Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > Perfect Team
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Perfect Team Perfect Team 2.0 - The online revolution continues! Battle thousands of PT managers from all over the world and become a legend.

Old 07-30-2019, 06:31 AM   #1
Splitter24
Hall Of Famer

The Ryan Borucki Mystery

On my FTP Pack Only team, I have a tendency to hoard guys who are close to breaking into the next tier of pricing to try and see if I can earn a little more PP. Lots of multiples of Irons who are rated 57-59. If they break above 60, I sell them off unless it seems they are some hot prospect or something. So when I logged in last night, I saw that Ryan Borucki had moved up to Bronze. I wasn't familiar with him, so I went and looked at his stats and was totally flummoxed. He jumped 8 points this week from a 57 to a 65. I had 4 extra Boruckis, so was happy to quick sell them. Here's his season stat line:

2 starts, 6.2 IP, 15 Hits, 6 BB, 6 K, 2 HRA

Both of those starts would've been caught in the most recent update. This guy was decent last year. If his starting rating was based on a ZIPS projection, how did that weekly performance cause him to be one of the biggest positive movers in PT? Even if he was a 40, there's no way those results should've moved him up that far.

Currently Reading: The Sympathizer by Viet Thanh Nguyen

"Well, the game is afoot. I’ll take anal bum cover for 7,000." - "Sean Connery" SNL Celebrity Jeopardy

R.I.P. Tommy Holmes 1917-2008
Splitter24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 08:03 AM   #2
Bunktown Ballers
All Star Starter

Infractions: 0/1 (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitter24 View Post
On my FTP Pack Only team, I have a tendency to hoard guys who are close to breaking into the next tier of pricing to try and see if I can earn a little more PP. Lots of multiples of Irons who are rated 57-59. If they break above 60, I sell them off unless it seems they are some hot prospect or something. So when I logged in last night, I saw that Ryan Borucki had moved up to Bronze. I wasn't familiar with him, so I went and looked at his stats and was totally flummoxed. He jumped 8 points this week from a 57 to a 65. I had 4 extra Boruckis, so was happy to quick sell them. Here's his season stat line:

2 starts, 6.2 IP, 15 Hits, 6 BB, 6 K, 2 HRA

Both of those starts would've been caught in the most recent update. This guy was decent last year. If his starting rating was based on a ZIPS projection, how did that weekly performance cause him to be one of the biggest positive movers in PT? Even if he was a 40, there's no way those results should've moved him up that far.

Hey I'm still dumbfounded on how Jose Inglesis is rated above Jose Abreu, Yoan Moncada & Tim Anderson as is James McCann rated above them also...lol ratings dont matter
Bunktown Ballers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 08:10 AM   #3
DawnBTVS
Major Leagues

I feel like ZIPS tends to get too heavily aimed at in regards to the ratings especially at the start of the season. I think some guys start off rated so low that even if they get the legitimate boost they deserve based on in-season performance, they only climb from say an 63 to an 78 tops despite a Cy Young or MVP Caliber year.

Also not that big a fan of over weighing FIP (even if, in theory it should balance outlier seasons) as it seems to hurt a pitcher who doesn't have much control over how good the defense is behind him. In real life: Mike Minor has a 169 ERA+ and 3.00 ERA but a bad 4.20 FIP whereas Marcus Stroman has a 153 ERA+ and 2.96 ERA but a much better 3.53 FIP (prior to the trade to the Mets). Yet if you looked at WAR, Minor is worth a full 2.7 runs more at 5.9 against Stroman's 3.2 but Stroman would probably be better rated by ZIPS.

Last edited by DawnBTVS; 07-30-2019 at 08:14 AM.
DawnBTVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 08:33 AM   #4
BigRed75
Hall Of Famer

The Borucki Mystery sounds like a Robert Ludlum novel...

SPTT team

Was not a Snag fan...until I saw the fallout once he was gone and realized what a good job he was actually doing. - Ty Cobb
BigRed75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 08:44 AM   #5
Splitter24
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunktown Ballers View Post
Hey I'm still dumbfounded on how Jose Inglesis is rated above Jose Abreu, Yoan Moncada & Tim Anderson as is James McCann rated above them also...lol ratings dont matter
I'm not making a point as to which player should be rated in regards to others. And ratings do matter, contrary to your repeated posts.

I'm just wondering how this one specific player took a substantial (for PT) leap forward after a week where he got lit up like a Christmas tree.

Currently Reading: The Sympathizer by Viet Thanh Nguyen

"Well, the game is afoot. I’ll take anal bum cover for 7,000." - "Sean Connery" SNL Celebrity Jeopardy

R.I.P. Tommy Holmes 1917-2008
Splitter24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 10:04 AM   #6
Charlatan
All Star Starter

The projection said he'd really suck, and he only moderately sucked, so he must have improved.

That's all I got.
Charlatan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 11:42 AM   #7
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunktown Ballers View Post
lol ratings dont matter
Ratings DO matter. Names don't matter.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 01:14 PM   #8
Dogberry99
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnBTVS View Post
I feel like ZIPS tends to get too heavily aimed at in regards to the ratings especially at the start of the season. I think some guys start off rated so low that even if they get the legitimate boost they deserve based on in-season performance, they only climb from say an 63 to an 78 tops despite a Cy Young or MVP Caliber year.
For whatever it might be worth, Lance Lynn has increased from an initial 64 to reach 87. It is probably likely that the nature of their in season performance can affect how significant a boost they get. Not all Cy Young and MVP candidates perform in the precise ways this game rewards, and this game rewards some players for performing in ways that do not merit Cy Young or MVP candidacies.

Primary Team

Collection Rewards (Cards & Packs) F2P Theme Team

Movers F2P Theme and Adam Schlesinger Memorial Team
Dogberry99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 07:50 AM   #9
webdox
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRed75 View Post
The Borucki Mystery sounds like a Robert Ludlum novel...
LOL good one! Now I just woke up, saw it, misread the title, and thought the thread was going to be about a bunch of dude standing in a circle...
webdox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 11:05 AM   #10
jeffw3000
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRed75 View Post
The Borucki Mystery sounds like a Robert Lulum novel...
Perhaps Ryan Borucki's real name is David Webb, and there is a hidden reason why someone at OOTPD wants him to be much more than just an Iron.
jeffw3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 11:11 AM   #11
CrazyWR
All Star Reserve

Not David Webb, it is John Michael Kane, c'mon
CrazyWR is offline   Reply With Quote