Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 17 > OOTP 17 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 17 - General Discussions Everything about the latest Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 08-09-2016, 12:34 PM   #1
SML207
Bat Boy

Updated 2016 (Post Trade deadline)?

Forgive the newbie post, but I am looking for an updated roster past the trade deadline to use for my offline career. Thank you
SML207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 12:41 PM   #2
Andy
Hall Of Famer

It's not official from the OOTP team, but a user made an update.

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...uickstart.html
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 12:54 PM   #3
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

We're working on an official version. No specific time frame for you just yet, but stay tuned!
Lukas Berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 01:21 PM   #4
Benchmark
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukasberger View Post
We're working on an official version. No specific time frame for you just yet, but stay tuned!
Marcus posted last week it would be out this week. You make it sound like it is going to be a while. I wish you guys could get on the same page.

Is this going to have the hundreds of missing players from the draft that you guys were working on?

Don't mean to be a jerk, but people plan things by time tables you give them a getting time tables for rosters is like pulling teeth.
Benchmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 01:36 PM   #5
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benchmark View Post
Marcus posted last week it would be out this week. You make it sound like it is going to be a while. I wish you guys could get on the same page.

Is this going to have the hundreds of missing players from the draft that you guys were working on?

Don't mean to be a jerk, but people plan things by time tables you give them a getting time tables for rosters is like pulling teeth.
Look, we're doing this in our freetime, it's not even an official OOTP project, and for me in particular I'm swamped with my regular work this time of year. I'm barely even on the site in the summer.

No idea what you're thinking Markus posted, but I'd guess he was talking about the patch and the opening day roster update that goes with that, not the semi-official post trade deadline rosters. That had many more missing players from the draft for sure.

Markus isn't particularly involved in the process for the post-deadline rosters and it's not even an official thing really. I don't think we've ever released it before September first in the past, and I can't imagine that being the case this year either.

So I'm guessing Markus either misspoke or you misunderstood what he was saying. Either way, the trade-deadline update is almost certainly not coming this week or likely even this month.

Frankly, you're lucky we're doing this at all. It's not part of the game's marketing, and it's not something that anyone has a right to expect when buying the game.

We've always been ultra-clear, it's something that happens if and when we get to it, and doesn't happen if we don't.

It's nothing but a labor of love from haveband, myself and a couple volunteers.

Hope that clears things up a bit!

Last edited by Lukas Berger; 08-09-2016 at 01:55 PM.
Old 08-09-2016, 03:34 PM   #6
Benchmark
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Here is where the problem lies. You claim to be the official version then when some asks about it you pull the community project card. If you have the official roster database then you are part of OOTP Dev. and it's official. Just because you are not being paid and Markus is making the money on you I'm sorry. We are not in the 20th Century anymore and people expect rosters to include the drafted players the season it happens. With a MLB and MLBPA approval, you would think rosters would be a top priority like all other sports games(70% MLB roster users). Here they are community based rosters claiming to be official. I don't need the fan boys complaining and telling me how much the roster team does. I appreciate them but I am trying to make it better. Markus already heard from me on this subject a week ago how the rosters should be done. If no one ever challenges the status quo then you get the same old *hit. I don't want to play with the drafted players in the off season, I want them during the season and many others would like them too. If Markus tells us this week, then we should expect this week or next week at the latest as a customer. Not September. As I suggested before as to being on the same page. I'm not trying to piss you off and all your hard work, but rosters need to be a paid gig so that time tables can be met. I am looking to improve this game from a MLB user stand point. If 70% of us use these rosters I would think you would improve this issue. OOTP needs to take a step forward in this aspect.
Old 08-09-2016, 03:39 PM   #7
Nwdcdude
Bat Boy

You sound like you're fun at parties.
Nwdcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 03:42 PM   #8
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
I'm not trying to piss you off and all your hard work, but rosters need to be a paid gig so that time tables can be met. I am looking to improve this game from a MLB user stand point. If 70% of us use these rosters I would think you would improve this issue. OOTP needs to take a step forward in this aspect.
Yeah, that would be great for it to be a full-time paid gig. I'd love to do this full-time.

It's not, though. Deal with it. It's not a community project but I should've said "semi-official". It's being made by the official team, but it's not an official OOTP project. When it comes out it will come out as a mod. Get the difference? At any rate, using semantics to parse my exact word choice contributes absolutely nothing of value to the discussion.

