Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > Perfect Team

Perfect Team Perfect Team 2.0 - The online revolution continues! Battle thousands of PT managers from all over the world and become a legend.

Old 07-14-2019, 01:26 PM   #1
orin2
Minors (Double A)

Wild Card Advantage

Am I the only one who is SO sick of the WC team winning over far superior teams all the time? This isn't just me either. I have a number of friends who play and they continual have some of the best teams, make the playoffs, and then get swept by the WC. I just had my 112 win team lose AGAIN to the WC in a sweep. I hadn't lost three games in a row all season. My ace won the Triple Crown in pitching and got shelled. Losing happens but when it happens over and over in such a way where it becomes a joke, it not ok. There is a programming error in this simulation and it needs to be fixed.
orin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 01:31 PM   #2
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

There is a programming error in people's heads that needs fixing. Just because you didn't lose three in a row all season didn't mean it was impossible to lose three in a row now. And I heard that most wild card teams are not your average 58-win punching bags.

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.
Westheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 01:33 PM   #3
orin2
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westheim View Post
There is a programming error in people's heads that needs fixing. Just because you didn't lose three in a row all season didn't mean it was impossible to lose three in a row now. And I heard that most wild card teams are not your average 58-win punching bags.
No, that isn't what I am saying. I am talking about the history of the playoffs. Of course, the first person, you, think I am overreacting and says something inane. Congrats. I'm referencing years of playoff observations. I'm referencing my friends' experiences, which mirror my own. I'm glad you got to make yourself feel superior by making your reply.

Last edited by TC Dale; 07-15-2019 at 01:48 AM. Reason: Edited for content and clarification.
Old 07-14-2019, 01:48 PM   #4
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

I will be the second to say that you are over-reacting. A three-game losing streak to a weaker team happens all the time in real baseball, regular OOTP, and now Perfect Team. It is not an indication of a programming error or problem.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 01:55 PM   #5
One Great Matrix
All Star Starter

Funny, I won 96 and was swept by a team that won 110.

And during the year I went 2-0 vs. a team that was 96-18 at the time.

You have numbers in both columns, right?
N even If you didn't, it's bound to happen in baseball at some time.

There...is no argument here, just play, K?
One Great Matrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 01:57 PM   #6
Ty Cobb
Hall Of Famer

You should have a little more respect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orin2 View Post
No, moron, that isn't what I am saying. I am talking about the history of the playoffs. Of course, the first person, you, think I am overreacting and says something inane. Congrats. I'm referencing years of playoff observations. I'm referencing my friends' experiences, which mirror my own. I'm glad you got to make yourself feel superior by making your reply. Please take yourself elsewhere. Troll.
A healthy dose of maturity might help you more than playground name calling. Clearly, if the WC team won...they were superior in the time frame of the series.

At the least, you owe Westheim an apology for your childish attack. You lost. Get over it. It's a game.

“What’s the most you ever lost on a coin toss?”

“Everyone is an atheist until Templars begin marching in the rain.”
Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.
Society's tolerance for violent criminals is dumbfounding.
"Alinsky works for me now."
Ty Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 02:01 PM   #7
orin2
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcin View Post
I will be the second to say that you are over-reacting. A three-game losing streak to a weaker team happens all the time in real baseball, regular OOTP, and now Perfect Team. It is not an indication of a programming error or problem.
It would be if this wasn't a rampant occurrence. I wouldn't be posting if it were here or there. This has been the case in both v19 and v20. It happens all the time. This isn't even the worst experience. If it were only this time, yes I would chalk it up to simply bad luck.
Old 07-14-2019, 02:12 PM   #8
old timer
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
It would be if this wasn't a rampant occurrence. I wouldn't be posting if it were here or there. This has been the case in both v19 and v20. It happens all the time. This isn't even the worst experience. If it were only this time, yes I would chalk it up to simply bad luck.

No, it doesn't happen all the time. Your experiences and your friends experiences are a very small sample and are NOT representative. My Raccoons, for example, have averaged 116 W at the perfect level for 9 seasons and we've never had this happen, though we did come close to losing a division series to an 80 W team once (we won, 3-2).

Based only on my observations, the most dominant teams usually win against significantly weaker teams, but like you, I have no real data to back this up - just observations.
Old 07-14-2019, 02:51 PM   #9
One Great Matrix
All Star Starter

OK...you're not the only one.

Just please check the message boards before you post because you would have probably found another post complaining of the same thing...a team wins 110+ games in multiple seasons, they clearly have constructed at least a more talented regular season team, but they lose to very good teams in the playoffs a lot of times, but go ahead & share how you are so sick like we're supposed to relate ...Kind of hard when we haven't met and couldn't/wouldn't argue with the results when they go the other way, like when you look at this other team, do you reallly think, in a game of baseball, when you look at the team that beat you: I really SHOULD be winning 15-1 or there is something wrong? Look at the team you lost to again & give them some credit. They beat you 3 times. Give them credit, and you might see there's nothing wrong with the programming.

I won a game in Perfects with a card, pitcher with an overall value of 60. Why? Because he was a World Series-winning All-Star talent & a professional, not an automatic loss.

