Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Title Bout Championship Boxing > TBCB General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

TBCB General Discussions Talk about the new boxing sim, Title Bout.

Old 07-20-2018, 06:03 PM   #1
zyberianwarrior
All Star Starter

Discussion time Top 26 fighters

http://newarena.com/boxing/ranked-th...-time//?amxt=0 Some I would question where they are at others not
zyberianwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 12:08 PM   #2
IceTea
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zyberianwarrior View Post
http://newarena.com/boxing/ranked-th...-time//?amxt=0 Some I would question where they are at others not
Hopkins at #25 ahead of Chavez was enough for me to look no further. Hopkins isn't a top 25 all-time fighter.
IceTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 12:20 PM   #3
Cap
Hall Of Famer

Was that top 25 in no particular order.....?

Cap
Old 07-21-2018, 06:44 PM   #4
IceTea
Hall Of Famer

I only saw #26 Chavez and #25 Hopkins and saw all I needed to see.
Old 07-21-2018, 06:51 PM   #5
popimorenito
Minors (Rookie Ball)

No Larry Holmes? No Larry Holmes in a Top 26 List of ALL TIME... smh...
popimorenito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 07:51 PM   #6
bob_bask
Hall Of Famer

As bad as it sounds I'm interested now. Can someone post up list please, as that site doesn't allow access from Europe...

"I occasionally agreed to carry an opponent, almost always in what is known as a tune-up fight. I never considered it morally wrong as long as I was winning the fight. I was never a killer, like some fighters. I never enjoyed knocking out a guy who I knew had no chance to beat me." Sugar Ray Robinson
bob_bask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 09:48 AM   #7
zyberianwarrior
All Star Starter

For you Bob

26. Julio César Chávez
25. Bernard Hopkins
24. Ezzard Charles
23. Manny Pacquiao
22. Joe Frazier (low?)
21. Marvin Hagler
20. George Foreman
19. Willie Pep (low at least in my unis)
18. Archie Moore
17. Mike Tyson (would be higher if King didn't get his claws into him)
16. Jack Dempsey
15. Roy Jones Jr.
14. Harry Greb
13. Jack Johnson
12. Benny Leonard
11. Sam Langford
10. Gene Tunney
9. Lennox Lewis (slightly high?)
8. Henry Armstrong
7. Roberto Duran
6. Floyd Mayweather Jr.
5. Rocky Marciano
4. Sugar Ray Leonard (i would flip 4 and 5)
3. Joe Louis
2. Sugar Ray Robinson
1. Muhammad Ali (DUH!)
zyberianwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 11:17 AM   #8
hamed2
Hall Of Famer

I always heard how great SR Robinson was/is but in his era, did he fight/beats guys on the level of Hagler, Hearns, Duran, Benetiz, Kalule?

Last edited by hamed2; 07-22-2018 at 11:18 AM.
hamed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 12:11 PM   #9
IceTea
Hall Of Famer

Hopkins isn't the third best middleweight of all-time. I doubt that he's in the top ten.
Old 07-22-2018, 01:59 PM   #10
bob_bask
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zyberianwarrior View Post
For you Bob

26. Julio César Chávez
25. Bernard Hopkins
24. Ezzard Charles
23. Manny Pacquiao
22. Joe Frazier (low?)
21. Marvin Hagler
20. George Foreman
19. Willie Pep (low at least in my unis)
18. Archie Moore
17. Mike Tyson (would be higher if King didn't get his claws into him)
16. Jack Dempsey
15. Roy Jones Jr.
14. Harry Greb
13. Jack Johnson
12. Benny Leonard
11. Sam Langford
10. Gene Tunney
9. Lennox Lewis (slightly high?)
8. Henry Armstrong
7. Roberto Duran
6. Floyd Mayweather Jr.
5. Rocky Marciano
4. Sugar Ray Leonard (i would flip 4 and 5)
3. Joe Louis
2. Sugar Ray Robinson
1. Muhammad Ali (DUH!)
Any criteria behind list given as it's definitely unique.

"I occasionally agreed to carry an opponent, almost always in what is known as a tune-up fight. I never considered it morally wrong as long as I was winning the fight. I was never a killer, like some fighters. I never enjoyed knocking out a guy who I knew had no chance to beat me." Sugar Ray Robinson
Old 07-22-2018, 02:10 PM   #11
bob_bask
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamed2 View Post
I always heard how great SR Robinson was/is but in his era, did he fight/beats guys on the level of Hagler, Hearns, Duran, Benetiz, Kalule?
That's a tough question.

With the exception of Gavilan I don't expect any of his opponents to be near the top of anyone's all-time weight class lists.

But that doesn't mean he didn't fight an impressive field of fighters.

Old 07-22-2018, 03:39 PM   #12
hamed2
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_bask View Post
That's a tough question.

With the exception of Gavilan I don't expect any of his opponents to be near the top of anyone's all-time weight class lists.

But that doesn't mean he didn't fight an impressive field of fighters.

Yeah, good point - I was just wondering what top athletes SRR fought? Tough guys sure but I'm not sure many were fast.

I could see a guy like Hearns out boxing & then really hurting tough but slow men.
Old 07-22-2018, 05:25 PM   #13
bob_bask
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yeah, good point - I was just wondering what top athletes SRR fought? Tough guys sure but I'm not sure many were fast.

