Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - New to the Game?

OOTP 14 - New to the Game? If you have basic questions about the game, please come here!

Old 04-16-2013, 12:56 AM   #1
darrenr1
Bat Boy

Help Out an Old OOTP Gamer

Hello fellow OOTP14 gamers. I purchased one of the first OOTP and then havent purchased them in a long while. I needed help with how to set up my league the way i want and how i played it years ago. What i did many years ago was to have real live historical players and teams in a custom league, but had each player based upon his best stats of his career determined by me. For example, I had the 27 yankees and ty cobb on the team, for ruth and cobb i picked their best season. the 86 mets were another team i used, the 55 dodgers, i even had an NL Greats, AL Greats, Phillies Greats, etc. I would get each player from that old lehman's database. I dont know how to import each player onto a team.. I would like to start with blank teams and put historical players on each team. can this be done?? when i see the historical option it doesnt even let you customize the divisions, but when i see fictional league it says that the players are from the player genrator. is it no longer possible to do what i wanted to do?
darrenr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:33 AM   #2
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Yes, you can do what you want.

Create a new historical league starting in the desired season.

Once your league is created, go to the FA page and here you can import any historical player you want. You need his lahman id, which can be found among other places, at bbref.

Once a player is in your league, right click on his name and select "edit". On that tab you can assign them to any team you want. You can even edit their contract if you like.

To change your league structure, go to league setup, edit structure. This can only be done during the pre-season.

DON'T FORGET - if you edit your league structure in any way, shape, or form, GENERATE/IMPORT A NEW SCHEDULE. Otherwise you'll start simming and your schedule will be a shambles.
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:04 AM   #3
darrenr1
Bat Boy

thanks. for your quick reply so to start off, even though i am going to be using historical players, would i be creating a fictional league?? also i remember in the old days when we had to download the lehmann database separately, do we still have to do that or is that included in the historical players? sorry for all the stupid questions i feel like i have been out of the ootp for soo long
Old 04-16-2013, 11:20 AM   #4
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Not sure exactly what you're trying to accomplish, but let me see if I can help.

A couple things to point out first

OOTP now has the ability to import entire historical teams. So you could bring in the 27 Yankees, 84 Tigers, 75 Reds, etc etc and create a league like that.

You can also, I think this is what you want, create an historical league in the desired year. This gives you the teams with the players they had at that time.

During import you'll be given an option for basing ratings off remaining career, peak years, or full (I believe those are the 3 choices). This will help determine what level they are at when imported.

You can use "recalc" to have players follow closely along their real life path/stats. Of course a long term injury can definitely effect that, but it's pretty accurate.

Lahman is built into OOTP. You import historical teams in the legue setup, edit league structure function.

Individual players can be imported on the League FA page.

One VERY important thing to remember - ANYTIME you mess with your league structure, BE SURE to CREATE a NEW Schedule. I like to emphasize that because so many people forget that step, then when their season starts the schedule is all messed up.

Hope this gets you started at least, feel free to post any further questions here.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:05 PM   #5
darrenr1
Bat Boy

thanks again- another question

thanks again. it sounds like there is hope for what i want to do. i dont know if i am explaining it correctly but what i did is modified a bunch of teams in my league, say the 1927 yankees. it has all the greats on the i did modify them to add ty cobb, eddie plank, etc, but the other thing i did way back in the older ootps was take EACH player on every team, and used their best season in their life (as determined by me) to be the stats to be modeled off. way back for the lehman database i remember having to import the player according to a particular year. It may sound weird or dumb how i play, but think of it like Field of Dreams all the players coming back. In my league all the great are in their prime.

So now that i am inspired by your kindly advice and want to press on, my followup question is..shouldnt i go and create a fictional league and is there a way to import the real players into the fictional league?? Last night i was looking at the historal leagues but i noticed i wasnt allowed to change the divisions. What i would love to do if possible is this: start with a blank league, and have blank teams. Create the 27 yankees, 55 dodgers, 1915 red sox, etc by import each player (at their best season) onto their respective teams. is that possible? thanks again
Old 04-16-2013, 07:22 PM   #6
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Ok, I understand now.

Yes, you can still import individual players from any real year. If you want Cobb from 1910, you can have him, or 1915, whatever year.

