Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > Perfect Team

Perfect Team Perfect Team 2.0 - The online revolution continues! Battle thousands of PT managers from all over the world and become a legend.

Old 07-20-2019, 04:46 PM   #21
moalkha
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMGPuppies View Post
Am trying an all-righty team. No bueno.
My Great Lake Squirrels have been an all-righty team from the start, and I have had plenty of success.

moalkha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 05:11 PM   #22
OMGPuppies
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by moalkha View Post
My Great Lake Squirrels have been an all-righty team from the start, and I have had plenty of success.
What's your lineup?

OMGPuppies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 05:23 PM   #23
stl jason
Hall Of Famer

I try to play with the individual strategy sliders.... if they are top notch base-running instincts, then they get a more aggressive setting (and vice versa).... poor bunting/sacrifice ratings, crank those down to never.... etc...

so far this season my bunch ranks 1st in runs scored (732) and 1st in baserunning (+40.6)
stl jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 03:22 AM   #24
moalkha
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
What's your lineup?

Here we go. A good one but not even close to some of the mega whales around.
Attached Images
Image Image 

moalkha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 04:08 AM   #25
OMGPuppies
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by moalkha View Post
Here we go. A good one but not even close to some of the mega whales around.
That's a real solid team. I only have on of your hitters, Pudge.

Old 07-21-2019, 09:12 AM   #26
Bunktown Ballers
All Star Starter

Infractions: 0/1 (2)
Too wrap it all up

With all the different replies this thread is getting mean that nobody really knows. Because what happens against 1 team doesn't mean it'd happen against all teams. Using same setting I can clobber Scherzer one game & against same team the next day get shutout with 2-3 hits by Tyler Anderson the next day. Or vice versa. My only bit of advice is try to go with what works the best, but problem with that is what works 1 game might not work for the next 4-5 games. POT LUCK
Bunktown Ballers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 10:21 AM   #27
stl jason
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunktown Ballers View Post
With all the different replies this thread is getting mean that nobody really knows. Because what happens against 1 team doesn't mean it'd happen against all teams. Using same setting I can clobber Scherzer one game & against same team the next day get shutout with 2-3 hits by Tyler Anderson the next day. Or vice versa. My only bit of advice is try to go with what works the best, but problem with that is what works 1 game might not work for the next 4-5 games. POT LUCK
that's basically it..... just like real life which is why Scherzer can pitch against Miami one game (June 25) go 8 innings, give up 5 hits and 1 run; but on April 20 against the same team, only go 5.1 innings, give up 11 hits and 7 runs.
stl jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 12:28 PM   #28
justpatrick
Major Leagues

Quote:
I got pretty much the same notion from this thread, and it actually makes me feel better.
And for the record, the last time I tailored my park for an all-lefty low power team I had a home winning percentage of just a hair over .400 with a .550 road percentage. The only thing we know is that you never know.

justpatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 02:25 AM   #29
One Great Matrix
All Star Starter

I hadn't thought of this but there was a team that was just obnoxious with stealing bases I played against. They attempted an AVERAGE of 4 (3+) steals a game...ended up getting thrown out (CS) about 163 times on the season (1x per game) but ended up with about 370-375 successful swipes.

I threw them out sometimes but to have the guys take off during every AB was just...disruptive, and you'll almost always be able to steal (with at least a little thought put into it) at at least 60% even in a league of good catchers.
So if 40% is a great OBP then why not try turning a single into a double, double into a triple, even if you get thrown out.

Made me feel like it was a smart gamble, maybe, either way to steal about as often as possible.

And you certainly don't need that guy standing on 1st if possible in terms of the GIDPs (grounding into double plays).

Last edited by One Great Matrix; 07-22-2019 at 02:35 AM.
One Great Matrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 03:50 AM   #30
Goliathus
Major Leagues

Quote:

And that's good. If there's one proven way to do something, then everyone will do that and it gets boring. Also, this is a sim game so anything can happen, but the core idea is to give yourself the best odds. It's like poker or card games, no one wins forever but the best wins more than others. One can make the best decisions and still lose, but that doesn't discredit the best decisions that have made.
Goliathus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 05:49 AM   #31
One Great Matrix
All Star Starter

It's nice to share but if we all share and there's an element of poker/chess to managing & general managing then things could indeed get boring if too many don't maintain a poker face...(long as they're cooperating when it comes to rules.)

"You can learn a lot just by observing."

This is a pretty random observation itself. Obviously sometimes, we need to & it's great to help each other except if it makes strategies a team make-ups a bit monotonous or repetitive, when you can always go about it in your own way & end up about where you belong anyway.

Last edited by One Great Matrix; 07-22-2019 at 09:33 AM.
Old 07-22-2019, 04:02 PM   #32
One Great Matrix
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goliathus View Post
And that's good. If there's one proven way to do something, then everyone will do that and it gets boring. Also, this is a sim game so anything can happen, but the core idea is to give yourself the best odds. It's like poker or card games, no one wins forever but the best wins more than others. One can make the best decisions and still lose, but that doesn't discredit the best decisions that have made.
That's another fine observation.

Old 07-22-2019, 04:27 PM   #33
QuantaCondor
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Am trying an all-righty team. No bueno.
I think righty is much harder to make work, but also much harder to take down once it gets going since the RvR matchup is a lot more favored for the hitter than LvL. You can't just set max gap, max vR con, and min everything else like you see with successful lefty teams. What's your gap vs. pow split look like? Platoons? How do you run suppress other teams even in a pro-R park which lots of other teams will benefit from?

I'm not saying my righty team answers these questions, but they certainly need answers.

