Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 10-20-2019, 09:52 AM   #221
zappa1
All Star Starter

Now I can watch the World Series in peace. My brother is the Yankee fan and he doesn't care much for baseball. He's a football fan. It would be like me saying I don't care for Basketball but the Celtics are my favorite Basketball team. lol lol
zappa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 09:52 AM   #222
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

That's all for 2019. Verdict: Given the ridiculous amount of injuries this season, they overachieved. Aaron Boone deserves Manager of the Year.

I suppose it's part of the super-competitive nature required of winners these days, but I hate to hear talk like this:

“It’s a failure,” Judge said quietly but resolutely, very much echoing an owner, George Steinbrenner, he never played for but in some ways matches in spirit. “In spring training we talked about winning the division, putting ourselves in a good spot in the postseason and the World Series. And we came up short. So no matter how many games we won in the regular season or anything else we did, the season’s a failure.”

They were a couple of games away from going to the World Series, a better performance than 26 other teams, but that doesn't seem to count at all. With attitudes like this, I wonder how professional athletes can endure playing season after season without being the big winners.

Interesting fact: This is the first decade since the 1910s that the Yankees didn’t make the World Series. They last won it in 2009.

But here's the thing: At no time in these past 10 years have I ever felt as bad about the Yankees as I have about the Knicks and Giants. The Yankees don't seem like failures to me.

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 10:15 AM   #223
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Déjà Bru View Post
That's all for 2019. Verdict: Given the ridiculous amount of injuries this season, they overachieved. Aaron Boone deserves Manager of the Year.

I suppose it's part of the super-competitive nature required of winners these days, but I hate to hear talk like this:

“It’s a failure,” Judge said quietly but resolutely, very much echoing an owner, George Steinbrenner, he never played for but in some ways matches in spirit. “In spring training we talked about winning the division, putting ourselves in a good spot in the postseason and the World Series. And we came up short. So no matter how many games we won in the regular season or anything else we did, the season’s a failure.”

They were a couple of games away from going to the World Series, a better performance than 26 other teams, but that doesn't seem to count at all. With attitudes like this, I wonder how professional athletes can endure playing season after season without being the big winners.

Interesting fact: This is the first decade since the 1910s that the Yankees didn’t make the World Series. They last won it in 2009.

But here's the thing: At no time in these past 10 years have I ever felt as bad about the Yankees as I have about the Knicks and Giants. The Yankees don't seem like failures to me.
I think you need to put a bit of perspective on those comments DB - interview any professional athlete right after they've just been knocked out of the play-offs. It's mostly gloom and doom you hear. It's a pretty emotional time for an athlete. I'm not sure what you expected Judge to say - "It was a success"?

Interview him again in a few days and I bet you get a much more thought out and insightful response. There's a lot of emotion in the first few hours/days after a devastating loss. It's human nature.

I would think playing season after season would be easy and inspiring if you came close. That would just be more motivation to get back imo.

I have no doubt the Yankees will be right back in the thick of a WS Title chase again next season.
Bluenoser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 10:18 AM   #224
Reed
All Star Starter

Last night's game was very very good and exciting. The Yankees played hard and have a very good ball club. Yes it is kind of hard to imagine the Yankees not being in the World Series for the decade. With so many teams and with the playoffs, you have to be good and lucky to be World Series Champs present day, especially if you make it 2 or 3 times in a 5 year period. IMO
Reed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 08:54 PM   #225
monkeyman576
Hall Of Famer

I don't have much sympathy for the "first decade since yada yada yada the Yankees didn't make the world series." It must be so terrible for you.

The fact is that Expansion and Sabermetrics have made it more difficult to buy your way to a championship. And that's the way it should be.
monkeyman576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 11:13 AM   #226
AirmenSmith
Hall Of Famer

Here is my take on things from last preseason to now. Just random things. Let me know your take.

What I was against in preseason

1. Signing CC. Fine if you want to bring him back but don't hold his salary against the cap. Yes you have to technically but internally you can write it off since he shouldn't have been back.

