Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 14 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2013 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 01-27-2014, 05:23 PM   #1
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Bunt for Hit

Just curious - anyone use this successfully, or seen the AI use it?

Have never tried it myself, but it kind of popped into my head after I saw a player with 7 (2-8 ratings) for "Bunt for Hit"

I don't think it's possible to find out through stats if he ever tired it, so thought I'd throw the question out here.
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 05:33 PM   #2
Painmantle
Hall Of Famer

Used it yes and been successful, seen it from the AI? not that I recall, but I probably haven't paid enough attention to notice if it did. I do know that a LHB has an increased chance of success compared to a RHB
“As soon as I got out there I felt a strange relationship with the pitcher's mound. It was as if I'd been born out there. Pitching just felt like the most natural thing in the world. Striking out batters was easy.” -Babe Ruth
“Ruth made a grave mistake when he gave up pitching. Working once a week, he might have lasted a long time and become a great star.”-Tris Speaker
My Dynasties
The Beantown Bambino
Painmantle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 05:33 PM   #3
endgame
Hall Of Famer

I have seen the AI use it and I have noticed my manager utilize it occasionally. It does not happen often and in those cases, I wish I could say it always made sense, i.e. expecting and finding that the batter was rated highly at the skill.
Old 01-27-2014, 05:43 PM   #4
EvilGenius
Minors (Double A)

I had a player once who was at best a .250 hitter, but could bunt his way pretty close to .300

Just watch the defensive ratings of the infield. I don't bunt unless there's a defensive liability on the field. You get a lot of errors on bunt plays if it's fielded by the deficient player (who can be involved in the play in several ways depending on how the play develops).

It can also be effective if the opposing pitcher is just having one of those days and you just can't hit him.

But bunting is like stealing bases. Don't do it unless the player is REALLY good at it. Since at best you will only get one base out of it, the lack of slugging percentage (and by extension OPS) can be a detriment with overuse.

There's actually reasons you don't see it all that often in the real world (reasons that have nothing to do with "players just don't learn fundamentals anymore"). Bunting is really only a viable strategy when there just aren't any better options.
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 05:57 PM   #5
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Painmantle View Post
Used it yes and been successful, seen it from the AI? not that I recall, but I probably haven't paid enough attention to notice if it did. I do know that a LHB has an increased chance of success compared to a RHB
Is that just in OOTP or irl also? Never really pay much attention to it since it's a rarely used strategy anyway.

The only times I can think of irl are rare, I think Juan Pierre used to try it sometimes leading off a game, and Otis Nixon used to do it occasionally back in the early 90's when he was with the Braves.
Old 01-27-2014, 06:17 PM   #6
Simmo13
All Star Reserve

I've used it with on occasion in my "deadball-era" fictional league....the AI certainly employs it, on one occasion with a bunt single, steal of second AND third, then scoring on a flyball! Ever since I've definitely paid a bit more attention to opponents "bunt for hit" ratings.
Simmo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 12:13 AM   #7
pgjocki
All Star Starter

I was watching the Reds and Nationals play game 7 of the divisional series this evening and came across this little gem:
Attached Images
Old 01-28-2014, 04:48 AM   #8
injury log
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenoser View Post
I
The only times I can think of irl are rare, I think Juan Pierre used to try it sometimes leading off a game, and Otis Nixon used to do it occasionally back in the early 90's when he was with the Braves.
There's been a lot more bunting for hits than that, even in recent years. I thought this article was really interesting:

The Best Bunter of All-Time - Beyond the Box Score
injury log is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 08:11 AM   #9
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by injury log View Post
There's been a lot more bunting for hits than that, even in recent years. I thought this article was really interesting:

Thanks for the link, great read. Was definitely surprised by the bit about the "Mick". Also was surprised to see Garvey's name up there. Never thought of either of those two as bunters.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:30 AM   #10
rpriske
Hall Of Famer

I just had the AI bunt for a hit in a game last night.

````````````````````````````````````````

rpriske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 09:34 AM   #11
ihatenames
Hall Of Famer

Had the AI use it against me last night. As for my own team I use it fairly frequently. My leadoff hitter is rated a 10 on it (1-10) scale. And I use it to decent success depending on the defenders ratings.
Old 01-28-2014, 10:24 AM   #12
Carlton
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by injury log View Post

Blasingame was a great bunt for hit man?

I never knew, all I knew was he could bunt and rarely got into Dp's

I knew Rizzuto was the best bunter of his time, but not that Blasingame took over that role

Will have to update his wikipedia

Anyway

Since I play deadball to 60's I see it often on the few times I watch a World Series Key game

"I am at that stage of my life where I keep myself out of arguments. I am 100% self sufficient spiritually, emotionally & financially. Even if you say 1+1=5, you are ABSOLUTELY CORRECT. Enjoy!"

Last edited by Carlton; 01-28-2014 at 10:31 AM.
Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote