Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Dynasty Reports

OOTP Dynasty Reports Tell us about the OOTP dynasties you have built!

Old 02-27-2018, 02:18 PM   #1
gskweres9
Major Leagues

Continental League of Professional Baseball Clubs (1961-)

NOTE: This is a reboot from my original Continental League of Professional Baseball Clubs. My laptop crashed towards the end of the first season and I lost my progress,
so I am starting it over in a new thread. You can read the original thread in the link above. The first few posts here will just be copying and pasting from the old thread, and in the next day or two I will begin doing the gameplay over again.

Turmoil. One word described the state of franchises in Major League Baseball in 1958. The Dodgers left Brooklyn. The Giants left New York. The Browns left St. Louis. There's a lot more teams that moved that I haven't even mentioned.

New York Mayor Robert Wagner was hell-bent on bringing another baseball team back to New York. His city just didn't feel right with only one team in it. The mayor was a busy man, and he couldn't bring baseball to New York by himself, so he tabbed Brooklyn attorney William Shea to lead the charge.

Shea originally went directly to baseball with a simple plea -- expansion. However, baseball refused to expand. The National and American Leagues each had 8 teams since 1900, and nobody saw a reason to change the construction of the league.

This left Shea with only one option...Create a league of his own.

Insert the Continental League of Professional Baseball Clubs.

“This country has grown too big for the entire framework of the major leagues to consist of 16 franchises, just as it did 58 years ago,” Shea said.

Shea needed help to make this vision come to life, and let me tell you, William Shea couldn't have picked a better person.

Branch Rickey

Think about all of the things Rickey had done for baseball: He pioneered the farm system, he invented baseball academies, he helped break the color barrier.

Rickey jumped all over the opportunity. He had been forced into retirement after being fired as general manager of the Pittsburgh Pirates just a few years prior, and he wasn't exactly enjoying it. The way he saw it, his footprint was all over baseball, and now he could form a league completely in his own image.

So in 1958, Branch Rickey became the President of the Continental League.

Rickey and Shea got to work on finding financial backing for their league.

The two wanted franchises in baseball starved cities around the country, and maybe even out of the country. Eventually they tabbed Robert Howsam to own a team in Denver, oil magnate Craig F. Cullinan Jr. to own a team in Houston, Wheelock Whitney Jr. to own a team in Minneapolis-St. Paul, Joan Whitney Payson to own a team in New York, and Jack Kent Cooke to own a team across the border in Toronto.

The owners each pledged to pay the league $50,000, and they all committed to a capital investment of $2.5M, excluding stadium costs. Each team would be required to construct a stadium with a capacity of at least 35,000.

Rickey knew that the league would need something to set it apart from the already established teams in America, and he wanted to hit them where it hurt. Rickey always believed parity was a good thing, so in order to keep the teams competitive, he instituted revenue sharing. It always ticked him off watching the damn Yankees win every single year, his league would be different. The owners would all split the money they made off of television between the teams. Rickey believed this league could be special.

The five owners joined Shea and Rickey at the Biltmore Hotel as they revealed the league to the media.

The media loved it. These were powerful businessmen, and Rickey was a powerful baseball mind. The league became front page news immediately.

“What impresses me is the dream of baseball hasn’t perished in this country,” Jimmy Cannon wrote in The New York Journal-American. “We still want it in our cities and important people are willing to risk fortunes to buy it for their hometowns.”

Questions remained, who would play for these teams? Will it only be five teams? How long until the league is a true competitor to MLB?

***NOTE: ALL OF THE ABOVE INFORMATION IS FACTUAL, INCLUDING QUOTES. I HAVE FOUND THEM IN ARTICLES AND IN RESEARCH ABOUT THE CONTINENTAL LEAGUE OF PROFESSIONAL BASEBALL CLUBS. IN REAL LIFE, MLB FINALLY GAVE IN AND EXPANDED, ADDING THE METS IN 1962. WITH BASEBALL BACK IN NEW YORK, SHEA FOLDED THE CONTINENTAL LEAGUE BEFORE IT EVER BEGAN PLAY. IN THIS OOTP UNIVERSE, THE MLB WILL CONTINUE TO BE STUBBORN, AND WE WILL SEE IF SHEA'S DREAM COULD HAVE PANNED OUT.
gskweres9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 02:18 PM   #2
gskweres9
Major Leagues

Rickey and Shea began scrambling after the media reveal. This thing had some real legs. It was front page news every single day, and it had real expectations.

With that, they granted teams in three more cities: Dallas-Ft. Worth, Atlanta, and Buffalo. This brought the Continental League to a total of 8 teams. 7 of the 8 cities didn't have professional baseball at the time. The only one that did was New York, who as recently as five years prior held 3 teams.