2. Signing Hicks to a long extension. Just not a fan of Hicks for that amount of money.

3. Not going for Harper. I still believe he would have been great in this lineup so I wish they had gone and gotten him.

Where I was wrong

1. Not going for Corbin. I liked the Paxton trade and thought ok this will work out with have Tanaka, Sevy, Paxton. So no need to put the money in Corbin. While I still like the Paxton trade I do wish we had Corbin.

2. Boone as a manager. I now believe Boone is a good clubhouse manager. I do have issues with his managing style but I am more confident in him now then I was at the beginning of the year.

Playoffs idea

1. Not sure what they hell they were thinking about with Stanton on the roster. Felt like they played with a 24 man roster.

2. Something I have wondered. Wouldn't it have been a good idea to have Romine start at catcher and have Sanchez in DH? They would have a better defensive catcher but still Sancehz's bat? Just something I wondered from the beginning of the series.

Future

1. Let go of Didi and Edwain. Money can be spent elsewhere without impacting the team.
2. Don't resign Chapman if he opts out.
3. Trade for pitching. Trade candidates Frazier, Andujar, Paxton
4. Please for the love of god sign Boras I mean Cole.
5. Just a funny thought but what about having CC as a pitching coach?

AirmenSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 12:18 PM   #227
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyman576 View Post
I don't have much sympathy for the "first decade since yada yada yada the Yankees didn't make the world series." It must be so terrible for you.

The fact is that Expansion and Sabermetrics have made it more difficult to buy your way to a championship. And that's the way it should be.
Would it surprise you if I were to say that I agree with you?

- Bru

Old 10-21-2019, 12:57 PM   #228
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

My take.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirmenSmith View Post
Here is my take on things from last preseason to now. Just random things. Let me know your take.

What I was against in preseason

1. Signing CC. Fine if you want to bring him back but don't hold his salary against the cap. Yes you have to technically but internally you can write it off since he shouldn't have been back.
It was evident that CC was literally on his last legs. Yet, I respect the team for letting him go out his own way. Don't forget that he was a clubhouse presence and they will miss that next season.
2. Signing Hicks to a long extension. Just not a fan of Hicks for that amount of money.
Agree. I think he demonstrated this year that he is no longer a "prospect with huge upside potential." More like a journeyman outfielder. Still, given the injury bug we saw this year, I say we keep him around for reasonable money.
3. Not going for Harper. I still believe he would have been great in this lineup so I wish they had gone and gotten him.
See monkeyman, above.

Where I was wrong

1. Not going for Corbin. I liked the Paxton trade and thought ok this will work out with have Tanaka, Sevy, Paxton. So no need to put the money in Corbin. While I still like the Paxton trade I do wish we had Corbin.
Yeah, and that bum is going to the World Series and we're not.
2. Boone as a manager. I now believe Boone is a good clubhouse manager. I do have issues with his managing style but I am more confident in him now then I was at the beginning of the year.
+1. Boone for MotY and that's not just Yankee-talk.

Playoffs idea

1. Not sure what they hell they were thinking about with Stanton on the roster. Felt like they played with a 24 man roster.
See above for my rant on Stanton. He's a prime example of why I agree with monkeyman.
2. Something I have wondered. Wouldn't it have been a good idea to have Romine start at catcher and have Sanchez in DH? They would have a better defensive catcher but still Sancehz's bat? Just something I wondered from the beginning of the series.
I'll go even further and risk flaming darts from other Yankee fans: Romine should be the starting catcher and they should trade Sanchez before he has another one of his .186 seasons. You take Romine's .281 batting average and 35 RBI's and project them over a full season (for a catcher) and he more than matches Sanchez's 77 RBI's (I don't care about Sanchez's 34 homers; probably 1/3 of those were do to the juiced-up ball this season), plus Romine is a better defensive catcher.

Future

1. Let go of Didi and Edwain. Money can be spent elsewhere without impacting the team.
Agree on Encarnacion. Not so sure on Gregorius. His late season slump may be from recuperating from injury. When he is hot, he is scalding. I want him to stay around and play himself off the club. Besides, that injury thing again: You let Didi go and Gleyber probably goes down with a SEI.

