Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: New to the game?
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Earlier versions of OOTP: New to the game? A place for all new Out of the Park Baseball fans to ask questions about the game.

Old 09-28-2012, 06:42 PM   #1
Gixugif
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Do Windows licenses not work with the Linux version?

I guess I'll buy the game this weekend, with the sale and all, but just wondering one thing. I dual-boot Ubuntu and Windows 7. I notice on the site Windows/ Mac is listed separately from Linux. Does this mean that if I buy one, I wouldn't be able to put one license on Ubuntu and the other on Windows?

I love that it has a Linux version at all, but that'd be pretty ridiculous.
Gixugif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 01:53 PM   #2
flaquis010285
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixugif View Post
I guess I'll buy the game this weekend, with the sale and all, but just wondering one thing. I dual-boot Ubuntu and Windows 7. I notice on the site Windows/ Mac is listed separately from Linux. Does this mean that if I buy one, I wouldn't be able to put one license on Ubuntu and the other on Windows?

I love that it has a Linux version at all, but that'd be pretty ridiculous.
It seems the answer is: FAKE.
flaquis010285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 04:36 PM   #3
Gixugif
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaquis010285 View Post
It seems the answer is: FAKE.
huh?
Old 09-29-2012, 05:45 PM   #4
buffalo_pete
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixugif View Post
huh?
I don't know what that guy's on about.

I had the same question when I bought the game, so I emailed support. I was told that the license keys for Windows and Mac are interchangeable, but not Linux. Don't ask me why.

My primary OS is Arch Linux, so I bought the Linux version. I am pleased to say I have had zero problems with it, and honestly have been completely thrilled. Absolutely no complaints.

I haven't felt the need to try the other license key on my Windows install, because frankly I'd rather play in Linux, so I couldn't say whether or not the advice I related above is accurate, it's just what I was told. I hope this helps; if anyone else has countervailing stories, please share, I'd be interested too.
buffalo_pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:22 PM   #5
Gixugif
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Thanks, that's definitely disappointing to hear. I already bought the Windows version, and would have either way. I downloaded the Linux version too to see, but I can't confirm what you were told either since it won't actually run. No error message or nothing, I just click the icon in the menu and nothing happens.
Old 10-06-2012, 11:56 AM   #6
buffalo_pete
Minors (Single A)

Here's how I installed it.

Download the installer, which is called ootp13linuxinstall.tar.gz. Put it in ~/tmp or wherever you want. Extract the files inside the tarball; there's a folder called data and a script called "OOTP 13 Installer". Make sure the permissions are such that you've got execute privileges on the installer file, and run from the shell:

"./OOTP 13 Installer"

That's dot slash OOTP 13 Installer, all in quotations. The installer should launch; when you come to the part where it asks you where you want to install it, install it to somewhere else in your home folder, like ~/opt or something, rather than the default location, which I believe is /opt. (This way you don't have to be root to install the game.)

That should do it. Hit me back if you have problems or if this doesn't make sense; I changed my forum options so now I'll get an email on replies.
buffalo_pete is offline   Reply With Quote