While Shea handled business, Rickey handled baseball. Who would play for the teams? Rickey thought each team needed at least one big name. The owners would have to use their money to purchase aging superstars, while the rosters would fill out with prospects and players from latin america. He figured he would have no problems convincing prospects to come to his league. They would make way more money in the Continental League than they would in the minor leagues. With this blueprint, the Continental League could have just as much talent as the American and National Leagues in four or five years.

***NOTE: ANYTHING POSTED AFTER THIS IS ENTIRELY FICTIONAL AND IS OF MY OWN IMAGINATION.***

Before we meet the players that fill the teams, it would be better to reveal the franchises.
Old 02-27-2018, 02:20 PM   #3
gskweres9
Major Leagues

The Continental League of Professional Baseball Clubs revealed the names and brands of their 8 teams today. The league begins play on April 2nd, 1961. They also revealed more information about the schedule.

The Continental League consists of 8 teams split into two 4 team divisions. The teams will play an 84 game schedule, with the winner of each division squaring off in the best-of-seven Continental Series.

Western Division

Dallas Texans
Denver Doves
Houston Colt .45s
Minneapolis Millers

Name:  DallasTexans3_zpsb1ed0edd.png
Views: 1545
Size:  62.4 KBName:  Denver Doves.png
Views: 1557
Size:  39.5 KBName:  Houston Colt .45s.png
Views: 1329
Size:  53.2 KBName:  Minneapolis Millers.png
Views: 1518
Size:  73.9 KB
Old 02-27-2018, 02:22 PM   #4
gskweres9
Major Leagues

Eastern Division

Atlanta Pilots
Buffalo Lakers
New York Mets
Toronto Maple Leafs

Name:  toronto_maple_leafs.png
Views: 2118
Size:  28.4 KBName:  New York Mets.png
Views: 1888
Size:  118.2 KBName:  erie_lakers.png
Views: 2176
Size:  45.4 KBName:  atlanta_pilots.png
Views: 1439
Size:  62.4 KB
Old 02-27-2018, 02:24 PM   #5
gskweres9
Major Leagues

"Hello? Jackie?"

Branch Rickey began his hail Mary.

"Mr. Rickey?" a familiar voice responded. "What are you calling me for, sir?"

"Jackie...I'm the president of a new baseball league."

Before Branch could continue, Jackie interrupted him.

"I heard about that. It's been all over the news," Jackie responded.

Branch Rickey and Jackie Robinson always kept tabs on each other. After all, the two men had immortalized themselves in the game of baseball. Rickey, the first man willing to take a shot on an African American ballplayer, and Robinson the first black player to play in MLB.

"Well, Jackie...we need players."

Jackie interrupted him again.

"Mr. Rickey...you're not about to ask me to come play baseball, are you?"

Branch Rickey's silence was about the loudest thing he could've said.

"Mr. Rickey, I retired almost 5 years ago."

"I know Jackie, but this league needs players. We need players that will put butts in seats and we need players that are good. You can do both of those."

"I don't know about being all that good. Like I said, I haven't played in 5 years," Jackie replied.

"Listen Jack, I've been in contact with the owner of the New York Mets. They are one of the teams in our league. They're willing to pay $100,000 for you to come play. It's just for one season Jackie, then you can go back into retirement."

Jackie fell silent.

"Look at it this way Jack, you'll be the first person to break the color barrier in two leagues. If people didn't know you then, they certainly will now," Rickey quipped.

Jackie chuckled on the other end. "I don't know if I want to go through all that again," Jackie joked back.

"Jackie...we really need you," Rickey said as he let out a sigh.

"Ok Mr. Rickey. One season. That's all I'm giving you."

"One season Jack, that's all I need."

"Ok Mr. Rickey. You've got a deal."

Just like that, Branch Rickey had his first superstar. Lord knows if Jackie still had any ability. He hadn't played in 5 years, is on the wrong side of 40, and has had complications with diabetes, but he needed to start somewhere, and he didn't know anyone better than the man he hitched his career to about 15 years earlier.

Name:  Screen Shot 2018-02-27 at 1.23.57 PM.png
Views: 1375
Size:  166.6 KB
Old 02-27-2018, 02:26 PM   #6
gskweres9
Major Leagues

"Ted Williams speaking."

"Hello Ted, this is Branch Rickey calling."

"Branch? What are you calling me for?" Williams replied.

"I'm the President of the Continental League for Professional Baseball Clubs, and I'm calling to see if you would have interest in playing in my league for one of my teams," Rickey replied.

"Branch...I retired less than a couple months ago."

It was true. The 41 year-old had retired just months earlier at the end of the 1960 season, and it was a respectable season at that. He hit .284 with 34 HR and 86 RBIs in only 115 games played. Branch Rickey knew he had more in the tank.

"I know that Ted, but you played well last year, and I know you have more in the tank. I'm pretty sure you know that you have more in the tank too. Why did you call it quits?"

"It was just time," Williams replied.

"Ted, I know you want to win, and you will have a chance to do that in my league."

Branch Rickey hit the nail right on the head. The Red Sox had finished 77-77, 16GB of the AL Pennant. Boston most recently won the pennant in 1946, and hadn't won a title since 1918.

"It isn't just that, Branch. I'm 41 years-old," Williams said timidly.

"C'mon Ted. You know it hurts that you haven't won a title of any sort. You can fill that void in the Continental League. Players will be dying to come play with you, and you won't be playing for a team that's cursed. Your team will have just as much of a chance of winning as any team. There's no Yankees in this league."

"What does winning a title in your league even mean? It's new. It means nothing."

"It means you will be the beginning of history. This league will be successful, and you will be a part of it's folklore," Ricky replied.

Ted then asked, "Ok...so what are my options?"

"Our team in Buffalo is interested in bringing you in. They'd absolutely love to have you."

Ted pondered the question for a little while. He then asked, "what does the money look like?"

"They're willing to pay you $200,000," Rickey said flatly.

That number really got Ted's attention.

"$200,000? The highest paid player in the MLB makes $190,000," Ted said.

"Well...I didn't stutter did I?"

"No sir...you didn't."

"So Ted, how does one more year of baseball sound."

"I'm in."

Just like that, Branch Rickey completed his second Hail Mary. Getting Jackie Robinson to come play was one thing, but getting Ted Williams to come play was another. Williams played at an all-star caliber level just the year prior, and he would bring not just star power, but talent.

Name:  Screen Shot 2018-02-27 at 1.25.26 PM.png
Views: 1455
Size:  171.6 KB
Old 02-27-2018, 02:30 PM   #7
gskweres9
Major Leagues

Continental League Begins Play

The Continental League of Professional Baseball Clubs begins play on April 2nd, 1961. The Buffalo Lakers will be visiting the Minneapolis Millers. Here are the starting lineups

Buffalo Lakers

1) LF Ted Williams
2) 2B Billy Goodman
3) 3B Luis Marquez
4) RF Bill Wilson
5) C Roger McCardell
6) CF Tom Saffell
7) SS Artie Wilson
8) 1B Raymond Estes
9) P Leverette Spencer

Minneapolis Millers

1) SS Maury Wills
2) LF Thomas Adams
3) RF Gene Woodling
4) 1B Melvin Geho
5) C Cal Neeman
6) 2B Paul Gammel
7) 3B Roy Hartsfield
8) CF Clark Rex
9) P Richard Bolli

GAME RECAP

Ted Williams stepped to the plate as the first ever hitter in Continental League history, receiving a raucous ovation from the crowd, even in a visiting ballpark. His AB was anti-climactic, as he walked on five pitches. Millers starter Richard Bolli then walked Billy Goodman before giving up hits to Luis Marquez and Bill Wilson as the Lakers opened up the scoring in the top of the 1st. The Lakers finished the inning with a 3-0 lead.

Former Dodger Maury Wills led off with a single for the Millers, the first hit in franchise history. He then stole second base, good for the first steal in both franchise and league history. On a steal attempt of third base, Lakers catcher Roger McCardell sailed his throw into left field, allowing Mills to score. That would be all the scoring for the Millers in the bottom half as the Lakers led 3-1.

Mills made his presence felt again in the 2nd, singling home a run to make it 3-2. The Lakers scored again in the 3rd after Tom Saffell drive in Bill Wilson on a RBI ground out to second base. Wilson reached base on a double to left field.

Paul Gammel closed the gap in the bottom of the third on a 2-out double to drive in Melvin Geho. The Millers tied the game in the fifth after Cal Neeman drove in Woodling on a RBI fielders choice. Woodling reached base on a double in the left-center gap, before Geho moved him over and reached base on an infield single.

After the leadoff hitter reached base for the Lakers in the top of the 7th, the Millers brought in lefty reliever John Hanes. Hanes allowed two runs to score on a bases loaded double by the catcher McCardell, as the Lakers took a 6-4 lead. That closed the book on Bolli, who went 6 1/3, giving up 4 hits and 5 runs while walking 5 and striking out 4.

The Millers took an 8-6 lead in the bottom of the 7th behind 3 hits and a walk, all off the starter Spencer. After a wild pitch allowed the 8th run to score, Buffalo went to the bullpen. Spencer went 6 1/3, allowing 8 runs on 10 hits while walking 5 and striking out 4.