2. Don't resign Chapman if he opts out.
Is it my imagination or is he having trouble throwing strikes? (Kidding. But serious, too. ) I dunno. That guy Britton can close - he had 47 saves three years ago - but he hasn't been a closer since coming to the Yankees and he's 32 next year. But so will Chapman be. Hopefully he does not opt out - he may be unpleasantly surprised if he does. I say we let him walk in that case.

3. Trade for pitching. Trade candidates Frazier, Andujar, Paxton
Gonna have to, now. But trade Paxton? I thought you liked him and, um, he is a pitcher. I saw his gutty performance in Game 5 against Verlander and I was impressed. Trade instead: Sanchez. Stanton? Is he tradeable?

4. Please for the love of god sign Boras I mean Cole.
Which one? Hamels or Gerritt? Both are free agents in 2020. I assume you mean Gerritt because he is the one that you would be salivating after. Also, Boras comes in his package deal; love Cole, gotta, hmm, tolerate Boras. Well, I cannot disagree but Gerritt's going to cost a boatload of money. Despite what monkeyman thinks, we do have to sign a free agent once in a while! It seems to me that other teams are doing the same these days.

5. Just a funny thought but what about having CC as a pitching coach?
That's a great thought and I wouldn't be surprised if it happened. Just please don't make him the conditioning coach!

- Bru

Last edited by Déjà Bru; 10-21-2019 at 03:46 PM.
Old 10-24-2019, 01:50 PM   #229
knightdreamer2k
Major Leagues

I was on a cruise ship so didn't see much of the last few games of the ALCS. I am not disappointed about the season, just not happy the way the ALCS turned out. I thought pitching wise the Yanks did fine, but their offense did not show up like I hoped it would. After watching the Nationals though I might feel less upset as I don't think the Yanks would have matched up well with them.

I think the Yanks biggest priority is picking up an ace pitcher, somehow. I agree about trading Sanchez, but not because of his numbers more to fact he is not needed in this lineup with hitters galore. Maybe bring in another catcher and platoon with Romine, as I don't think Romine is an everyday player. I think the offseason may be defined by trades as it seems the Yankees have too many players with only positions to fill.
knightdreamer2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 10:26 AM   #230
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightdreamer2k View Post
I was on a cruise ship so didn't see much of the last few games of the ALCS. I am not disappointed about the season, just not happy the way the ALCS turned out. I thought pitching wise the Yanks did fine, but their offense did not show up like I hoped it would. After watching the Nationals though I might feel less upset as I don't think the Yanks would have matched up well with them.

I think the Yanks biggest priority is picking up an ace pitcher, somehow. I agree about trading Sanchez, but not because of his numbers more to fact he is not needed in this lineup with hitters galore. Maybe bring in another catcher and platoon with Romine, as I don't think Romine is an everyday player. I think the offseason may be defined by trades as it seems the Yankees have too many players with only positions to fill.
I tend to be a stick in the mud when it comes to baseball, so here I go again: I don't like this opener/follower routine. Too many links in that chain, which is only as strong as its weakest link. By that I mean it only takes one guy having a bad day/season/career to throw away a game. Why take chances by planning for such a risk?

Instead, I see a starting pitcher as the key to the game. If he is doing well, leave him in there until he falters. Then bring in a reliever who is having a good day/season/career. I'd like to see baseball return to the era of dominant starting pitchers because I think that is the best way to win games.

That is, find the hottest hand and go with it for as many innings as possible. Don't script a game so that you are obligated to bring Luis Cessa into a tight ballgame simply because "it's time."

Back to the time when guys would pitch dozens of complete games each season? No. Not even I am that nostalgic or naive to believe those times are ever coming back. I would like to have 4 or 5 starters capable of going 7+ innings depending on how well they are doing, though, and 200+ innings for the season should be a reasonable goal without fearing injury from overuse.