You really sound like you have massive entitlement issues.

Again, post-trade deadline rosters are not marketed as part of the game.

You, as a user can have no legitimate expectation of these ever happening as part of your purchase of the game.

They'll happen if they happen, and if we can get around to it, we've always been perfectly clear on that.

I'd love it if we could provide daily roster updates throughout the season. That would be perfect. But it's a small budget company and there are limitations. That's reality.

Frankly we've never even mentioned a time-table at all. Whatever you thought Markus said was assuredly a misunderstanding.

Here's what Matt said about the rosters a week or so ago in reply to one of your posts:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Arnold View Post
By default we will include the rosters as of the start of the season, but we will work towards getting an updated roster set (post-deadline) as well.
and I see absolutely nothing on this from Markus at all, so I can't imagine where you think he promised these this week...

If the rosters were promised on a specific time-table, as part of the game, and in the game's marketing you'd have a legitimate complaint. They weren't promised, in any way shape or form, so you have no grounds for complaint.

Last edited by Lukas Berger; 08-09-2016 at 04:17 PM.
Old 08-09-2016, 03:53 PM   #9
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Ultimately we're going above and beyond to voluntarily provide a value-added service as a gesture of appreciation to the community. That we'll do so doesn't give you the right to complain about how or when or where it happens. In fact, the complaints are counter-productive since I'm wasting my time to respond to them.

Beyond that, frankly if haveband and I were to get too busy or demoralized for whatever reason, then there's a real chance we'll never release the update this year. We only decided that we were going to do so for sure a couple weeks ago and we've never promised that it was a certain thing, only that we were working on it and will release it if we're able to.

As for what happens going forward, who knows. Your idea has a great deal of merit and I'm sure we'd all love to see the rosters get updated regularly throughout the year in the future.

The thing is, you seem to be confusing a great idea for the future with your expectations as to now. It'd be nice if things worked the way you suggest, maybe things will change and that will happen down the road. Maybe it won't either, but it's certainly not the case now, and repeatedly complaining about it isn't going to make it come any faster.

Last edited by Lukas Berger; 08-10-2016 at 12:38 AM.
Old 08-09-2016, 04:17 PM   #10
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

The roster team does an absolutely fantastic job. The fact that they come to us and basically say, "hey, guys, we want to do a semi-official post-deadline roster update. Is that okay?" just shows the dedication and commitment to their tasks.

Apologies about the mis-communication about the roster update. Like any company does on occasion, we mistakenly assumed a different timeline than the roster team was on when Markus mentioned when the update would be available. And while we'd certainly love it if they had finished the update by this week, we know it's not a required update, and it will arrive when they feel it's ready.

We'd love to be able to hire the whole roster team on full-time, and hopefully someday we'll be able to make that happen. If we did, then yeah, we could certainly push to have updates ready sooner. But in our current capacities, the roster team has always provided the required roster updates not simply on-time, but generally speaking well before we're even ready to import them into the game. I've only been here for a few years, but I can't think of one time when we've gone to the roster team with a deadline and they haven't been able to meet it.
Matt Arnold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 04:18 PM   #11
Benchmark
Minors (Single A)

LAST POST!

Markus's Quote:
Sorry, no idea why the roster team released those players. I know I pulled the rosters before they got to work on the post-deadline rosters (which will be released sometime next week).

Here was the quote from Markus. (Update Top Page 4).

I am just trying to improve this game for the future.

The right now was because I expected the Developer knew what was going on and told us about a release this week. That was my expectation. All the marketing and promises mean nothing if he sends out this statement(Supersedes). Last I knew Haveband had finished 34 rounds of the draft in early July and I was expecting that this week. I really don't care about the Trade deadline moves, all I was looking for was the drafted players which are probably done by now.

Can these be released? Doesn't hurt to ask.
Old 08-09-2016, 04:27 PM   #12
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
LAST POST!

Markus's Quote:
Sorry, no idea why the roster team released those players. I know I pulled the rosters before they got to work on the post-deadline rosters (which will be released sometime next week).

