Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 07-30-2019, 09:16 PM   #41
damientheomen3
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkn20 View Post
Do you book who wins in that game as you do in TEW?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Nope, the fights play out organically.
damientheomen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 10:11 AM   #42
Pallas
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Thanks to this thread, I bought Tennis Elbow Manager 2 and have been devouring it all week. It's a great game.

Still on the lookout for a good boxing sim, if anyone knows of one.
Pallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 11:57 AM   #43
Syd Thrift
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, there's really not one. Title Bout has/had the chance to be that, maybe, but the last version that came out is *really* buggy and the "latest" version has been vaporware for 5+ years now. At that it's more of a board game than a management sim, although way back in the day I at least worked on a product that would have started to push it into the management arena.

I'd love to work on a boxing simulator myself as a side project but, um, I'm a bit on the busy side with decidedly non-sports-managementery hobbies...
The Great American Baseball Thrift Book - Like reading the Sporting News from back in the day, only with fake players. REAL LIFE DRAMA THOUGH maybe not
Syd Thrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 10:57 PM   #44
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pallas View Post

Still on the lookout for a good boxing sim, if anyone knows of one.
Title Bout Boxing by this very company is good but limited. The boxing engine itself is fantastic and simulates fights well.
Unfortunately it has noticing outside of that. There is no universe, no promoter mode, money and popularity mean nothing. All the fights take place in a vacuum. It is possible to create a universe but your brain has to fill in a lot of the blanks.
Very little is automated and you have to put in hundreds of hours of work to get even a year done.

Imagine having the OOTP baseball engine or Football Manager football engine but having to do everything thing else yourself on Excel.
Playing out every single match/game
Rolling the dice for injuries. Aging the players manually, keeping up with the standings yourself
Etc

It gets tiring very quickly and grinds you down
rudel.dietrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 12:00 PM   #45
Zedwardson
Minors (Triple A)

Sadly there is not a good cricket game, and I wish motersports manager had a better endurance car setup.

I end up playing a lot of OOTP and FM, at OOTP baseball at least has made me learn to appreciate baseball much more then I have in the past.

I actually programmed my own Horse Racing and boxing simulators, but they required a lot of work to run.
Old 08-04-2019, 10:48 AM   #46
OldFatGuy
All Star Starter

Boxing Sim

For those looking for a boxing sim... well good luck... I too have been wanting one and about the best I can still do is the old board game Title Bout Boxing.

However, I did find a game on Steam that has provided me with lots of hours of fun. Now make no mistake, it's a bare bones program (I actually wondered if it was programmed in basic lol). It's text based and the actual boxing engine does seem adequate, if not even better.

You are a boxing manager (not a boxer) and start off with X amount of dollars and you have to sign and train boxers to get them better. You also have to upgrade your facilities to help make this happen easier. You schedule the bouts, the opponents, and get the necessary TV contracts (this is crucial... lol at first I kept losing money and wondering why because I thought the TV stuff was handled automatically).

The fighters are rated in IIRC 20 categories (5 types of punches, 5 areas of physical skill, 5 areas of mental skill, and 5 areas of, well, whatever they didn't fit in the others I guess lol. Anyway, it works well. You train them both by selecting their daily training regiment and by sparring (which I understand becomes a real big PITA in late game but I've never got there). You have to schedule and execute each sparring session individually and a fighter can spar once every 3 days, so you can see how time consuming it may get if you get to a stable of say 20 fighters.

But sparring is very important. It is the only way to get "special" traits that allow their ratings to above 20. All 20 of the ratings are capped at 20. But, there are also 20 traits for all 20 ratings, and if your fighter gets one (or more) those skills can then be raised to 25. And it can be a big difference maker.

Anyway, you just schedule each days training regiment, improve facilities, train your boxers, pretty much like most other management sims and as I said, I really like it so far. It's fun.

Oh crap, lol, forgot to mention the name of the game. It's World Boxing Manager:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/5...oxing_Manager/

And they do mean world. There are boxing federations from all over the world in this game (not real ones) and lots and lots and lots of fighters.

Last edited by OldFatGuy; 08-04-2019 at 11:05 AM.
OldFatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 06:15 PM   #47
Big Six
Hall Of Famer

I know I'm resurrecting a thread that hasn't been alive for a month, but I haven't had many chances to stop by the boards for a while.

I've only played two of the games on this list: OOTP and Football Manager. I discovered FM in 2013 and, honestly, it overtook OOTP as the game I played most often.

The last few versions of FM have been increasingly detailed and, while that is certainly an improvement to many of its fans, at this stage of my life--a career, a family with growing kids--I simply don't have the time to devote to it. I find myself playing FM15 instead of FM19, which I bought last fall.

I'm about to take the plunge and buy OOTP20. I'm feeling the urge to get back into OOTP again, perhaps to create a baseball world of my own rather than simulate the "real" world of MLB. The ability to do that makes OOTP a rare pleasure.

The Base Ball Life of Patrick O'Farrell: 2014 inductee, OOTP Dynasty Hall of Fame

Kenilworth: A Town and its Team: fun with a fictional league
Big Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 02:44 AM   #48
majesty95
All Star Starter

This was written by a brit. They arent exactly baseball purists
majesty95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 12:22 PM   #49
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

ootp is coded by a german, so what's that mean? :P

it's secretly a soccer sim, and we don't know it.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 07:18 PM   #50
majesty95
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOne View Post
ootp is coded by a german, so what's that mean? :P

it's secretly a soccer sim, and we don't know it.
That's a fantastic point.

But we also know Markus is a different breed haha
majesty95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 12:34 PM   #51
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

so, he's one of the "good ones?"

LoL!!@$ this is sitting on a tee for me! sorry, i like to make fun of ignornace.. and i'm sure you are joking too... not a serious debate about xenophobia or anything. the more you laugh at ignorance, the more it shrivels and shrinks in fear.

a nationality doesn't preclude you from understanding anything at all -- it may correlate to knowing something well, but is not causal in any way.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote