Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 18 > OOTP 18 - Historical Simulations

OOTP 18 - Historical Simulations Discuss historical simulations and their results in this forum.

Old 04-07-2017, 10:01 PM   #21
thehef
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Fan View Post
In my current sim I went to 16 teams in 1903 and then added a second AAA level independent league of 16 teams around 1908 or so. There were still tons of free agents but at least I got a lot of them playing. The issue with adding the second league after starting the game was I had to contend with fictional players that needed deleting. To make that easier I set the new fictional league to be based in Brazil (you can use any country that wouldn't have real players at this time) which allowed me to quickly filter most of the fictional players and deleting them... Once those players were deleted I changed the nation and renamed all my teams.
After the first or second year, I expanded my AAA league from 8 to 16 teams. Then, in 1904, I added another 16-team AAA league and a 16-team AA league (not sure what difference the AAA vs AA designation makes, since all of the players are historical and there are no affiliations). With those two new leagues in 1904 I had no trouble identifying and deleting the fictional players that were created. As long as I didn't advance a day, then the only players in those leagues were fictional; thus, easy to identify.

Quote:
I then folded my fictional Western League when the PCL began and folded the other one in the late 1920's as more minor leagues started to show up.
I'll probably do something similar when I get there. I'm only in 1911 and am looking forward to the Federal League joining my game. Spritze says it runs alongside the fictions minors, no problem, so that's cool.

Quote:
By creating a fictional independent minor league the negro league players do have a place to play prior to 1920....which is one of the main reasons I added one as illustrated above.
Negro leaguers are importing and some are doing pretty well...

So far, with some tweaks to the setup, I'm finding that I'm also able to use historical transactions for the majors. And I'm also able to get many minor-leaguers to import to their actual teams, as long as the real team names exist in these fictional minor leagues.
thehef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 06:56 AM   #22
thehef
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I then folded my fictional Western League when the PCL began and folded the other one in the late 1920's as more minor leagues started to show up.
I've never actually folded a league, so what steps do you take to do that? Do you delete it? If so, does OOTP still show that league's history? Or do you move/delete all teams from the league, make sure there is no schedule, and then the league is effectively defunct?
Old 04-12-2017, 01:33 PM   #23
mjj55409
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehef View Post
I've never actually folded a league, so what steps do you take to do that? Do you delete it? If so, does OOTP still show that league's history? Or do you move/delete all teams from the league, make sure there is no schedule, and then the league is effectively defunct?
If you delete the league, the history remains.
Old 04-12-2017, 03:32 PM   #24
mjj55409
All Star Starter

I'm playing around with this setup, and I cannot keep fictional players from being generated for the minor league. It's happening during the season. First in May, Indianapolis has a bunch of players generated:

Then in September, the same thing happens to Grand Rapids:

Anyone have any clues?
Old 04-12-2017, 04:05 PM   #25
thehef
Hall Of Famer

Double-check:

League Settings > Rules: Disable automatic creation of Free Agents is checked

League Settings > Players: Default Player Origin = 0; the four Generate/Discovery values are set to None
Old 04-12-2017, 05:06 PM   #26
mjj55409
All Star Starter

Quote:
Double-check:

League Settings > Rules: Disable automatic creation of Free Agents is checked

League Settings > Players: Default Player Origin = 0; the four Generate/Discovery values are set to None
Yup, those are set correctly. I'm wondering if there are injuries and the clubs are running out of cash and/or the remaining free agents are refusing to sign minor league contracts. In previous versions, the sim would stop if lineups were not able to be filled. I'd prefer that behavior in this case. At any rate, more experimentation is necessary.
Old 04-12-2017, 05:38 PM   #27
mjj55409
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjj55409 View Post
Yup, those are set correctly. I'm wondering if there are injuries and the clubs are running out of cash and/or the remaining free agents are refusing to sign minor league contracts. In previous versions, the sim would stop if lineups were not able to be filled. I'd prefer that behavior in this case. At any rate, more experimentation is necessary.
Just simmed 1901 again. Different teams at different points in the season, but still the fictional players are created. Clubs are not running out of cash and there are still 29 free agents in the pool. This might need a bug report.
Old 04-12-2017, 06:07 PM   #28
thehef
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Just simmed 1901 again. Different teams at different points in the season, but still the fictional players are created. Clubs are not running out of cash and there are still 29 free agents in the pool. This might need a bug report.
I know that Spritze has done testing with this mode of play (and others) and has had issues with unwanted fictionals. Tiger Fan describes in this tutorial of getting some fictionals. OTOH, I only get ficts when I add a new minor league, and they are easy to identify (and delete). So I'm thinking it's one (or more) of three possible explanations for these varied results with fictionals appearing: 1) slight but significant differences in settings or source files, 2) different build versions behaving differently, or 3) a bug that causes erratic fictional creation behavior.

I'd wait and see what some others - mitchkenn? davidwatts? - might have to add to this, and then consider reporting as a bug. If anything, this reinforces the need for a checkbox: Create none-zip-zero fictional players under any circumstances, ever, no matter what, despite what other settings might indicate. Never. Ever. Nill. None. Not a single one. Zero (0)... And then have that feature actually work.

Last edited by thehef; 04-12-2017 at 06:15 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 04-12-2017, 06:44 PM   #29
mjj55409
All Star Starter

Quote:
OTOH, I only get ficts when I add a new minor league, and they are easy to identify (and delete).
So you've never seen this behavior? Fictionals being created mid-season?

I'm suspicious of some safety valve being triggered; not wanting the rosters to get too low, so the rosters are "restocked".