The right now was because I expected the Developer knew what was going on and told us about a release this week. That was my expectation. All the marketing and promises mean nothing if he sends out this statement(Supersedes). Last I knew Haveband had finished 34 rounds of the draft in early July and I was expecting that this week. I really don't care about the Trade deadline moves, all I was looking for was the drafted players which are probably done by now.

Ok, thank you for the further explanation. I'm sure that was a slip of the tongue on Markus' part, or maybe there was just a mis-communication somewhere.

To try to improve the game for the future is a noble cause, and your efforts there are appreciated. I apologize if I've been unduly touchy or irritable.

Yes, the drafted players are done now.

That being said, even once the update containing them is released, it's worth noting that they will not 100% all show up in your game, since the draft pool is limited in number, and some of the lower rated guys will be pushed out of the pool by some of the higher rated HS players who went undrafted because of having too high demands or desire for college. So you'll get the vast majority of the drafted guys but maybe not 100%. More like 90% or so, plus a bunch of top HS guys who didn't get drafted. Just want to clarify that so as to avoid further misunderstandings

As to when we can release them, I'll have to check with haveband and see what he thinks. We can hopefully work something out though, in the not too distant future.

Last edited by Lukas Berger; 08-10-2016 at 12:25 AM.
Old 08-09-2016, 04:42 PM   #13
haveband
All Star Reserve

Quote:
LAST POST!

Markus's Quote:

You know what, I rarely respond to these kinds of posts but I cannot hold my tongue any longer.

back in 2014 thousands, literally thousands of draft players were created for 2014 and future drafts. After the 2014 we retired all the undrafted 2014 players we created and realized we wasted our time creating way too many players, same for 2015. Most those guys we retired no longer play ball of any sort, so creating them was purely time wasted. Same thing with 2016, we've created hundreds of guys that not only will never play ball in the majors or minors, but we created nothing more than minor league roster fodder. You apparently do not realize how much time it takes to do all this stuff. And if we're going to release post trade deadline rosters, the draft is a small part of it. It might be the only thing you're interested in, but we were updating the draft, 2016 July 2nd free agents, seberal hundred non-drafted free agents, all trades and ALL SIGNINGS since opening day that includes the minor leagues as well. If we'd just done nothing but the 2016 draft picks just to please you, what about the hundreds of minor league moves that happened, promotions, demotions, releases, etc. What's the point in a post trade deadline set that didn't include everything. Guys are right now using their time off during their summer breaks to work on updating minor league rosters for FREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And you want to complain because all the great picks in rounds 35+ aren't in the game. Since I told Markus we'd do it this year, we'll release the post trade set this year. Next year, doubt it.

Last edited by haveband; 08-09-2016 at 04:48 PM.
haveband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 04:46 PM   #14
haveband
All Star Reserve

All that said.. What should I do with A-Rod and Fielder.. Should they be retired out now?
Old 08-09-2016, 04:48 PM   #15
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by haveband View Post
All that said.. What should I do with A-Rod and Fielder.. Should they be retired out now?
Good question. I'd actually say no, since they played half the year. We should probably hold off on retiring them for now. But I could see going the other way as well.
Old 08-09-2016, 04:58 PM   #16
haveband
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Good question. I'd actually say no, since they played half the year. We should probably hold off on retiring them for now. But I could see going the other way as well.
I imagine those who play the Yanks and Rangers would love those contracts off their books in game
Old 08-09-2016, 05:04 PM   #17
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

I just want everyone to know, I'm a 20th century man, but I don't want to be here.
David Watts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 05:05 PM   #18
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

Quote:
Fielder essentially had a CEI, but will still be on the books for the length of his deal. So I'd suggest either giving him a CEI (at which point in-game he'll simply retire at the end of the season), or make him injured for like 5 years, so that he never plays again.

A-Rod is a tougher question. Probably makes sense to not retire him, but just make him suck. Then whoever plays would likely DFA/release him as they did in real life.
Matt Arnold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 05:15 PM   #19
ohiodevil
OOTP Roster Team

Wonder what that guy would have said when roster sets were unofficial creations made by guys on the forums...and the game came with fictional players....I won't go into any names, but I remember some big blowups surrounding a couple guys on here....fun times....
ohiodevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 05:38 PM   #20
The Yurpman
Major Leagues

Quote:
I suggest leaving. That will improve the game for all of us on these forums.
The Yurpman is offline   Reply With Quote