- Bru

Old 10-25-2019, 10:41 AM   #231
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
My take.
Agree. I think he demonstrated this year that he is no longer a "prospect with huge upside potential." More like a journeyman outfielder. Still, given the injury bug we saw this year, I say we keep him around for reasonable money.
Heh, I said this without knowing that he needed Tommy John surgery and will be out for 8-10 months. Also, I think we both erred in that I see he is already has a long extension. According to Wikipedia, "On January 11, 2019, Hicks signed a one-year, $6 million contract to remain with the Yankees. On February 25, Hicks signed a seven-year, $70 million contract extension, replacing the one-year deal. The deal includes a $12.5 million club option for 2026, a $1 million buyout and a $2 million signing bonus." So, we are stuck with him barring a trade.

- Bru

Old 10-28-2019, 12:14 PM   #232
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Unlike many other fans, now is the time when my interest in OOTPB peaks. The Yankees are out of it and the Giants, Knicks, and Rangers are all terrible (as usual for the first two). I take refuge in virtual sports until the arrival of spring . . . and spring training.

- Bru

Old 11-04-2019, 02:04 PM   #233
AirmenSmith
Hall Of Famer

Well the Yanks have Chapman back. Not the way I would have gone with Cole/Stras on the market. I really wish the Yanks would get Cole. I feel like he is the last piece needed honestly. Someone the Yanks can go to for the "Auto" win.

Not sure where they go now. I feel they should really take into account that Ellisbury (Happ I think as well) will be coming off the books next year. So that will free up a ton of money since the tax plays into everything now. Right now they should spend on pitching because they are not breaking the bank on their infield at all.

Ahh just so frustrating when the fix is right there.

AirmenSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 04:00 PM   #234
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Things have changed a bit now, which makes the Chapman deal look better. They declined the option on Encarnacion, which was smart in my opinion, and surprisingly, they didn't "extend a qualifying offer" to Gregorius. I'm not exactly sure what that means, other than it's a foot in the door to get draft-pick compensation should Gregorius sign elsewhere, but the paper says it's likely an indication that they Yankees are going to let him walk anyway. They didn't make such an offer to Betances, Romine, or Gardner, either. It looks like they are freeing up money to go for a star pitcher in free agency.

- Bru

Old 12-07-2019, 11:13 AM   #235
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Headline: Yankees GM Brian Cashman rappels down a building

Why is it that this bothers me? I've run down a list of reasons and cannot find one that is satisfactory.

1) Exhibitionism? That doesn't seem to fit the man's profile.

2) Recklessness? Sure, but why should I care? I mean, I want him to be safe but he's not even an acquaintance of mine.

3) Jealousy? Yeah, right. I have better things to do with my time, even if it's just posting in this forum on this topic.

4) Foolishness? Hmmm. That comes closest to ringing the bell. It's just plain stupid to be suspending yourself by a rope from the top of a tall building even if it is to raise money for a charity. The philanthropic goal seems to be an excuse for engaging in silliness that can only encourage others - perhaps less well-prepared than Mr. Cashman - to engage in similarly foolish behavior.

EDIT: I was wrong about the charity part. After viewing the video and noticing its caption, it turns out that this was for a Stamford city promotional event called Heights & Lights. Well. That brings number 1 back into play. Now it's a combination of 1) and 4) that seems to explain my antipathy.
Attached Images
Image Image 

- Bru

Last edited by Déjà Bru; 12-07-2019 at 11:24 AM.
Old 12-07-2019, 12:05 PM   #236
CBeisbol
Banned

Quote:
Why is it that this bothers me? I've run down a list of reasons and cannot find one that is satisfactory.

1) Exhibitionism? That doesn't seem to fit the man's profile.

2) Recklessness? Sure, but why should I care? I mean, I want him to be safe but he's not even an acquaintance of mine.

3) Jealousy? Yeah, right. I have better things to do with my time, even if it's just posting in this forum on this topic.

4) Foolishness? Hmmm. That comes closest to ringing the bell. It's just plain stupid to be suspending yourself by a rope from the top of a tall building even if it is to raise money for a charity. The philanthropic goal seems to be an excuse for engaging in silliness that can only encourage others - perhaps less well-prepared than Mr. Cashman - to engage in similarly foolish behavior.

