Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - New to the Game?

OOTP 19 - New to the Game? If you have basic questions about the the latest version of our game, please come here!

Old 03-18-2016, 07:00 PM   #1
Vinnyvagus01
Bat Boy

How do you play the game

There is so much detail and so many options in the game. Whilst that is totally amazing, I was thinking to myself "How do others play the game?"

I mean, do you watch/play EVERY game, or do you sim a week at a time?

I want to take in the finer details of the game, but after an hour of playing I've only played a week of the first season. It might take me many months to finish a season at this rate....

Anyway - just thought I would see how others play.
Vinnyvagus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 07:11 PM   #2
oriolesmeep
Minors (Double A)

Some play out all their games, while some sim short periods, while others sim long-term. It all depends on how you set up your league.

Personally, I sim a week at a time, only playing out important games. Week-to-week sims means that I can usually finish a season in about 8-12 hours, broken up across a few days, with the off-season taking about 2 hours.
oriolesmeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 07:05 AM   #3
monkeystyxx
Minors (Triple A)

Depends if I'm playing as a GM or as a manager (or, if both, which I current feel like doing more of ).

If playing as a GM, I usually sim to each of the pre-defined landmarks (Draft Pool Announcement, All-Star Voting, First-Year Player Draft, etc, but skipping ASG Rosters Announced). Sometimes I'll go slower if I want to check on how a particular player is doing and whether or not I need to think about replacing him/calling him up. But usually I use the Auto-Play To Event menu, stopping at each event.

If I'm playing as a manager, I usually play out at least one game of each series. If we've lost the series opener, I'll play the other games. If the opponents tie the series in game 2, I'll play game 3, etc. Basically only stepping in when we're in danger of losing series (which isn't to say that I'm any better than the AI, I just want it to feel like my fault ).

When I do play out games, I often make liberal use of the "Until RISP" button, so that I'm only making the decisions in leverage situations.

Totally different for the playoffs of course, then it's all me, all the time.
monkeystyxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 08:02 AM   #4
rasnell
Hall Of Famer

That's the beauty of this game. There are so many ways you can do it.

Two other ways: Start playing the game. At the bottom of the screen, click to sim to the 7th inning and then start playing and making the decisions. This is about the time when your starter is tired and it's time to think about going to the bullpen.

If the game is a blowout, it also allows you to simply click to sim to the end of the game and that makes each game really fast.

A second option is to go to the schedule where all teams and their games are shown. It's the icon that looks like a baseball in your sidebar tab. Find your team and click quick play instead of manage. If you sim your game first on that day's schedule, you'll see a summary at the top of the menu of who the stars of the game were. I like this for speed and to get a feel for how my players are doing.

Glad you're enjoying the game.
Charlie Root won more games for the Cubs than any pitcher (201), yet was remembered for one pitch to Babe Ruth. Find out more about the 1929 World Series in my book, "Root for the Cubs: Charlie Root and the 1929 Chicago Cubs." See the web site at www.rootforthecubs.com. The book is at http://www.amazon.com/Root-Cubs-Char...t+for+the+cubs.

Beta tester, OOTP 2007-2023 and iOOTP 2011-2014.
rasnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 08:09 AM   #5
Basebrah
Minors (Double A)

I play as GM/Manager with the current MLB setup. I'll play out every game until I'm mathematically eliminated from the playoffs then I'll quick sim the rest of the season.
Old 03-19-2016, 05:00 PM   #6
mitchkenn
Hall Of Famer

GM/Manager - start off 1901 historical, (owner comments disabled ....) (this time with historical minors checked - when they appear in 1919). i also have international complex players allowed and i keep them in that complex until they are 18-20 yr range. If no progress, i release them. i also enter manually from list i created Negro League players from the years they debuted in th NL. In past games, by the time i hit 1925-1930 i'd have a 50-50 split of fictional/historical. Now that there are real minor leaguers available in that time frame, dunno how it'll play. But the NL players will be added regardless.

i sim each day, but often do a week or two in each sitting, watching some player's stats and looking for upgrades if possible. probably will spend more time looking at draft picks and the minors this time around.
"I saw a young man leaning on his wooden crutch - He called out to me, 'Don't ask for so much' And a young woman leaning in her darkened door She cried out to me, 'Why not ask for more?' " - Leonard Cohen
"Hello darkness, my old Friend ...." - Paul Simon
Before Mays, before DiMaggio, there was Oscar Charleston.
"All the lies about Babe Ruth are true." - Waite Hoyt

Avatar is the late great Townes Van Zandt. rip.
mitchkenn is offline   Reply With Quote