Go to the league FA screen, import historical player. Those steps really haven't changed, even from way back in 6.5 During import you'll be given the option which year to import from. OOTP still uses the lahman id, that hasn't changed either. BB Ref is one place to get the lahman id as I'm sure you're aware. So that should be easy for you.

You can import historical players into fictional or real or mixed, any league at you have.

As for divisions, you can change them. In league setup, there's an option to "edit league structure". Do it in there. Just remember what I said earlier about generating the new schedule after you edit the structure.

Good luck and let us know how you're making out.
Old 04-18-2013, 11:08 AM   #7
darrenr1
Bat Boy

thanks

I started making progress yesterday with my set up. i set up a blank fictional league, have the teams in place. i am going to try the import historical players today, which i havent done in ages. Also i did this years back but dont remember all the procedures for saving the stadiums...i wanted to have the different old stadiums to play in, the polo grounds, ebbetts, shibe, seals stadium, etc, and i have the old gambo stadium set. do i have to save the stadiums i want to use anyplace in the oopt folder? another question off the stadium subject. i never got into the facegen. if i understand it correctly, someone can facegen a player or use a picture of them??? for babe ruth, ty cobb, jackie robinson, etc the guys in my league, i want to use their pictures, is that sometthing challenging to do? even with the older ootps i havent tried the facegen/picture stuff

thanks for all your help. like i said you put me in the right direction.
Old 04-18-2013, 11:55 AM   #8
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Can't help you with stadiums, I just use the defaults myself.

For pictures, in league setup, Under "Player & Picture" options, top right, you will see some options.

Load Player Pictures automatically

Load photofit (facegen) files automatically.

Uncheck the photofit/facegen option.

Make sure you have real players pictures installed (you can download these using the in game "Add-Ons Central".

The game will look for real pictures first, and only use facegen if it doesn't find any.
Old 04-18-2013, 06:33 PM   #9
Bigrod
OOTP Stats Master

Real photos need to be put in the game's main Photos folder.
The best setting to set to use those is to go to Preferences. You can access it when you first start the game or In game by clicking the Game tab on the top menu and selecting Preferences. Once there click the Facegen tab and set the last option to Search for photo first. That'll force the game to use real pics before anything else. When changing anything in Preferences , you need to restart the game for changes to take effect.

Facegens...
If you want to use those, download the Historical facegen pack from Add-Ons Central. When the download completes, click the install button and they will be auto installed to the game's fg_files folder. Don't change any settings in Preferences for these as the game auto defaults to use Facegen.

Ballpark images need to be in the game's main ballparks folder.
To use your older images in the game, you will need to manually import each and everyone for each team.
Once you get those all imported, I highly suggest you click the import/export button on the bottom right of the edit ballparks page and select export all ballparks. This will create .prk files and save them and your ballparks pics you manually imported to the saved game's import_export folder..
Once you do that, backup the files immediately and save them some place safe. Now if you ever want to create a new game and use those same ballpark images, all you need to do is go to any team's setup page and click the edit ballparks tab, on that screen click the import/export button and select auto import all ballparks. Navigate to your folder where you saved the .prk files and pics, (everything is grayed out and that's normal) just click select and all your ballpark pics and settings will auto import. You won't have to manually load them again.
Hope this helps

Last edited by Bigrod; 04-18-2013 at 06:43 PM.
Bigrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 11:03 PM   #10
darrenr1
Bat Boy

quick help

i have the player id's when i click on import historical player it says failed. do i have to find where all the historical player information is saved??
Old 04-19-2013, 11:28 PM   #11
darrenr1
Bat Boy

thanks i found the data base and adding my players!!!!

with my stadiums and any face pics do i save them anyplace special or just stadiums into the ballparks folder?
Old 04-20-2013, 01:12 AM   #12
Bigrod
OOTP Stats Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrenr1 View Post
thanks i found the data base and adding my players!!!!

with my stadiums and any face pics do i save them anyplace special or just stadiums into the ballparks folder?
Stadiums in Your ballparks folder.
Pics:
If they are real pics-put them in the photos folder
If they are .fg files (Facegen)- put them in the fg_files folder
Bigrod is offline   Reply With Quote