Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - General Discussions

OOTP 19 - General Discussions Everything about the 2018 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 03-24-2018, 02:07 PM   #1
aadam
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Game screen layout makes no sense

The new 3D engine is awesome but there's one fundamental mistake about it, now that not every widget position can be customized and top area is locked to top. The things people are constantly watching are play-by-play text, ball and out info and the 3D game action. So now info is on the very top on the screen and game action is in the very bottom so on my 2550x1440 monitor, they are 30cm/1 ft apart. It's very inconvenient to look at the action, read the text and monitor outs. The only thing I could do is to turn on the pitches widget to see balls and strikes next to the action (anyway, pitches widget is flawed, texts are overlapping, pitch numbers aren't centered in their circles, pitch speed column is too narrow to display its text).

Please bring back full customization, I don't get why the screen had to be dumbed down.
aadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 02:10 PM   #2
andyhdz
All Star Starter

You still have the old view with customization. Switch to 3d classic.
andyhdz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 03:34 PM   #3
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Yeah I keep going back and forth.. I really like the new modern 3D look, but I also love the widget functionality of the 3D classic screen.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 04:18 PM   #4
IanIachimoe
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Yeah I keep going back and forth.. I really like the new modern 3D look, but I also love the widget functionality of the 3D classic screen.
same

IanIachimoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 04:33 PM   #5
Sweed
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
If you're playing on windows turn on text to speech, short pbp, delay to 1ms, and never have to read the text again. Simply listen to the play as you watch the action. I don't need the full description that a ball is hit "deep in the hole" or "splitting the gap". I can see it happen.

It has its drawbacks for sure but I still get the "game intro", current stat info, hitting streak info etc., and all other individual player blurbs so the immersion is still there. The price? Some awkward phrasing as the computer reads the text but that too me is a small price to pay to have the best of both worlds.
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 04:36 PM   #6
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Yeah TTS is starting to grow on me.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 04:44 PM   #7
andyhdz
All Star Starter

I wish the short pbp didn't have the ball location information it just wastes time when I'm listening to the guy tell me the ball was hit at 27F.
andyhdz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 05:05 PM   #8
Sweed
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyhdz View Post
I wish the short pbp didn't have the ball location information it just wastes time when I'm listening to the guy tell me the ball was hit at 27F.
Agreed The 1ms delay (haven't tried 0 ms) I think helps a bit. Most plays end in time with the audio. Then there are the ones with the long description after that, when your guy K's with the bases loaded, never end

I switched to 3d, and short pbp with TTS about half way through v18. I thought games might take longer then reading but they don't. If anything they are a bit faster for me. I virtually never look at the text anymore. After the switch I said I'd never go back and that was with v18 graphics. What do you think the chances are now that I will go back with the new look of v19?

Last edited by Sweed; 03-24-2018 at 05:06 PM. Reason: spelling correction... typed to fast :)
Old 03-24-2018, 05:44 PM   #9
IanIachimoe
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweed View Post
If you're playing on windows turn on text to speech, short pbp, delay to 1ms, and never have to read the text again. Simply listen to the play as you watch the action. I don't need the full description that a ball is hit "deep in the hole" or "splitting the gap". I can see it happen.

It has its drawbacks for sure but I still get the "game intro", current stat info, hitting streak info etc., and all other individual player blurbs so the immersion is still there. The price? Some awkward phrasing as the computer reads the text but that too me is a small price to pay to have the best of both worlds.
my problem is not with the text, I want the lineup box with season BA, HR, RBI & SB. I couldn't find that anywhere in modern. when expanded, it was that game's stats.not really a big deal.

having a PBP announcer would make this game perfect. gonna try your suggestion. thanks!

IanIachimoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 05:58 PM   #10
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

Side note: the size of screen is the biggest issue. although not 1'. if you play on a 60" screen, scanning a much larger surface area really does slow down a gamer -- not for ootp, it doesn't require instant input or any action by the user. outside of surface area, it's rather arbitrary where the info is placed. more a matter of changing a habit than anythign tangible in nature.

a semi-transparent HUD would be something you'd want, i think. you have to put the stuff around the field, otherwise - whether you look left/right/up/down really shoudln't matter.

i've always thought the 2d screen was cluttered and minimized the most important part - the field. a HUD would allow the info you want to be as close to teh field or even on it, if you chose.

also, it's all xml crap - markup languages are easy to work with, so resizing and moving and fonts adjusting are all possible things. maybe make a suggestion about an HUD that can be moved and resized as needed. ability to transpose left to right -> top to bottom if you want a different shape etc etc... also, to affect opacity - fade things with text still visible and you can create and customize your own HUD on-screen and in-game -- also a function to lock it all once done too.

as it is now, a corners, top/bottm and left/right are really no different from each other as far as position of the info... left/right would be better for before an AB takes place, i guess due to the aspect ratio most will use. you'd move more quickly between info and action while the ball is in play by scanning up/down. less distance to cover.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 08:33 PM   #11
Reggie
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanIachimoe View Post
my problem is not with the text, I want the lineup box with season BA, HR, RBI & SB. I couldn't find that anywhere in modern. when expanded, it was that game's stats.not really a big deal.

having a PBP announcer would make this game perfect. gonna try your suggestion. thanks!
I miss that line up box.
Reggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 09:10 PM   #12
silvam14
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie View Post
I miss that line up box.

How can I activate TTS?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-24-2018, 10:30 PM   #13
Sweed
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvam14 View Post
How can I activate TTS?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Opening screen > settings >misc > in-game sound

gives the options of TTS or Game sound+TTS (the one I use)
Old 03-25-2018, 06:58 AM   #14
aadam
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyhdz View Post
You still have the old view with customization. Switch to 3d classic.
Thanks, didn't know that. I decided to use the new interface for now because it looks awesome and try to live with it.

On the side note, the game needs an optical patch because there are several flaws like:

- Font mismatch on classic screen, with one line written in one font, the next one in another.
- Several objects designed for dark skin and remaining dark with other skins (win probability chart, defensive positioning dropdown selectors I can recall)
aadam is offline   Reply With Quote