The Lakers did add one more run in the top of the 9th on a homer by Wilson, but Hanes struck out Saffrell to end the game and earn the save. Wills earned Player of the Game, going 3-for-5 with 3 steals.

Name:  erie_lakers.png
Views: 2369
Size:  45.4 KBName:  Minneapolis Millers.png
Views: 1455

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That ends the copying and pasting from the original thread. The rest will be new content.
Old 03-02-2018, 05:29 PM   #8
gskweres9
Major Leagues

Name:  The Denver Post.png
Views: 1891
Size:  11.9 KB
April 18th, 1961

Doves Sign Thomas

The Continental League of Professional Baseball Clubs has added another former Major League superstar, as Frank Thomas has signed a one-year deal with the Denver Doves.

Thomas is a former three time All-Star, appearing in the Midsummer Classic in 1954, 1955, and 1958 as a representative of the Pittsburgh Pirates.

Thomas most recently played for the Chicago Cubs, where he struggled a little bit, hitting just .243. His 22 home runs shows that his power is still as present as ever. Thomas is hoping that the Continental League is just what he needs.

"I'm thankful that I'm getting to continue to play baseball. This seems like it's going to be a fun league, and I want to help bring a title to Denver," Thomas said.

Thomas will reportedly make $89,000. He will debut on Tuesday when the 6-6 Doves square off against the division leading Minneapolis Millers.

Name:  frankj_thomas_1961_.png
Views: 1311
Size:  118.5 KB
Old 03-02-2018, 07:09 PM   #9
gskweres9
Major Leagues

The first month of play has come to a close in the Continental League of Professional Baseball Clubs, and it's been an encouraging start for the new league. All of the teams have reported major financial success, and the league has been a hit for fans. Both the Toronto Maple Leafs and Minneapolis Millers have attendance numbers well north of 300,000 over the first month.

While that is a look at what is happening off the field, let's take a look at what is happening on the field. First, we visit the Western Division.

The Minneapolis Millers lead the Western Division with a 15-9 record. Gene Woodling paces the lineup. The former Baltimore Oriole is hitting .414 with 7 home runs and 21 RBI's. His .414 average has him in first in the league, while his 7 homers has him tied for 5th. The Millers have also gotten solid contributions from shortstop Maury Wills (.361, 10 SB) and outfielder Gus Bell (.455, 3 HR). Bell, a signee in mid-April, hasn't yet accumulated enough AB's to qualify for the batting race.

Three games behind the Millers are the 12-12 Dallas Texans. The Texans are led by 19-year old starting pitcher Mel Stottlemyre, and 37-year old second baseman Bobby Avila. Stottlemyre is 3-2 with a 2.52 ERA. Avila is hitting .338 with 5 home runs in the middle of the Texans order. The Texans have also gotten solid offensive contributions from Carlos Bernier (.311, 11 SB), Dave Bristol (.302, 9 SB), Bobby Morgan (.358), and Earl Torgeson (.284, 5 HR). It remains to be seen if the pitching staff can step up around Stottlemyre. If so, the Texans could be a real threat to the Millers in the division.

Behind the Millers are the Denver Doves. The Doves have gotten some solid starting pitching, particularly from Edward Dick, Edward LeClair, and Art Thompson, but an extremely poor lineup seems like it will keep this team on the outside looking in. However, at 11-13 and only 4 GB of the division leader that could certainly change.

Bringing up the rear in the Western Division are the 9-15 Houston Colt .45s. Outfielder Jim King has been the lone bright spot in an otherwise pitch black month of April for the .45s. He's hit .297 with 8 homers while driving in 22 runs in the middle of Houston's order.

It's a tight race early on over in the Eastern Division, as the Toronto Maple Leafs and New York Mets are tied atop the division at 16-8. The Mets look like they might be a pretender, as they are 6th in runs scored and 5th in runs allowed in the 8 team league. They're led by outfielder Tony Oliva. Oliva is hitting .375 with 7 home runs after April. The Maple Leafs look like a much more legit contender, as they lead the entire league in runs scored and are third in runs allowed. The potent lineup is led by Leon Wagner (.312, 11 HR) and Don Taussig (.347, 10 HR). In a bit of bad news for the club, they will have to cope with the loss of Tommy John. John needs surgery to remove bone chips in his elbow and will miss the remainder of the season. He was 3-1 with a 2.78 ERA.

In third place and 7 GB are the Atlanta Pilots (9-15), while the 8-16 Buffalo Lakers round out the division. The Lakers have gotten unreal contributions from Ted Williams, who is hitting .337 with 14 homers after a month of play

Last edited by gskweres9; 03-02-2018 at 07:11 PM.
Old 03-08-2018, 11:37 PM   #10
gskweres9
Major Leagues

End of May Update

May of 1961 has come and gone, and the Continental League of Professional Baseball Clubs is off to an exciting start.

The Western Division will seemingly be a tight race throughout, as the Dallas Texans and Minneapolis Millers are tied atop the division at 26-22. The Texans have gotten a big boost from a potent lineup, but nobody has been more potent than catcher Bobby Morgan. Morgan hit .303 with 11 homers in May, giving him 14 round-trippers on the year. Those 14 homers are good for 5th place in the entire league. Second baseman Bobby Avila has also been very solid for the Texans, as he hit .430 in the month of May. His .384 batting average on the season has him in the lead for the batting title. It remains to be seen if their mediocre pitching staff will be enough to bring them a division title. The Millers are buoyed more by their pitching staff than their lineup, but neither has been all that spectacular. Lefties Gary Lewis and Vernon Noggle have led the pitching staff, going 6-2 and 7-2 respectively. Lewis has an ERA of 1.82 while Noggle has an ERA of 3.00. Shortstop Maury Wills' 20 steals are good for 2nd in the CL.

Just 1/2 GB of the Texans and Millers are the 25-22 Denver Doves. The Doves have gotten excellent production from the top of the order, specifically right fielder Richard Bazinet. Bazinet is hitting .322 with 16 HR's. His 16 homers has him at third place in the league.

A full 7 games back of the division lead are the 19-29 Houston Colt .45s. The Colts are last in the entire league in starters ERA and are 5th in runs scored

Name:  Screen Shot 2018-03-08 at 10.33.48 PM.png
Views: 1301
Size:  29.2 KB

Things might be tight in the Western Division, but the Toronto Maple Leafs are a runaway train in the Eastern Division. Their 33-15 record has them a full 6 games ahead of the New York Mets for the division lead. The Maple Leafs have gotten unreal production from outfielder Leon Wagner. Wagner's 30 HR are good for first place in the league, while his .368 batting average has him in fourth place. His 63 RBI's are 9 ahead of Ted Williams for the RBI lead. The Mets are 27-21 and 6 GB of the Maple Leafs. It is still a surprise to see them over .500, as they are 6th in runs scored and 7th in runs allowed. Tony Oliva continues to be their best player, as he's hitting .370 with 15 home runs and 36 RBI's. It remains to be seen if they'll continue to be a solid ballclub.

Name:  leon_wagner_1961_.png
Views: 1356
Size:  166.5 KB

A full 8 1/2 GB of the Mets are the 18-29 Buffalo Lakers. The Lakers are led by Ted Williams. Williams is hitting .362 with 28 home runs. In last place and 16 GB are the 17-31 Atlanta Pilots. The Pilots are 2nd in the league in runs allowed, and the pitching staff is unquestionably led by young phenom Al Downing. In fact, Downing won CL Pitcher of the Month for May. In May, Downing went 5-1 with a 1.30 ERA. While they do have the 2nd best pitching staff, they have the worst offense in the league by a considerable margin, as they have 68 less runs scored than the 7th place team.

Name:  Screen Shot 2018-03-08 at 10.34.12 PM.png
Views: 1277
Size:  36.2 KB

MLB Update

American League

1) New York Yankees - 27-8
2) Chicago White Sox - 23-15 (5 1/2 GB)
3) Kansas City Athletics - 18-15 (8 GB)
4) Washington Senators - 17-15 (8 1/2 GB)
5) Baltimore Orioles - 18-17 (9 GB)
6) Detroit Tigers - 12-18 (12 1/2 GB)
7) Boston Red Sox - 12-22 (14 1/2 GB)
8) Cleveland Indians - 9-26 (18 GB)

American League Hitter of the Month: New York Yankees OF Mickey Mantle
AL Pitcher of the Month: New York Yankees RHP Bill Stafford
AL Rookie of the Month: Washington Senators OF Raymond Looney

National League

1) San Francisco Giants - 25-11
2) Cincinnati Reds - 23-13 (2 GB)
3) Pittsburgh Pirates - 23-13 (2 GB)
4) Los Angeles Dodgers - 23-15 (3 GB)
5) St. Louis Cardinals - 17-20 (8 1/2 GB)
6) Milwaukee Braves - 15-25 (12 GB)
7) Philadelphia Phillies - 14-27 (13 1/2 GB)
8) Chicago Cubs - 10-26 (15 GB)

National League Hitter of the Month: Cincinnati Reds OF Frank Robinson
NL Pitcher of the Month: San Francisco Giants RHP Jack Sanford
NL Rookie of the Month: Pittsburgh Pirates OF Lou Brock
Old 03-08-2018, 11:59 PM   #11
gskweres9
Major Leagues

Name:  AJC.png
Views: 1280
Size:  25.0 KB
June 17, 1961

PILOTS SIGN PAIR OF PROSPECTS

The Atlanta Pilots signed a pair of prospects, as young players across the country have wrapped up their high school and college seasons.