I created my 1901 minor league with 8 teams. I'm going to drop it to 6 and see if things change.
Old 04-12-2017, 06:58 PM   #30
thehef
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
So you've never seen this behavior? Fictionals being created mid-season?
No, not in leagues created according to Tiger Fans instructions at the beginning of this thread, plus some modifications to allow for MLB historical txns.

Quote:
I'm suspicious of some safety valve being triggered; not wanting the rosters to get too low, so the rosters are "restocked".

I created my 1901 minor league with 8 teams. I'm going to drop it to 6 and see if things change.
If you are following Tiger Fan's instructions, rosters being too low wouldn't be the issue; you'd have enough free agents to fill 8 teams, no problem. And as you progress through the next few seasons, you'll have enough free agents to fill out many more minor-league teams. (I quickly expanded an 8-team league to 16, then added 32 more teams a couple years later. I could've probably doubled both of those numbers and had enough players.)
Old 04-12-2017, 07:04 PM   #31
mjj55409
All Star Starter

Quote:
If you are following Tiger Fan's instructions, rosters being too low wouldn't be the issue; you'd have enough free agents to fill 8 teams, no problem.
I'm following the setup outlined in this thread. And there are still free agents in the pool when the fictionals are created. That's what makes it so puzzling.
Old 04-12-2017, 07:19 PM   #32
thehef
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'm following the setup outlined in this thread. And there are still free agents in the pool when the fictionals are created. That's what makes it so puzzling.
Yes, when I first create a fictional minor league, then I do get fictional players. The key is to make you sure you do not advance a day, and then you should easily be able to bulk-identify and delete these fictionals by going to [League Name] > Reports & Info > List All Players; do NOT use that league's Free Agent list, which will include your real-life FA's whom you do not want to delete.

As for fictionals appearing at other times during the season, I have not seen that. And I hope I don't.

Last edited by thehef; 04-12-2017 at 07:21 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 04-12-2017, 07:55 PM   #33
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

Only had a few minutes but I think there is a problem that wasn't there in previous builds when I created a league. The game keeps generating fictional players to fill rosters in a 1901 league.

I set the fictional league so all created fictional players would only be From Japan to make it easy to identify them in a 1901 historical world. I delete all of the fictional players, sim a week and there are more created despite there being real free agents available to be signed.

Don't have anymore time tonight to look at it but there is definitely something not right that was fine in a previous build
Tiger Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 02:02 PM   #34
mjj55409
All Star Starter

Definitely something to do with talent and/or position distribution among the remaining free agents.

Started another sim in 1901 with an 8 team minor league. Made it through 1901 with no fictional players. Added another 8 team minor league for 1902. There were a couple of teams that just refused to fill out their rosters, resulting in the generation of fictional players. I rolled back to 1/1/1902, released all the players currently on the existing minor league clubs reserve rosters. This seemed to help. There were "better" players available, which helped the recalcitrant clubs fill their rosters.
Old 04-13-2017, 02:40 PM   #35
thehef
Hall Of Famer

I'm guessing it's a build issue that relates not so much to the build that you're on, but the build you were on when you created the game.

Both Spritze & Tiger Fan have reported this bug in beta, and along with your report in the bug forum, hopefully that will be enough to get this irritating bug squashed.
Old 04-13-2017, 03:21 PM   #36
Spritze
OOTP Historical Czar

It appears to be a "Would you rather" issue. In Historical play the game would rather fill rosters with fictional players than poorly rated real players and it would also rather use Jim Unknown ghost players during games than poorly rated real players on the roster. It also likes to give pitching staff rotation spots to Jim Unknown rather than poorly rated real players even if they have lots of stamina and could start.

I guess Historical play really means Semi-Historical and the game just reflects that design concept. It came into play when the minors were added in OOTP17. Before that since the minors were fictional and had a limited pool of MLB players to draw from this probably made sense. With the much larger pool of players available when a gamer chooses to play with real minor leagues on it probably does not but not everyone likes to play with that option on. I think we may just need to play Semi-Historical to accommodate those that do not play with real minor leagues at all.

Even so adding a Fictional/Real choice in player lists would be a big help for those of us who would prefer playing only real players. If we had that and were diligent at deleting we could also get to the game we would like to play.
Old 04-13-2017, 06:01 PM   #37
thehef
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spritze View Post
Even so adding a Fictional/Real choice in player lists would be a big help for those of us who would prefer playing only real players. If we had that and were diligent at deleting we could also get to the game we would like to play.
I hear you. Still, if the game is going to offer fictional and historical as modes of play, you should 100% be able to keep real players out of your fictional game, and fictional players out of your historical game... And it seems that ought to be a fairly simple enough thing to code (even though at that point a gamer might be faced with "not enough players" message, and would then have to choose between allowing ghosts, creating fictionals, importing additional players, unretiring players...).

I realize I am sermonizing to the vocalists...
Old 04-13-2017, 07:45 PM   #38
mjj55409
All Star Starter

Quote:
...even though at that point a gamer might be faced with "not enough players" message, and would then have to choose between allowing ghosts, creating fictionals, importing additional players, unretiring players...).
Which is exactly what used to happen. This automagically creating players to fill rosters behind the scenes is rather new (and dare I say unwanted) behavior.
Old 04-17-2017, 11:32 AM   #39
RMc
All Star Starter

Hey, Spritze: I believe at one point you mentioned the possibility of creating a "super database" with all players (MLB, minors, NeL) available. Anything new on that?
Old 04-17-2017, 01:54 PM   #40
Spritze
OOTP Historical Czar

Depends on if the player import issues get fixed and if the Japanese and Korean Leagues get added.

So we will need to wait and see.