EDIT: I was wrong about the charity part. After viewing the video and noticing its caption, it turns out that this was for a Stamford city promotional event called Heights & Lights. Well. That brings number 1 back into play. Now it's a combination of 1) and 4) that seems to explain my antipathy.
Good on you for wondering why another person's actions that don't involve you in the slightest bother you. The unexamined life not being worth living and all.

But, then, you forgot to think about the most important part of the equation - yourself.

I'm sure this act doesn't bother other people (me, for instance). So, perhaps, they don't see it as either being "exhibitionist" nor "foolish". Thus, those designations must come from inside yourself (and seeing as they are completely subjective definitions that makes sense).

The question, then, becomes why do *you* see it has exhibitionist and foolish.

I, for a point of reference, don't see it as either. If anything, I'm jealous, but not enough for it to bother me.

Last edited by CBeisbol; 12-07-2019 at 12:22 PM.
CBeisbol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 01:40 PM   #237
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post
Good on you for wondering why another person's actions that don't involve you in the slightest bother you. The unexamined life not being worth living and all.

But, then, you forgot to think about the most important part of the equation - yourself.

I'm sure this act doesn't bother other people (me, for instance). So, perhaps, they don't see it as either being "exhibitionist" nor "foolish". Thus, those designations must come from inside yourself (and seeing as they are completely subjective definitions that makes sense).

The question, then, becomes why do *you* see it has exhibitionist and foolish.

I, for a point of reference, don't see it as either. If anything, I'm jealous, but not enough for it to bother me.
An interesting perspective. Of course my opinion comes from being a socially (not politically) conservative person who gets much joy out of life without needing to rappel down buildings, or bungee jump, or hang glide.

It's certainly not jealousy; speaking of which, why should you be at all jealous? The opportunities are out there; go ahead and avail yourself, but safely.

Because that's the thing. People will imitate dumb stuff like this (sorry, I still think that way) without taking the time and effort to be safe. But then again, there is a casualty rate these days for people falling to their deaths while taking selfies. No need to encourage them, though.

- Bru

Old 12-07-2019, 05:03 PM   #238
CBeisbol
Banned

Quote:
An interesting perspective. Of course my opinion comes from being a socially (not politically) conservative person who gets much joy out of life without needing to rappel down buildings, or bungee jump, or hang glide.
Not saying you are, but many people wear this as a badge of honor.

It's largely a product of brain chemistry. People have different baseline levels of chemicals like dopamine. People with higher levels are generally happier/more content. People with lower levels are more easily bored and need to do things to increase their dopamine levels. I'm the second type.

Quote:
It's certainly not jealousy; speaking of which, why should you be at all jealous? The opportunities are out there; go ahead and avail yourself, but safely.
Because I'm a "Sensation-Seeker". I need experiences to feel the same level of contentness that other people feel naturally.

I do a lot of things. Repelling down a building isn't one I've done yet. It's not super high on my list, but it's on the list somewhere.

Quote:
Because that's the thing. People will imitate dumb stuff like this (sorry, I still think that way) without taking the time and effort to be safe. But then again, there is a casualty rate these days for people falling to their deaths while taking selfies. No need to encourage them, though.
It's always a question how much responsibility wwe have to others. I typically think we have a large responsibility to others.

But I don't see this as his responsibility.

He did the activity, presumably safely. That's not foolish, to me.

Someone else who does the activity unsafely is committing a foolish act.

We all decided for ourselves what constitutes "safe" and "unsafe" and how much risk we are willing to take for ourselves.

That someone is willing to accept more, or less, risk than someone else isn't foolish.
CBeisbol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 07:11 PM   #239
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Hmmm. You make sense here. Thanks.

- Bru

Old 12-09-2019, 11:05 AM   #240
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

I'm sorry, CB, but this is simply not dignified!

Name:  Image0252.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  100.8 KB

But I take your point. On to more serious Yankees business!

Such as talk that the ballclub is prepared to give Gerrit Cole the richest contract for any starting pitcher in MLB history – much more than the seven-year, $217 million pact David Price signed with the Red Sox in December 2015 - and they are willing to pierce luxury tax thresholds in order to do so.

Cashman as Christmas elf, indeed!

- Bru