Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: Historical Simulations

Old 04-07-2007, 05:17 AM   #21
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brick View Post
The teams in the American Association didn't go away. It was more like two mergers. They just split off into the International League and the Pacific Coast League.
True, but the league itself ceased to exist. For the second time no less.

Interestingly, in the early 1970s, there was talk of reorganizing the AAA level into four 6-team leagues, partially in response to the Energy Crisis so as to make the leagues more geographically compact to reduce travel. The idea never went past the consideration stage.
Le Grande Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 11:06 AM   #22
elmwood44
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasnell View Post
Go to the league list of all free agents (it's the clipboard icon at the bottom of the screen next to the league home page icon). You have an action button that allows you to delete all free agents. I believe this action can only be taken in the off-season or pre-season.
Thanks Rasnell for your quick reply.

Unfortunately, I must still be doing something wrong.

I get thru all the steps but no matter where I enter the free agent screen from, I get no other button than the "REPORT" button I do not get the "CREATE FICTIONAL PLAYER", "IMPORT HISTORICAL PLAYER" or "DELETE ALL FREE AGENTS" button.

I have gone back and checked my steps numerous times. Not sure what I am doing wrong. Maybe the game doesn't want me messing with history!!!

Any ideas?
elmwood44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 11:19 AM   #23
swampdragon
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmwood44 View Post
Thanks Rasnell for your quick reply.

Unfortunately, I must still be doing something wrong.

I get thru all the steps but no matter where I enter the free agent screen from, I get no other button than the "REPORT" button I do not get the "CREATE FICTIONAL PLAYER", "IMPORT HISTORICAL PLAYER" or "DELETE ALL FREE AGENTS" button.

I have gone back and checked my steps numerous times. Not sure what I am doing wrong. Maybe the game doesn't want me messing with history!!!

Any ideas?
Did you check the commissioner box?
“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies." -- C.S. Lewis
swampdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 12:15 PM   #24
elmwood44
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampdragon View Post
Did you check the commissioner box?
Well, I have just proved beyond any reasonable doubt that I am an idiot!!!

Thanks for pointing out commish thing swampdragon!! It was the 1st thing I should have checked.

Rasnell, sorry I wasted your time but thank you again for taking the time to respond.
elmwood44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 08:42 PM   #25
swampdragon
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

How do you think I knew to check that? There are no stupid questions. OK, I bet someone can prove that to be wrong (before Sublimity and Syd show up), but you still should feel free to ask about anything you're having a problem with.
“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies." -- C.S. Lewis
swampdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 04:51 AM   #26
rasnell
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Thanks for pointing out commish thing swampdragon!! It was the 1st thing I should have checked.

Rasnell, sorry I wasted your time but thank you again for taking the time to respond.

You're not an idiot. I failed to mention commissioner mode. I honestly thought you could make the change in off-season without commissioner mode. So, see, we're not idiots. We're still learning something new every day.
Charlie Root won more games for the Cubs than any pitcher (201), yet was remembered for one pitch to Babe Ruth. Find out more about the 1929 World Series in my book, "Root for the Cubs: Charlie Root and the 1929 Chicago Cubs." See the web site at www.rootforthecubs.com. The book is at http://www.amazon.com/Root-Cubs-Char...t+for+the+cubs.

Beta tester, OOTP 2007-2023 and iOOTP 2011-2014.
rasnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 11:35 AM   #27
Zitofan75
All Star Starter

It seems like when I do a "historical-ficitional" league the deadball stats last longer than normal, is anyone else getting this? I thought I heard that this was an issue for some.
Zitofan75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 08:28 PM   #28
rasnell
Hall Of Famer

This is an issue. Something is wrong, especially with the HR modifiers once you get to the 1930s. It has been TT'd, Markus marked it fixed, and reports are that it's still not working.
Charlie Root won more games for the Cubs than any pitcher (201), yet was remembered for one pitch to Babe Ruth. Find out more about the 1929 World Series in my book, "Root for the Cubs: Charlie Root and the 1929 Chicago Cubs." See the web site at www.rootforthecubs.com. The book is at http://www.amazon.com/Root-Cubs-Char...t+for+the+cubs.

