in-one that comes wokrign out of the box is mariadB and i use a free heidi-sql for a front end. setup differnet users for access to different dB, or at least i like to.. keeps 'tree' view clean.

Last edited by NoOne; 04-17-2018 at 11:44 PM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 01:18 AM   #17
cavebutter
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOne View Post
you can do that in sql too. make a query or report etc.. save for re-use. you wouldn't have to export and use excel.

sql is easy stuff.. at least at this level of use.. syntax may be slightly differnet, but same same logic as what you are using in excel.

edit: lol it is in the dB, nevermind.. leaving the above to look stupid anyway...

what's wrong with mysql intallation? check mysql.ini?

a good all-in-one that comes wokrign out of the box is mariadB and i use a free heidi-sql for a front end. setup differnet users for access to different dB, or at least i like to.. keeps 'tree' view clean.

Yeah, all of the depth chart stuff is in excel using csv output generated by the dB.

The find-a-batter and pitcher are stored procedures accessed directly from the dB.

If you know anything about MySQL server on Mac, I’d love to trouble-shoot it with someone. By default, Mac doesn’t create a my.cnf for MySQL and I need to create one to be able to write to a file from the server. To complicate matters, the server is running, but can’t be restarted or stopped. Something about a missing pid file. Seriously, if you know anything about this, I’d like to pick your brain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Logo Gallery
Old 04-18-2018, 03:36 AM   #18
paul.m.w.
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavebutter View Post
Yeah, all of the depth chart stuff is in excel using csv output generated by the dB.

The find-a-batter and pitcher are stored procedures accessed directly from the dB.

If you know anything about MySQL server on Mac, I’d love to trouble-shoot it with someone. By default, Mac doesn’t create a my.cnf for MySQL and I need to create one to be able to write to a file from the server. To complicate matters, the server is running, but can’t be restarted or stopped. Something about a missing pid file. Seriously, if you know anything about this, I’d like to pick your brain.

Wow
Great stuff

Old 04-18-2018, 03:38 AM   #19
Elektranaut
Major Leagues

This is where OOTP has made little progress over the years considering it is basically a spreadsheet kinda game.
Elektranaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 05:02 AM   #20
Hemi425HP
Minors (Triple A)

Really cool stuff.