Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - Fictional Simulations

OOTP 19 - Fictional Simulations Discuss fictional simulations and their results in this forum.

Old 09-12-2018, 10:28 AM   #1
bcarrey
Bat Boy

All-Time Hometown Teams

Hey guys, I'm wondering if it's possible to take all players from the history of baseball and put them onto teams based on where they were born/raised. This is not possible in MLB the Show considering the lack of Canadians, or people born in Delaware etc.

However, if I was able to take all players in existence (players from the 60's, 70's etc) is this possible???

Thanks!!
bcarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 10:59 AM   #2
battists
Hall Of Famer

I don’t do historical simming, but I think there could be a way to do it. It would likely be EXTREMELY tedious to set up, but all of the data is there.

What I don’t know is how to get historical players from multiple years into a league. I’m sure people who do historical know better than I do.

If you don’t hear back here, consider asking this in the historical sub forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-12-2018, 11:21 AM   #3
mitchkenn
Hall Of Famer

there may be other ways, but after you research and find where the players were born, you could create a series of text files (one for each state/city) and then import those players via a text file. it'd be a mammoth job to do, but it should work. as stated above, may be a simpler way, but the text file route should work in theory.

you'd have to create a league as desired, then delete all the players and then import new players via text files to each of the teams you created .....

here's a link - in case you're not familiar with text files and how to use them to import players ...

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...ight=text+file

the hardest part i see is going through all the players and finding their home towns. i guess Baseball Reference would be a good place to start.

Good luck and if any questions, feel free to ask.
"I saw a young man leaning on his wooden crutch - He called out to me, 'Don't ask for so much' And a young woman leaning in her darkened door She cried out to me, 'Why not ask for more?' " - Leonard Cohen
"Hello darkness, my old Friend ...." - Paul Simon
Before Mays, before DiMaggio, there was Oscar Charleston.
"All the lies about Babe Ruth are true." - Waite Hoyt

Avatar is the late great Townes Van Zandt. rip.

Last edited by mitchkenn; 09-12-2018 at 11:23 AM.
mitchkenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 11:35 AM   #4
bcarrey
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchkenn View Post
there may be other ways, but after you research and find where the players were born, you could create a series of text files (one for each state/city) and then import those players via a text file. it'd be a mammoth job to do, but it should work. as stated above, may be a simpler way, but the text file route should work in theory.

you'd have to create a league as desired, then delete all the players and then import new players via text files to each of the teams you created .....

here's a link - in case you're not familiar with text files and how to use them to import players ...

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...ight=text+file

the hardest part i see is going through all the players and finding their home towns. i guess Baseball Reference would be a good place to start.

Good luck and if any questions, feel free to ask.
I believe they're on Baseball Almanac......... problem is that if I get 500+ players or whatever from NY State let's say, I would have to narrow down 25-30 of their best players which of course is basically completely subjective
Old 09-12-2018, 12:13 PM   #5
mitchkenn
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcarrey View Post
I believe they're on Baseball Almanac......... problem is that if I get 500+ players or whatever from NY State let's say, I would have to narrow down 25-30 of their best players which of course is basically completely subjective
yep. the project is doable, but it'll take a lot of subjective choices, lots of research and a LOT more time compiling text files, moving a few players (maybe) when certain cities come up short. If it's a one year project is one set of issues, but to get it to be an ongoing multi-season project makes it a lot more difficult, as in more work and organization. As you stated, it'll take a lot of subjective choices, but it's your game so make choices that you like. there isn't an OOTP police out there (that i know of) to tell you you're doing anything wrong, thank goodness!
So make it work for you and enjoy.
"I saw a young man leaning on his wooden crutch - He called out to me, 'Don't ask for so much' And a young woman leaning in her darkened door She cried out to me, 'Why not ask for more?' " - Leonard Cohen

Old 09-12-2018, 03:25 PM   #6
battists
Hall Of Famer

All-Time Hometown Teams

Aren’t the hometowns already in OOTP?

Or is that not a thing for historical?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-12-2018, 03:42 PM   #7
mitchkenn
Hall Of Famer

yes. but you have to have the game going to see them. i'd forgotten (until i read your post) to look to see if they were in the historical .csv files. They are. So you wouldn't need to look at BBref for that info. Good point battists!

however, when i tried with Libre Office, i couldn't search the .csv file by cities for some reason. unless something else works, it's still a long process of shifting through data.

Last edited by mitchkenn; 09-12-2018 at 04:33 PM.
Old 09-13-2018, 02:31 AM   #8
Sizeman21
Major Leagues

Baseball-Reference.com has a cool thing on its site where it shows the birth place and death of players by state and country. Might help you find a certain player.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/bio/
Sizeman21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 08:37 AM   #9
bcarrey
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizeman21 View Post
Baseball-Reference.com has a cool thing on its site where it shows the birth place and death of players by state and country. Might help you find a certain player.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/bio/
Thanks!! Knew that existed - I also found this too from when I referenced baseball almanac http://www.baseball-almanac.com/players/birthplace.php
Old 09-13-2018, 12:26 PM   #10
Jamee999
All Star Reserve

Beware that the hometowns in OOTP don't always come out right. In my current game, Tris Speaker is listed as being from Hubbard, OH, when he was actually from Hubbard, TX.
Jamee999 is offline   Reply With Quote