Old 07-14-2019, 03:32 PM   #10
Comte
Bat Boy

I am a wildcard team that moved on to the division series and just got wrecked. So where's my magic championship
Comte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 03:59 PM   #11
daves
Hall Of Famer

Looking at the history of MLB since introducing the wildcard, what percentage of WS champions actually had the best record during the regular season? 33%? 25%?

Also, in real mlb, how many wildcards won a playoff series? 50%? 40%?

Before overreacting to losing with the Uber whale teams lets just look at the history and realize the best record or team does not always win. I too, had won 117 games and was swept by an 87 win team last season. In the playoffs anything goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

daves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 04:20 PM   #12
QuantaCondor
All Star Reserve

Consider that frequently, a WC team isn't the 4th or 5th best team in the conference. Sometimes a WC team is the 2nd best team in the entire league, and frequently they're better than the worst divisional winner in the conference. If a WC team made the playoffs despite another team winning their division, then it means that they had to fight against a ton of games against a strong opponent, so their record is probably lower than it might be otherwise. Also, if your team is losing a lot in the playoffs, you should maybe look at your team. Does your pitching match up well? Park settings? Do opposing pitchers roll more lefties in the playoffs as compared to the regular season?

Also consider that some managers don't touch their teams all week, then do managing to specifically counter their playoff matchups when they get there. Are you doing the same?

To me, every time I hear these threads where people complain about losing early in the playoffs for 10 years in a row in the first round and how that can't be random chance, etc., I'm inclined to agree with them (assuming their complaints are true and not exaggerated). The statistics indicate that they are probably a below average playoff manager, or their team composition has a below average winning percentage against other playoff teams.

F2P + restrictions. First F2P winner of PT21 Perfect League

F2P + restrictions. New team -> PT title in 8 weeks

Last edited by QuantaCondor; 07-14-2019 at 04:22 PM.
QuantaCondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 04:47 PM   #13
Josquin
Minors (Triple A)

Instead of anecdotal nonsense, best way to approach this would be to look at a significant sample of playoff results and see if the winning percentage for wild card teams is higher than it should be based on their regular season performance against the same teams. Three series worth of data is just a statistical blip.
Old 07-14-2019, 04:50 PM   #14
One Great Matrix
All Star Starter

True, you get more detail-oriented because you can't load your team up as easily in some cases.

Plus the 1 and 3 game series...I know 1 doesn't always apply to teams that win 75% of their games but it can.

Let's go to the hitter analogy. If a team has a .750 winning pct. (120-40, roughly), then going 0-3 is a .250 hitter going 3-for-3 odds-wise. That's the extreme. To lose, you only have to go 3-for-5. Shouldn't happen too often but there's a pretty poor pitcher on the mound. (This whole analogy is inverted.) (Good team-->Poor pitcher)

Old 07-14-2019, 04:52 PM   #15
PocketsAintFull
All Star Starter

I imagine it might happen slightly more in PT than real-life, due to the lack of morale or chemistry system. It's most likely just luck. Bad luck.

I say that having been on the rough end recently too
Old 07-14-2019, 05:07 PM   #16
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

They publish the playoff results of every single league every season. How about parse through that data and let us know what you find out of the entire sample instead of crying like a child with your cool stories
dkgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 06:32 PM   #17
Kumar
Minors (Single A)

I just got swept by a team that won 108 games in the year, versus me, the wild card team with 90 wins. Your argument is trash and you should maybe just get over the fact that luck plays a role in this game...
Kumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 07:08 PM   #18
daves
Hall Of Famer

Out of the 5 leagues that I am in between 1.0 and 2.0, there were 3 wild card teams that beat the top seed and 7 top seeds beat the wild card. 70% success rate is not bad.

Anybody else have similar stats to compare?

daves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 09:11 PM   #19
Goliathus
Major Leagues

Quote:
Quote:
No, moron, that isn't what I am saying. I am talking about the history of the playoffs. Of course, the first person, you, think I am overreacting and says something inane. Congrats. I'm referencing years of playoff observations. I'm referencing my friends' experiences, which mirror my own. I'm glad you got to make yourself feel superior by making your reply. Please take yourself elsewhere. Troll.
Instead of basing your claim on observation - yours, your friends or otherwise - maybe you should consider spending the time to compile a concrete stat-based result from the stickied Perfect Team League Playoff Results. Just 1 season is more than enough data but if you want to flip through the entire history of playoffs, it's right there too.

And before you ask why you should be the one doing the work, I will answer right away: You are the one not happy about it and believe there's a programming error, not me or others.

Alternatively, you can try to control your win rate so you are in the wild card every season. That way if you win the WC game, you have practically win the entire playoff unless the other WC team makes the final. Then it's a duel of the massive WC buff.

Last edited by Goliathus; 07-14-2019 at 09:15 PM.
Goliathus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 09:39 PM   #20
One Great Matrix
All Star Starter

Seems it's rather frustrating maybe to win upwards of 110-115, 120 games and lose that best-of-5 Wild Card, because it's rather obvious it doesn't happen a whole lot from what I'm looking at, & yet these posts pop up about losing the best-of-5 series after winning so many regular season games.