Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 01-13-2016, 11:11 AM   #1
rjl518
Hall Of Famer

Powerball Jackpot---Which Franchise would you buy?

With the powerball jackpot going higher and higher...which franchise would you make an offer for?

My choices: (1) Miami Dolphins (2) New York Mets (3) Miami Marlins

I think realistically...I think I could get the Marlins from Jeffrey Loria.

How about you guys?

"Colon looking for his 1st hit of the year and he DRIVES ONE! Deep left field! Back goes Upton! Back near the wall! ITS OUTTA HERE!!! Bartolo has done it!!! THE IMPOSSIBLE HAS HAPPENED!!! This is one of the great moments in the history of baseball! Bartolo Colon has gone deep!" ---Gary Cohen. (May 7, 2016) (Petco Park) NYM 6 @ SD 3

Last edited by rjl518; 01-13-2016 at 11:12 AM.
rjl518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 12:26 PM   #2
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Good question to ask, because other than doing something like that, or giving much of it away to charity, what in the heck does somebody DO with a windfall of hundreds of millions of dollars? I mean, you cannot spend all that on fun stuff. The numbers become meaningless.

On another matter, the AG in NY should shut the heck up about DraftKings and FanDuel. Sure, they are gambling outfits. They insult people's intelligence by trying to portray themselves as "games of skill" or whatnot.

But whether you have fools throwing their money away on PowerBall or DraftKings/FanDuel is immaterial to me. Same idea. Let the buyers (gamblers) beware.

And since there is so much money in circulation (while at the same time everybody is complaining about having not enough to live on), I appreciate these folks paying a ton of much needed tax revenue. Thanks!

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 01:25 PM   #3
canadiancreed
Hall Of Famer

In the snowball chance in hell that I won it, I'd probably buy MLSE (owns the Leafs, Raptors, Toronto FC, and the Argos), the Sens and the Habs. Maybe buy up Prince Edward Island with the remaining change.

PT22

canadiancreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 01:41 PM   #4
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiancreed View Post
In the snowball chance in hell that I won it, I'd probably buy MLSE (owns the Leafs, Raptors, Toronto FC, and the Argos), the Sens and the Habs. Maybe buy up Prince Edward Island with the remaining change.
Maybe if you would allow me to follow you around, I could make a good living off of the odd dollars and coins that fall out of your pockets!

- Bru

Old 01-13-2016, 02:44 PM   #5
BaseballMan
Hall Of Famer

After taxes you will be lucky to afford a minor league team.
BaseballMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 04:34 PM   #6
swampdragon
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballMan View Post
That's right. Do the math. You start out with 930 million in cash, and the feds and state combined will get around half of that, more if you live in one of the really high tax states. So you have a paltry 465 million, which isn't nearly as much fun as 1.5 billion, and would probably allow you to buy only a soccer or hockey franchise, as long as it was an obscure one.
“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies." -- C.S. Lewis
swampdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 05:08 PM   #7
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampdragon View Post
That's right. Do the math. You start out with 930 million in cash, and the feds and state combined will get around half of that, more if you live in one of the really high tax states. So you have a paltry 465 million, which isn't nearly as much fun as 1.5 billion, and would probably allow you to buy only a soccer or hockey franchise, as long as it was an obscure one.
So, Maple Leafs?

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.
Westheim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 06:58 PM   #8
ThatSeventiesGuy
Hall Of Famer

I might have enough left after the taxman cometh to save the ECHL team in Evansville.
ThatSeventiesGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 07:09 PM   #9
MorseMoose
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 1/1 (1)
If you don't take taxes into account...
Attached Images
MorseMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 08:27 PM   #10
Thunder
Hall Of Famer

I'd buy a minor-league baseball team, maybe what $1-2 mil?

I'll have $2 tickets and every night is $1 beer night. Gates open four hours before game time. Will hire very little security.

I'll have the most obnoxious fans around and other teams will hate playing there. I imagine there would be drunken brawls in the stands most nights. I'll set it up as whatever kind of business I have to in order to limit personal liability.

Where I live, the state tax is moderate and the lump sum after taxes will be about $500M. Even at 3% for 30 year treasuries, that's $40,500 in interest income daily (pre-tax). Think about that for a minute.

Trash the park? Piss in the stands? Barf on the urinals? Who cares. I'll pay a clean-up/repair crew $10K a night and have it spotless for the next game and we'll do it again tomorrow.

Thank you for coming and drive safe
Old 01-13-2016, 08:56 PM   #11
canadiancreed
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Déjà Bru View Post
Maybe if you would allow me to follow you around, I could make a good living off of the odd dollars and coins that fall out of your pockets!
Sorry that's not a supported profession to immigrate to Canada.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballMan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by swampdragon View Post
If you can't afford an accounting firm to have you not pay over a billion in taxes, you deserve to pay those taxes. Buy the ticket in a state like DE, and if you win, throw a few million at a reputable accounting firm, use every loophole and writeoff you can to negate as much tax as you can (like say, investing in a business, or a few at once, and go from there. You're not going to write off the whole thing, but you're not going to be dropping roughly 70% to the government either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westheim View Post
So, Maple Leafs?
Of the IBL maybe.

PT22

canadiancreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 10:14 PM   #12
BaseballMan
Hall Of Famer

The IRS will get the money one way or another. On the other hand I might get enough to buy the raiders a stadium.
I think a safer choice would be to invest the money and try buying a team later. Even if you survive the taxes you still have to pay the players and other employees. I just think rushing out and buying an expensive business right away is a bad idea.
BaseballMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 06:55 AM   #13
grevan
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder View Post

I'll have $2 tickets and every night is $1 beer night. Gates open four hours before game time. Will hire very little security.

I'll have the most obnoxious fans around and other teams will hate playing there. I imagine there would be drunken brawls in the stands most nights. I'll set it up as whatever kind of business I have to in order to limit personal liability.

Where I live, the state tax is moderate and the lump sum after taxes will be about $500M. Even at 3% for 30 year treasuries, that's $40,500 in interest income daily (pre-tax). Think about that for a minute.

Trash the park? Piss in the stands? Barf on the urinals? Who cares. I'll pay a clean-up/repair crew $10K a night and have it spotless for the next game and we'll do it again tomorrow.

Love it. Sign me up for a season ticket!

Might I suggest a professional kick boxer dressed as a ninja to take out particularly unruly fans, just for some added excitement in the stands.

Last edited by grevan; 01-15-2016 at 06:58 AM.
grevan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 08:59 AM   #14
Thunder
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by grevan View Post
Love it. Sign me up for a season ticket!

Might I suggest a professional kick boxer dressed as a ninja to take out particularly unruly fans, just for some added excitement in the stands.
I didn't win, but if I do, ninja security is a MUST!

It can't be totally lawless. The last thing a billionaire needs is the stress of being crapped on in the local media every day by politicians and civic groups. I might even add a family zone, a 500-seat, no alcohol section with its own entrance to satisfy those people.

Another thing, concerts after every Saturday home game. Big-time artists announced, but every Saturday, Rick Astley shows up and just plays one song.

I'd plan on dropping a few weeks of interest income a year as a tax write-off to basically throw crazy parties surrounded by a baseball game.
Old 01-15-2016, 04:09 PM   #15
psd
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder View Post

Of course I assume you will have topless waitresses bringing beer to the patrons in their seats?

Small urinals attached to the back of the seats so people can drink beer and not even have to get up and go to the can, or even a trough running the full length of the row. Patrons can break the seal whenever they want and wont have to run to the potty every half-inning. Will save you some coin on the clean up too. Just hose everything down and good to go again.

And of course, stripper cheerleaders on the tops of both dugouts. That's a given.
psd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 09:04 PM   #16
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Great stuff. You've got to see this.

How tiny are your chances at winning the Powerball jackpot? This tiny.

Make sure your mouse has a fresh battery.

- Bru

Old 01-15-2016, 09:14 PM   #17
Thunder
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by psd View Post
Of course I assume you will have topless waitresses bringing beer to the patrons in their seats?

Small urinals attached to the back of the seats so people can drink beer and not even have to get up and go to the can, or even a trough running the full length of the row. Patrons can break the seal whenever they want and wont have to run to the potty every half-inning. Will save you some coin on the clean up too. Just hose everything down and good to go again.

And of course, stripper cheerleaders on the tops of both dugouts. That's a given.
Great ideas . . . not sure any of it would fly in practice, but makes for good visuals. We might have to settle for Hooters nights for Thursdays. Ten cent wings and a "get lucky" raffle for breasts
Old 01-16-2016, 05:27 PM   #18
TheMaus2
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjl518 View Post
With the powerball jackpot going higher and higher...which franchise would you make an offer for?

My choices: (1) Miami Dolphins (2) New York Mets (3) Miami Marlins

I think realistically...I think I could get the Marlins from Jeffrey Loria.

How about you guys?
You needed to win the jackpot by yourself and, you'd have to not take the lump sum, minus tax . On top of that, you'd need to have at least one billion to buy the franchise.

But, dola, I would not take a team in the U.S, I'd be taking a soccer/football team from England. If I did take a team here, I'd take either the Rays or the Thunder.

I also listen to music no one's ever heard of in hopes of looking cool and alternative.
TheMaus2 is offline   Reply With Quote