Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: Suggestions and Feature Wish List
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Earlier versions of OOTP: Suggestions and Feature Wish List Let us know what you would like to see in future versions of OOTP! OOTPBM 2006 is in development, and there is still time left to get your suggestions into the game.

Old 02-05-2009, 01:16 PM   #1
Spanky
Major Leagues

SUGGESTION - Live Bullpen

I have been making this suggestion for many years now. This baseball game will never be complete without having "live" bullpen action. Earl Weaver baseball and other early game platforms had this feature.

I know there are "pros" and "cons" as to how such a concept would be structured. I suggest taking a look back at Earl Weaver baseball as an example.

As it is now, one can simply throw reliever into the bullpen in any inning and leave them there until "hell freezes over" without facing any consequences.

I have suggested that pitchers in the bullpen should be charged with throwing one pitch for every three pitches thrown in the on-field game. This effect would tie into a pitcher's fatigue factor. So, if a typical inning of action on the field saw opposing pitchers throw 30 pitches, any relivers in the pen would be charged with throwing at least 10 pitches.

This simple change to the game would add immeasurably to the managers pitching strategy. Furthermore, the pitching coach would have much more responsibility in monitoring the bullpen for effectiveness.

I am not going to say anymore at this time only because this idea never seems to get anywhere with the folks at OOTP. However, I would be more than glad to offer more input on this matter if this idea catches on and more input is offered.

I love playing OOTP but I'm finding that the lack of "strategy" options in the game leave me feeling bored sooner rather than later.

Just my 2-cents,
Spanky
Spanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 03:51 PM   #2
gord
Major Leagues

I was just thinking about this the other day when playing out a playoff game. EWBB warned you of leaving a reliever in the bullpen too long and even remembered if a player was still warm after sitting them down to have two other pitchers warm up. I liked that.
gord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 08:06 PM   #3
juanito89
Minors (Double A)

well, the other day, I had this reliever at the bullpen that I was planning to use, and by mistake took him off the bullpen and back to the bench, after he was already warmed up.

I thought that the game would reset his condition so that when I dragged his name back into the bullpen, he would be cold again. He wasn't, he was still warm. I thought it was a nice touch. He went on to save the game

On the other hand, I totally agree with the original poster's idea.

Last edited by juanito89; 03-21-2009 at 08:08 PM.
juanito89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 10:34 AM   #4
mgom27
Hall Of Famer

If your talking about calling up the Bullpen from the Dugout to say like get John Smoltz warming up or seeing the Pitcher warming up will never happen intill Live Play by Play is include.
Old 04-16-2009, 09:43 PM   #5
SmoothGentleman
Major Leagues

I like the original idea, adds in a little bit of realism that comes into play with Relivers in real life. I've heard many announcers say that it's the toughest position to scout from year to year.
SmoothGentleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 10:17 PM   #6
byzeil
Hall Of Famer

I like the idea of a reliever being able to become fatigued for throwing too long in the bullpen or getting up too often.

mdm
byzeil is offline   Reply With Quote