The Pilots signed outfielder Jimmy Wynn and infielder Bert Campaneris, two touted prospects.

Wynn, nicknamed the Toy Cannon, is known for his massive power despite his diminutive size.

Campaneris has very good speed, and could play multiple positions across the diamond, from catcher to first base to shortstop.

The 19-year-olds are expected to slot into the Pilots starting lineup immediately, and manager Charlie Grimm hopes the two will be a boost to the Continental League's worst offense.

"It's no secret that we've had trouble scoring runs. These two kids are talented guys and we're going to count on them to help us out. You have to give credit to our front office for signing such young and talented guys," Grimm said.

The Pilots are 20-42 and have the worst record in the Continental League.

Name:  Screen Shot 2018-03-08 at 11.18.11 PM.png
Views: 1333
Size:  174.7 KBName:  Screen Shot 2018-03-08 at 11.18.34 PM.png
Views: 1264
Size:  144.3 KB

Elsewhere in the Continental League

The Pilots weren't the only team that signed a young prospect, as the Houston Colt .45s added pitching prospect Fergie Jenkins. Similar to the Pilots with Wynn and Campaneris, the Colts will use Jenkins immediately, slotting him in their rotation.

Last edited by gskweres9; 03-09-2018 at 12:19 AM.
Old 03-09-2018, 12:17 AM   #12
gskweres9
Major Leagues

Name:  TNYT.png
Views: 1270
Size:  20.9 KB
June 21, 1961

Mets Overhaul Roster

The Mets have gone all in on the youth movement, almost totally overhauling their major league roster. The Mets signed Jim Lefebvre, John Giles, Robert Aguilar, Manuel Lopez, Paul Toth, Dennis Ribant, Phillip Kiewer, and Bob Garibaldi.

Lefebvre, Giles, Aguilar, and Lopez will all take over in the starting lineup for the Mets, while Toth, Ribant, and Kiewer will all pitch out of the rotation. Garibaldi figures to pitch significant innings out of the Mets bullpen.

The Mets are currently 32-33 and are 8 GB of the Toronto Maple Leafs for the Eastern Division lead.

Name:  Screen Shot 2018-03-08 at 11.16.19 PM.png
Views: 1337
Size:  185.9 KBName:  Screen Shot 2018-03-08 at 11.16.47 PM.png
Views: 1371
Size:  168.5 KB
Old 03-09-2018, 01:29 AM   #13
gskweres9
Major Leagues

End of June Update

Another month has come and gone in the Continental League as the season begins to wind down.

It will certainly be a tight final 10 games in the Western Division, as the Minneapolis Millers, Dallas Texans, and Denver Doves could all represent the division. The Millers currently lead the division with a 42-31 record, going 16-9 in June. Gary Lewis and Vernon Noggle continue to set the tone at the top of the rotation, while Maury Wills, William Reynolds, Gene Woodling, and Gus Bell have formed a solid top of the lineup.

Views: 1403
Size:  62.4 KBName:  Minneapolis Millers.png
Views: 1452

Right behind the Millers are the Dallas Texans. The Texans are 42-32 and are just 1/2 GB of the Millers for the division title. While the Texans have the Continental League's best offense, they need someone to step up behind Mel Stottlemyre in the rotation. They hoped that would come in the form of recent prospect signee Dave Debusschere, but he's struggled in his short career, going 0-2 with a 6.00 ERA.

Still in the hunt but needing a miracle are the Denver Doves. The Doves are 5 1/2 GB at 37-37.

In last place and eliminated from the playoffs are the Houston Colt .45s. The .45s did go 15-11 in June, their best month of the year. Some of that could be credited to Fergie Jenkins, who has gone 2-1 with a 2.08 ERA in his three starts.

Name:  Screen Shot 2018-03-09 at 12.26.29 AM.png
Views: 1299
Size:  173.5 KB

There's a lot less drama in the Eastern Division, as both the Atlanta Pilots and Buffalo Lakers have been eliminated from playoff contention. The New York Mets are in 2nd place at 37-37, however they are 7 1/2 GB of the Toronto Maple Leafs for the division title.

Continental League Pitcher of the Month: Houston Colt .45s SP Thomas Burrell
Continental League Batter of the Month: Buffalo Lakers OF Ted Williams
Old 03-09-2018, 01:40 AM   #14
gskweres9
Major Leagues

Name:  Toronto-Star-Logo.svg.png
Views: 1385
Size:  36.2 KB
July 5, 1961

TORONTO CLINCHES DIVISION

The Toronto Maple Leafs have won the Continental League of Professional Baseball Clubs' Eastern Division title, earning them a birth in the league's first ever title game.