Beta tester, OOTP 2007-2023 and iOOTP 2011-2014.
rasnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 03:44 PM   #29
chimanbj
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiko1313 View Post
If I want minor leagues to be similar to the way they are today, would you just add AAA, AA, A (or 2 A's) and a rookie ball (or 2) for each team right from the start? I don't really know the history of minor leagues and how they worked over time and when minor league teams actually became affiliated with major league teams, etc., so I don't know that I'd want to bother with all of that (unless there's a relatively easy way). Seems like it would be easier to just do it the way it is today from the start. Thoughts?
I'm toying with the idea of trying to introduce minor leagues according to when they actually showed up. Now, you can go through the trouble of putting in EVERY minor/independent league that existed, but I find it much more manageable to put in today's leagues, from when they actually were founded. It helps to make quickstarts for the leagues that didn't exist in 1901.

And according to the MILB website, leagues weren't affiliated until 1921. And St. Louis was the team that really exploited the use of the minors early on. I haven't dug deep enough to know exactly how that is quantified, but I want to find out. Now, obviously, there's no roster set for the Pacific Coast League in 1901, so I just use the fictional players and go from there. I'm debating about using high school feeder leagues early on, with college leagues coming up in the 50's and 60's.

The historical simulation is pretty open-ended because you can do so many different things. For instance, you could create a series of leagues in the early years, and then when the depression comes, you could start to fold them up. And then you could "kill" draft-eligible players during the war as you see fit.

Seeing as you can alter the history text, you can enter in information about certain players missing 12-18 due to active duty requirements. Many poor souls wouldn't make it back. Of course, it would hit the minor league ranks harder than the majors.

It's a lot of fun...

Old 04-09-2007, 04:00 PM   #30
Ksyrup
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasnell View Post
This is an issue. Something is wrong, especially with the HR modifiers once you get to the 1930s. It has been TT'd, Markus marked it fixed, and reports are that it's still not working.
Are you referring to this just for fictional, or overall? Because I've seen too few HRs in my historical sims, too. Way too many in the early 20s, and too few in the 30s. 1922 seems to be a huge offensive year, not just for Babe Ruth. I see a swell of offense/HRs from 1921 through about 1924-26, then it gradually comes back down and I've got guys barely cracking 30 HRs a year in the 30s. Certainly no one coming close to 50.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 04:14 PM   #31
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimanbj View Post
I'm toying with the idea of trying to introduce minor leagues according to when they actually showed up. Now, you can go through the trouble of putting in EVERY minor/independent league that existed, but I find it much more manageable to put in today's leagues, from when they actually were founded.
I've thought about trying to write up a guideline for something like that in terms of which leagues started when, but it's a bit daunting because some league switched classification levels and most of the currently existing minors only appeared after WWII. Then you have to deal with long-time leagues which existed but then eventually folded (the American Association and the Southern Association being the most notable).

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimanbj View Post
And according to the MILB website, leagues weren't affiliated until 1921. And St. Louis was the team that really exploited the use of the minors early on. I haven't dug deep enough to know exactly how that is quantified, but I want to find out.
The evolution of the relationship between the majors and minors is a long and often complicated one. I'm still trying to find out info on what changes happened when, and it's not easy. You really need the help of knowledgeable folks like those involved with SABR.

The very simple version goes like this:

Originally, ALL minor leagues were independent operations. They sold their best players to the highest bidding major league club. However, there was the forerunner of the Rule 5 draft in place which allowed some additional movement of players.

Later on, some major league clubs began buying outright minor league teams in order to get complete access to all the players being developed; of course, this meant the major league team was now fully responsible for the finances of that minor league club. Others major league teams formed working agreements which saw the major league club pay the minor league club in exhange for exclusive access to the players being developed by the minor league team.

Eventually, all the players on minor league clubs became members of the major league team affiliated with that minor league team. In effect minor league teams owned little more than their club name and stadium; all the players actually belonged to the major league club.
Le Grande Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 04:24 PM   #32
chimanbj
All Star Reserve

I've run through this once..and here's the hiccup I came across: I have the independent leagues set up with full financials. When I go to affiliate them with the majors, all of a sudden, the major are flat broke because of the minor league contracts! I may have to go and give the major league teams a boost of funds to pay for the integration, but I don't know if that will solve the problem. Essentially, the renewing contracts in the newly-affiliated leagues have to be converted to minor league contracts. I don't see an easy way to do it, so that means manual intervention....