Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: Online Leagues

Old 07-02-2011, 10:09 PM   #1
SSBL_Commish
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Understanding New Online League Features

All,

I am a long time OOTP Commish and we are moving our online league to OOTP12. I was excited to read about the new online league options, but after digging in to them further, they seem to be less than what I had originally thought. My specific questions:

1) Does OOTP Developments actually HOST the Online Leagues, or do I still need to secure my own FTP/Web Hosting site to house my league web page?

2) If I still need to secure my own FTP/Web Hosting site, then I was disapointed to see that the one security concern from previous versions (email and FTP info stored in online data file) is still an issue with OOTP12. Our league is in OOTP9 now and I have been not using the "automated" FTP options due to this exploit concern. I was hoping OOTP12 had this fixed to where I could use the built in online league options.

3) Is the option to create HTML reports in a mySQL friendly archive meant to work with the "built in" OOTP Online League features? This would only seem to make sense if OOTP was actually hosting the site and providing the script/MySQL server side coding. If not, do I need to create my own server side code to utilize this feature?

4) Is there an OOTP12 manual yet?

I have been searching and reading the forums and didn't see specific answers to these questions, so I apologize if they have been already answered.

Thanks!

SSBL Commish
SSBL_Commish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 12:52 AM   #2
f.montoya
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSBL_Commish View Post

1) Does OOTP Developments actually HOST the Online Leagues, or do I still need to secure my own FTP/Web Hosting site to house my league web page?
You still need to secure your own web hosting. If you join the OOOL, the team exports and updated files are transferred as patches via the OOOL database, so in that respect, you won't need to upload your league file to your server in the time consuming manner that you currently do because the league file patches are much smaller.

Quote:
2) If I still need to secure my own FTP/Web Hosting site, then I was disapointed to see that the one security concern from previous versions (email and FTP info stored in online data file) is still an issue with OOTP12. Our league is in OOTP9 now and I have been not using the "automated" FTP options due to this exploit concern. I was hoping OOTP12 had this fixed to where I could use the built in online league options.
No. That was fixed in OOTP 11. There is now a "settings" folder that keeps that info and it is never included in the day to day league files. However, you will need to make sure that you give this folder to all of your league members in order for them to load and login to the game.

Quote:
3) Is the option to create HTML reports in a mySQL friendly archive meant to work with the "built in" OOTP Online League features? This would only seem to make sense if OOTP was actually hosting the site and providing the script/MySQL server side coding. If not, do I need to create my own server side code to utilize this feature?
It all works the same way as before, only now there is a separate option to archive for mySQL database and to upload to mySQL database. You do need to create a mySQL database first before you can use this method. See the YouTube videos here for a detailed "how to" on this subject.

Quote:
4) Is there an OOTP12 manual yet?
Not a complete one anyway. Steve used to write and update those from version to version but he resigned from the team recently.

Asahi2 Baseball ex-Commissioner(Historical League Since 2004)
www.allsimbaseball.com (OOTP web hosting - Customized sites for online leagues - Sign up, Connect OOTP and Play!)
Share Your Mods - Free, unlimited and easy to upload to share your Mods instantly(free site registration required)

Last edited by f.montoya; 07-03-2011 at 12:56 AM.
f.montoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 11:09 PM   #3
SSBL_Commish
Minors (Rookie Ball)

"No. That was fixed in OOTP 11. There is now a "settings" folder that keeps that info and it is never included in the day to day league files. However, you will need to make sure that you give this folder to all of your league members in order for them to load and login to the game."

That is good to hear. If I want to run an OOOL, then am I right that I don't necessarily need to set up all of the Settings as per your YouTube video tutorial for league file up/download and exports since that is done through the new OOOL interface?

I understand I still need to make my own arrangements for the league webpage and reports.

One additional question -- and thank you for your time -- I have converted my OOTP9 league up to OOTP12. I saw previous posts saying that it's not possible to transfer my (now) OOTP12 league into an OOOL. Is that still the case, or did the latest patch address that?

Thank you again.
Old 07-06-2011, 12:12 AM   #4
f.montoya
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

That is good to hear. If I want to run an OOOL, then am I right that I don't necessarily need to set up all of the Settings as per your YouTube video tutorial for league file up/download and exports since that is done through the new OOOL interface?
You should still follow everything in the YouTube video tutorial, just to be sure that you don't miss anything. The only thing that OOOL will override in those standard settings is team exports and league file download. But yu should set it all up and make sure it works properly with your website first, BEFORE joining OOOL.

Quote:
One additional question -- and thank you for your time -- I have converted my OOTP9 league up to OOTP12. I saw previous posts saying that it's not possible to transfer my (now) OOTP12 league into an OOOL. Is that still the case, or did the latest patch address that?

Thank you again.
As long as you get all of your Online settings properly working, I don't see any reason why you can't make it an OOOL league.

In any case, it's my advice that unless you'd be willing to take part in OOOL on a testing basis, you might want to delay your entry until all, or at least most of the crucial issues are resolved. Currently, there are several potential problems that are being addressed by Andreas and beta testers.

Asahi2 Baseball ex-Commissioner(Historical League Since 2004)
www.allsimbaseball.com (OOTP web hosting - Customized sites for online leagues - Sign up, Connect OOTP and Play!)
Share Your Mods - Free, unlimited and easy to upload to share your Mods instantly(free site registration required)
f.montoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 11:00 PM   #5
SSBL_Commish
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Does the latest patch just announced address most of the main online league options? Or do you think there are still some somewhat major outstanding issues?

Thanks!
SSBL Commish
Old 09-01-2011, 10:30 PM   #6
SSBL_Commish
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Does the patch released today (12.4) resolve the main Online League issues? Or is there still another main patch coming? I seem to remember someone saying something about a big patch in October, but am wondering if that was this 12.4 one.

Thanks!
Old 09-02-2011, 01:40 AM   #7
Andreas Raht
Administrator

The problem with FTP and OOTP was that hidden network tools on the customers computer could read the FTP account info while OOTP was connecting to the server. But that was a security problem on those computers, not an OOTP problem actually. It would happen when the customer uses any FTP client.
So the best way to fix that is to have firewalls and antivir software on the computer up-to-date and install system updates when they are available.

Of course it was also a problem that the FTP info was in the league file. We fixed that in OOTP 11, which had no account info in the league file anymore, but in account_data files which are in the settings folder. Do not give this folder to the GMs, but only the account_data_gm.dat file!

In OOOL leagues, you do only need to enter the league file upload FTP data, the report upload FTP data, the email account data and the league file download URL. The league file download URL is all that the GMs will get and it does not bring any security problems. Team file import/export is done through OOOL without FTP connection.
Andreas Raht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 09:33 AM   #8
almo
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas Raht View Post
The problem with FTP and OOTP was that hidden network tools on the customers computer could read the FTP account info while OOTP was connecting to the server. But that was a security problem on those computers, not an OOTP problem actually. It would happen when the customer uses any FTP client.
So the best way to fix that is to have firewalls and antivir software on the computer up-to-date and install system updates when they are available.

Of course it was also a problem that the FTP info was in the league file. We fixed that in OOTP 11, which had no account info in the league file anymore, but in account_data files which are in the settings folder. Do not give this folder to the GMs, but only the account_data_gm.dat file!

In OOOL leagues, you do only need to enter the league file upload FTP data, the report upload FTP data, the email account data and the league file download URL. The league file download URL is all that the GMs will get and it does not bring any security problems. Team file import/export is done through OOOL without FTP connection.
Andres...is there documentation on what needs to be done from a commish perspective to maintain a league versus what has been done before?
almo is offline   Reply With Quote