F2P + restrictions. First F2P winner of PT21 Perfect League

F2P + restrictions. New team -> PT title in 8 weeks
QuantaCondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 06:38 PM   #34
SpacePope
Minors (Single A)

Another vote for max'ing for doubles and triples. You likely have a strong OF and hitters with good GP and not a lot of POW, so I think max'ing gap and minimizing HRs is the way to go.

Are you hitting into a lot of double plays?

Your team probably isn't actually that fast, and although they're different in the details your hitters probably share a pretty similar profile (GP > BABIP > Eye & Avoid K > POW). Unfortunately, there aren't really high OBP options, and that would really play to your strength.

I'd experiment with the lead off spot rather than just giving it to Cool Papa Bell (not assuming you are though). It's easy to beat his defense, he's not great on getting on base, and there are plenty of people that could use him as a pinch runner. John O'Neil v L and Pete Hill v R are interesting lead off choices imo.

I'd also manically tweak the hit and run sliders for each player.
SpacePope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 06:46 PM   #35
OMGPuppies
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantaCondor View Post
I think righty is much harder to make work, but also much harder to take down once it gets going since the RvR matchup is a lot more favored for the hitter than LvL. You can't just set max gap, max vR con, and min everything else like you see with successful lefty teams. What's your gap vs. pow split look like? Platoons? How do you run suppress other teams even in a pro-R park which lots of other teams will benefit from?

I'm not saying my righty team answers these questions, but they certainly need answers.
That is exactly what my sliders are set at. Sigh. Don't use platoons with that team. That team uses a lot of gb pitchers.

Old 07-23-2019, 04:01 PM   #36
bailey
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Great Matrix View Post
I hadn't thought of this but there was a team that was just obnoxious with stealing bases I played against. They attempted an AVERAGE of 4 (3+) steals a game...ended up getting thrown out (CS) about 163 times on the season (1x per game) but ended up with about 370-375 successful swipes.

I threw them out sometimes but to have the guys take off during every AB was just...disruptive, and you'll almost always be able to steal (with at least a little thought put into it) at at least 60% even in a league of good catchers.
So if 40% is a great OBP then why not try turning a single into a double, double into a triple, even if you get thrown out.

Made me feel like it was a smart gamble, maybe, either way to steal about as often as possible.

And you certainly don't need that guy standing on 1st if possible in terms of the GIDPs (grounding into double plays).
According to what I've read, mathematically you need an 80% success rate in stealing bases just to break even over not stealing. That's in real life. It's hard to quantify in a simulation game, that is pre-determining the outcome, (over a whole season's worth of stats, not individual plays)

Name:  stolen.PNG
Views: 336
Size:  347.3 KB

The Newton Dragons overrun this list, but can't get out of iron, while the Hong Kong Nationals routinely steal over 500 bases per season in Perfect Leagues, but there is no way to know % success.

bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 07:25 PM   #37
Goliathus
Major Leagues

You just need one of the HK Nationals leaguemates to check on his stats.
Goliathus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 04:05 AM   #38
One Great Matrix
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailey View Post
According to what I've read, mathematically you need an 80% success rate in stealing bases just to break even over not stealing. That's in real life. It's hard to quantify in a simulation game, that is pre-determining the outcome, (over a whole season's worth of stats, not individual plays)

Attachment 637763

The Newton Dragons overrun this list, but can't get out of iron, while the Hong Kong Nationals routinely steal over 500 bases per season in Perfect Leagues, but there is no way to know % success.
Carlos Beltran made sure to have an 80%+ success rate and had 165 less stolen bases for it at least... Rickey Henderson was 80%+ naturally in his prime but not much better than that at any point. If Rickey was the only successful base stealer, you know?
I mean sometimes what you read can make a ton of sense but if you stick to 80%+ to rigidly you may not be able to steal a key base in a 1-run game, etc. …
I would say you are failing if you aren't succeeding at a 66%+ rate. That's just...a feeling but a true one. Succeeding if you steal a ton and keep it generally at 2 of 3 or better.

This is what happened. I played a team last season and part of what they did to beat me was steal ALL the time. When I checked their stats at the end of the season they were what they were. Like I noticed the stealing before I got into %s. Their 2 out of 3 with a total of 2 per game was successful at least against me. I'm sure they ran themselves out of at least a few games during the season or maybe even in the playoffs. It does cost you an out and a baserunner but I'm not sure following a strict statistical guide is realistic if you have another idea. If you don't, I'd shoot for 70%, and almost a SB a game at least.

Old 07-28-2019, 04:40 PM   #39
DawnBTVS
Major Leagues

Any update from Cheesehead? Were you successful or continued to struggle?
Old 02-26-2020, 01:29 PM   #40
One Great Matrix
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnBTVS View Post
Some other things to try out...

#1: Bunch your Gap/Power hitters towards the top of the lineup as they'll be generating the most at-bats. One thing I love doing in non-PT games is putting my two best Gap Hitters as my leadoff and #2 hitters then following up with the prototype big bopper types. May be a bit tougher for a Contact/Speed squad but I think it's still potentially do-able.

#2: Balance your lineup. If you have two guys who can get on-base well (high contact, high eye) then it makes sense to follow them up with a high contact, avoid K hitter who can put the ball in play and potentially drive them in if they are both on base. Same for following two players who can get on base with a high gap guy who can score 1-2 RBI with a well hit double or triple.
That sounds like some solid advice. It's really some tricky business, trying to predict, you wind up with boxscores normally that aren't exactly what you expected but I guess if you're up to it, & do a fine enough job, you can or could field an almost ideal lineup order for your 8 position players & DH.

Just kinda strikes me as funny. Maybe it has something to do with the nature of baseball. And me.