I could see a guy like Hearns out boxing & then really hurting tough but slow men.
I don't have the tape but plenty got described as "fast" in the ring, be it movers or hand speed. Obviously there are levels and I don't believe Robinson ever came up against an opponent that matched his own.

Hearns body of work at WW I would say is not to level of Robinson's (Leonard better opponent but just over Gavilan.) As he moved up he met greater quality though.

Old 07-22-2018, 06:07 PM   #14
hamed2
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_bask View Post
I don't have the tape but plenty got described as "fast" in the ring, be it movers or hand speed. Obviously there are levels and I don't believe Robinson ever came up against an opponent that matched his own.

Hearns body of work at WW I would say is not to level of Robinson's (Leonard better opponent but just over Gavilan.) As he moved up he met greater quality though.

Right.

I brought up Hearns because @ WW, I doubt SRR faced a guy close to that level besides Kid, he was a beast when Leonard fought him that 1st time @ 147.

Last edited by hamed2; 07-22-2018 at 06:08 PM.
Old 07-23-2018, 11:14 AM   #15
Cap
Hall Of Famer

Re: Robinson. There's a reason this guy is in the top three of most lists of ATG. He had crazy skills and he dominated an era when there were thousands of fighters not hundreds. In his day guys were nowhere near as protected as they were/are in the modern era. You learned by fighting and you took some losses along the way. Losses, especially decision losses, didn't have the negative connotations they have now where you're pretty much a bum if you don't have an 0 in the loss column.

Besides Gavilan, Robinson fought the best of his day and he fought often. He fought guys who had 70 to 80 fights or more. That was commonplace. He beat stars of the era. Guys like Marty Servo, Jake LaMotta, Henry Armstrong, Tommy Bell, Robert Villemain, Bernie Docusen, Bobo Olson, Randy Turpin, etc. Robinson was the total package. No accident Ray Leonard took the name "Sugar Ray".

My biggest gripe with that list is having Joe Louis ranked No.3 instead of 1 or 2 where he belongs.

Cap
Old 07-23-2018, 01:08 PM   #16
hamed2
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap View Post

Besides Gavilan, Robinson fought the best of his day and he fought often. He fought guys who had 70 to 80 fights or more. That was commonplace. He beat stars of the era. Guys like Marty Servo, Jake LaMotta, Henry Armstrong, Tommy Bell, Robert Villemain, Bernie Docusen, Bobo Olson, Randy Turpin, etc. Robinson was the total package. No accident Ray Leonard took the name "Sugar Ray".

Cap

They did fight much more back then, but aside from Gavilan & Henry Armstrong, I could see Wilfred Benitez out boxing a lot of guys on that list. Duran would have been a handful too for those guys & no doubt LaMotta was tough but I could picture Hearns either out boxing or destroying him - like he did Duran in 2.

Last edited by hamed2; 07-23-2018 at 01:11 PM.
Old 07-23-2018, 02:07 PM   #17
bob_bask
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Re: Robinson. There's a reason this guy is in the top three of most lists of ATG. He had crazy skills and he dominated an era when there were thousands of fighters not hundreds.

Quote:
Besides Gavilan, Robinson fought the best of his day and he fought often. He fought guys who had 70 to 80 fights or more. That was commonplace. He beat stars of the era. Guys like Marty Servo, Jake LaMotta, Henry Armstrong, Tommy Bell, Robert Villemain, Bernie Docusen, Bobo Olson, Randy Turpin, etc.
I am Robinson's biggest fan, but I couple that with plenty of research on the man and the times.

He did fight the best of his era, very few match-up got away, but his outing against bon-a-fide challengers was at no more of an increase rate than the modern era.

On his way up, '41 - '42 he fought a top challenger every 2 to 3 months - but once he made it, by this time after the war, reality was he could go 4-6 months before facing a ranked opponent.

Quote:
My biggest gripe with that list is having Joe Louis ranked No.3 instead of 1 or 2 where he belongs.
Another huge Louis fan. Haven't tried doing a list for sometime. But I would always put him above Ali, probably not Robinson.
Old 07-23-2018, 02:44 PM   #18
hamed2
Hall Of Famer

Good stuff bob!

I think SRR is great but in some sense I wonder if he was almost like Wilt in the NBA, he was so much better than most/everyone else because he was ahead of his time?

I ran the numbers for Leonard & combining the records of: Benetiz, Duran, Kalule, Hearns & Hagler, they were a combined 240-3-3 when Ray beat them for an astounding 98.7 winning %.
Old 07-24-2018, 05:32 AM   #19
bob_bask
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I think SRR is great but in some sense I wonder if he was almost like Wilt in the NBA, he was so much better than most/everyone else because he was ahead of his time?
For me, no. Robinson wasn't ahead of his time, I honesty don't think the sport has evolved from a technical pov since his times.

He was like Cap alluded to, the closest to the pinnacle of what a boxer should be that the sport has ever seen.

Quote:
I ran the numbers for Leonard & combining the records of: Benetiz, Duran, Kalule, Hearns & Hagler, they were a combined 240-3-3 when Ray beat them for an astounding 98.7 winning %.
No doubt about it Ray Leonard was a great fighter.

Old 07-27-2018, 06:35 PM   #20
IceTea
Hall Of Famer

Ricardo Lopez wasn't on the list. He fought on a higher level than Hopkins.