They clinched the division with their win over the Atlanta Pilots last night.

The league's owner of the best offense and best pitching staff, the Maple Leafs are sure to be the favorite in the Continental Cup versus whichever team represents the Western Division.

Only one week remains in regular season play before the Continental Cup.
Old 03-09-2018, 02:31 AM   #15
gskweres9
Major Leagues

Name:  TDMN.png
Views: 1250
Size:  20.2 KB
July 13, 1961

Texans Clinch Division

The Dallas Texans won the Continental League of Professional Baseball Clubs' Western Division after their walk-off win against the Toronto Maple Leafs.

In what was a preview of the Continental Cup, the Texans could clinch a pennant with a win over the Maple Leafs, while a loss would open the door for the Minneapolis Millers to sneak in.

Both teams put up runs in the first inning, but the pitchers for both sides kept tossing zeros up on the board, as the game went to extra innings tied at one.

The Maple Leafs took the lead in the top of the 10th when shortstop Chico Terry led off the inning with a solo shot off of Bruce Haroldson. Terry had a spectacular day in the loss, going 4-for-5 with 2 R.

While the Maple Leafs took the lead, the Texans had different plans, striking back in the bottom of the inning. Sid Harvey led off the inning with a pinch hit single, and then Carlos Bernier clinched the playoffs and ended the season on a walk-off two-run home run.

Name:  Screen Shot 2018-03-09 at 1.31.08 AM.png
Views: 1315
Size:  163.7 KB

The Texans finished the season 48-36, one game ahead of the Minneapolis Millers for the Western Division title. The Texans will continue to play against the Toronto Maple Leafs for the Continental Cup. The Maple Leafs finished the year 50-34.
Old 03-10-2018, 03:55 PM   #16
gskweres9
Major Leagues

Continental Cup Preview

The Dallas Texans will square off with the Toronto Maple Leafs in the inaugural Continental Cup.

Toronto had the best record in the entire league at 50-34, and was a wire to wire division leader in the Eastern Division. They had identical 25-17 records at home and on the road. Their 460 runs scored placed them 2nd in the entire Continental League, while their 341 runs allowed was 1st.

Leon Wagner was the standout in the Maple Leafs lineup with a .358 AVG, 45 HR's, and 91 RBI's. Toronto's rotation was led by Curt Raydon, who led the league in innings pitched with 154.1 and had an ERA of 2.97. He struggled getting run support, however, going only 9-7 on the year.

While Toronto excelled all year long, they did struggle against the Texans, going just 4-8.

The Texans have the league's best offense, scoring 470 runs, however their 384 runs allowed was good for just 5th place in the 8 team league. The Texans' best hitter was catcher Bobby Morgan, who hit .303 with 22 HR and 72 RBI. Mel Stottlemyre was Dallas' best pitcher, going 7-8 with a 3.09 ERA in 21 GS.

Pitching Matchups

Game One
DAL: Daniel Paul (7-1, 3.42 ERA)
TOR: Ron Mrozinski (6-10, 3.89 ERA)

Game Two
DAL: Dave Debusschere (1-2, 6.55 ERA)
TOR: Gene Snyder (7-4, 3.88 ERA)

Game Three
TOR: Jim Merritt (2-2, 5.70 ERA)
DAL: Mel Stottlemyre (7-8, 3.09 ERA)

Game Four
TOR: Curt Raydon (9-7, 2.87 ERA)
DAL: Arthur Bock (8-6, 3.98 ERA)

Game Five*
TOR: Ron Mrozinski (6-10, 3.89 ERA)
DAL: Daniel Paul (7-1, 3.42 ERA)

Game Six*
DAL: Dave Debusschere (1-2, 6.55 ERA)
TOR: Gene Snyder (7-4, 3.88 ERA)

Game Seven*
DAL: Mel Stottlemyre (7-8, 3.09 ERA)
TOR: Jim Merritt (2-2, 5.70 ERA)

Views: 1370
Size:  62.4 KBName:  toronto_maple_leafs.png
Views: 2067
Size:  28.4 KB

Last edited by gskweres9; 03-10-2018 at 05:56 PM.
Old 03-20-2018, 07:17 PM   #17
gskweres9
Major Leagues

Sorry for taking forever! Life happens. Will post the Continental Series results shortly
Old 03-20-2018, 07:50 PM   #18
gskweres9
Major Leagues

Views: 1199
July 15, 1961

Texans Take Game One

The Dallas Texans took game one of the inaugural Continental Series on Saturday. The Toronto Maple Leafs kicked off the scoring in the bottom of the first when John Harmon scored on a Chico Terry single. Harmon reached base on a single before stealing second base.

The lead wouldn't last long, as the Texans answered back in the top of the second when Bobby Thomson drove in Bobby Morgan on an RBI groundout.

Terry came through for the Maple Leafs again in the third, when he blasted a go-ahead two-run home run. MVP candidate Leon Wagner followed that up with a home run of his own. Toronto eventually tacked on another run in the inning, giving them a 5-1 lead.

The Texans refused to quit, as they came storming back in the 4th, scoring three runs. Thomson was responsible for two of them, clubbing an opposite field homer down the right field line.

However the Maple Leafs extended the lead again in the bottom of the inning when starting pitcher Ron Mrozinski hit a solo homer.

The Texans scored one in the top of the 7th, but the Maple Leafs answered back with two of their own in the bottom of the inning, making the score 8-6.

Dallas struck back with a vengeance in the top of the 8th. Peter Danovich and Carlos Bernier both reached base on walks against Toronto reliever Raul Oro. Roy White then singled up the middle. Bobby Morgan provided the blast of the day, hitting a grand slam to the left field power alley. Dallas had nothing doing the rest of the inning, but the damage was done, as they held a 10-8 lead.

Danovich slugged a solo homer in the top of the 9th, giving Dallas an 11-8 lead. Dave Debusschere came on to shut the door in the bottom of the 9th.

The use of Debusschere was an interesting one, as he was slated to start game two.

Dallas leads the series 1-0.

Last edited by gskweres9; 03-20-2018 at 09:33 PM.
Old 03-20-2018, 08:13 PM   #19
gskweres9
Major Leagues

Views: 1194
July 16, 1961

The Dallas Texans won a seesaw affair on Sunday, beating the Toronto Maple Leafs 11-9. The Texans struck first, scoring in the top of the first when Earl Torgeson drew a bases loaded walk, plating Roy White. The Texans would score again one batter later when Dave Bristol recorded a sacrifice fly.

The Maple Leafs quickly took the lead back in the bottom of half on the inning. Catcher Chuck Buheller drove home two on a triple off the wall in left center before scoring on an infield single from Ted Lepcio to take a 3-2 lead.

Peter Danovich hit his second homer in as many days in the top of the second, tying the game at three. Bristol helped the cause again in the third, giving Dallas the lead on an RBI single. Bobby Thomson singled one batter later, scoring Torgeson, and giving Dallas a two run lead.

Toronto then tied the game in the fourth. Buheller led off the innign with a homer. Shortstop John Harmon then delivered a game-tying, two out single later in the inning. The Maple Leafs threatened to score again in the fifth, loading the bases with no outs, but a strikeout and a double play ended the inning.

Harmon slugged a go-ahead homer in the sixth, however, giving Toronto a 6-5 lead. Dallas took the lead back in the seventh, scoring three runs. Bobby Thomson had the key hit in the inning, scoring two runs on a triple down the right field line.

The two-run lead wouldn't be enough for Dallas in this crazy contest, as the Maple Leafs answered right back in the bottom of the frame. Leon Wagner and Don Taussig both singled to score the inning. A wild pickoff attempt scored Wagner, making the score 8-7. Then, Lepcio doubled, tying the game at eight.

Dallas took the lead again in the eighth, scoring their second run of the game on a bases loaded walk. A solo homer from Wagner in the bottom half of the inning tied the game up yet again. Neither team scored in the 9th, sending the game to extra innings.

Thomson came through for Dallas in the top of the tenth, driving in two runs on a single. Chris Nicolosi earned the save, retiring three of four hitters in the bottom half of the inning.

Dallas now leads the series 2-0. The teams have an off day to account for travel from Toronto to Dallas before resuming play.
Old 03-20-2018, 08:21 PM   #20
gskweres9
Major Leagues

Views: 1187
July 18, 1961

Texans One Win Away

The Dallas Texans have taken a commanding 3-0 series lead after defeating the Toronto Maple Leafs 6-2 on Tuesday. Dallas jumped out to an early lead, scoring three runs in the bottom of the first inning. The lead off hitter Carlos Bernier reached base on a bunt single before eventually scoring on a Bobby Morgan sacrifice fly. Earl Torgeson then delivered a two-run home run, giving the Texans a 3-0 lead.

The Texans would score two more runs in the third and one in the fourth to give themselves a 6-0 lead. While the Maple Leafs did score one run in the sixth and one run in the eighth, that would be all they had going for them against starting pitcher Arthur Bock.

Bock went 8.0 IP, allowing just one earned run while striking out 11.

The Texans can win the Continental Series with a victory tomorrow.