Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager 5 > FHM 5 - General Discussion

FHM 5 - General Discussion Talk about the 2018 version of FHM.

Old 04-17-2019, 09:11 PM   #1
Pallo55
Minors (Single A)

Players development

Am I the only one who thinks that the player development is too slow? In my saves I barely never see a player reaching his full 4-5 star potential. Right now at my save I have played 5 season and latest player who reached his 4-5 star potential is McDavid.

I have some examples, I could take hundreds of these players but I just take the top picks.

(ability / potential)

Patrik Laine 25yo 3.5 / 4.5 stars
Nico Hischer 24yo 3.5 / 5 stars
Elias Pettersson 24yo 3.5 / 5 stars
Miro Heiskanen 24yo 3 / 5 stars
Nolan Patrick 25yo 3 / 5 stars
Rasmus Dahlin 23yo 3 / 5 stars
Andrei Svechnikov 23yo 4 / 5 stars
Jesperi Kotkaniemi 23yo 3 / 4 stars
Filip Zadina 23yo 3 / 4.5 stars
Jack Hughes 22yo 3 / 5 stars
Kaapo Kakko 22yo 2 / 5 stars
Vasili Podkolzin 22yo 2 / 5 stars

Obviously most of these players still develops and Svechnikov and Kotkaniemi may get close to their full potential, but others most likely wont get even close. Like said I could take hundreds examples more, but I don't want to make this too long. I hope you can do something for this.
Pallo55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 09:41 PM   #2
GingerFace
Bat Boy

There is more to be said than just a player's potential and overall. Coaching, player personalities (work ethic, intelligence, leadership ability, etc) have a huge impact on the development of a ballplayer. Also, if possible, try to set some money aside for player development cash in the player development screen because that seems to usually work for me. But most importantly, pay attention to the stats as they come along. Shortlist them and disable AI demotion/promotion and promote them as they succeed at different levels until they make your big league ball club. It can be time consuming, but it is more than worth it.
GingerFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 09:51 PM   #3
Pallo55
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerFace View Post
There is more to be said than just a player's potential and overall. Coaching, player personalities (work ethic, intelligence, leadership ability, etc) have a huge impact on the development of a ballplayer. Also, if possible, try to set some money aside for player development cash in the player development screen because that seems to usually work for me. But most importantly, pay attention to the stats as they come along. Shortlist them and disable AI demotion/promotion and promote them as they succeed at different levels until they make your big league ball club. It can be time consuming, but it is more than worth it.

This is not OOTP.
Old 04-17-2019, 10:27 PM   #4
Adam B
Hockey Community Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pallo55 View Post
Am I the only one who thinks that the player development is too slow? In my saves I barely never see a player reaching his full 4-5 star potential. Right now at my save I have played 5 season and latest player who reached his 4-5 star potential is McDavid.

I have some examples, I could take hundreds of these players but I just take the top picks.

(ability / potential)

Patrik Laine 25yo 3.5 / 4.5 stars
Nico Hischer 24yo 3.5 / 5 stars
Elias Pettersson 24yo 3.5 / 5 stars
Miro Heiskanen 24yo 3 / 5 stars
Nolan Patrick 25yo 3 / 5 stars
Rasmus Dahlin 23yo 3 / 5 stars
Andrei Svechnikov 23yo 4 / 5 stars
Jesperi Kotkaniemi 23yo 3 / 4 stars
Filip Zadina 23yo 3 / 4.5 stars
Jack Hughes 22yo 3 / 5 stars
Kaapo Kakko 22yo 2 / 5 stars
Vasili Podkolzin 22yo 2 / 5 stars

Obviously most of these players still develops and Svechnikov and Kotkaniemi may get close to their full potential, but others most likely wont get even close. Like said I could take hundreds examples more, but I don't want to make this too long. I hope you can do something for this.
Just because a player has the ability to reach 5 stars doesn't mean he's going to get there. Most of the players you've listed will be good players, but not necessarily stars. Keep in mind, a 2 star player is an every day NHL. Players can still get to their peak in their later 20s (which could be the case with some of these guys) but many of them also have lapses where if they don't pick up or you're not putting development in, they may not go.

Laine is often a defensive liability.

Hischer and Patrick are good, but they aren't superstars. Their scoring will always be a question.

There's nothing wrong with Petterson at 3.5. If he reaches 4 stars (which is likely), I would argue that's about perfect for him.

All the rest look good, but they're unproven. Without seeing more information, it's hard to say if development is off. I think you're worrying a little too much here.
Adam B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 01:56 AM   #5
JeffR
FHM Producer

We did adjust the formula that generates the potential star numbers to be a bit more optimistic this year, so if the point of comparison is previous versions, you'll definitely see more guys not making it all the way to their full potential number.

It does looks like the development in your game is atypically slow for a lot of those guys, I know I regularly see 4+ stars for most of those guys in their mid-20's. So in this case, a little bad luck may be compounding the changes we made in the numbers. On the other end of the spectrum, there was a Reddit post a few weeks back where someone had a game-generated Russian defenceman that had hit 5 stars by the time he was drafted, so it can occasionally go in the other direction as well.
JeffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 12:33 PM   #6
redtiger7
All Star Starter

So what are some good steps we can take to help players develop?
redtiger7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 01:38 AM   #7
JeffR
FHM Producer

Good coaches (and keep the Coaching Prospects rating in mind), don't spread the bonus points on the training menu too thin or waste them on older players, and don't play a prospect at a level he's not ready for yet or in a role where he won't get much playing time.

At the NHL level, unless you've got a very fast-developing player who's ready to play in his teens, you'll only have your prospects for part of their fastest growth phase (late teens, early 20's), so not making any mistakes on development at that point is critical. A bad year developmentally at that stage can put the player far behind the curve.

And keep in mind that no matter what you do, some guys are going to be busts. You can try to pick those ones out by steering clear of drafting players with questionable comments on their scouting reports, but that won't be 100% foolproof.
JeffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 02:05 PM   #8
Pallo55
Minors (Single A)

Well what about when you are controlling some team in Europe? There is no point of getting young talents to your team because the slow development and the salary what they are asking.

Basically all young players whos potential is above 2.5 stars, needs to be paid 1st line salary. I know that this has been a probelm in older versions of game too, but haven't really heard a reason why isn't it fixed? Can't it just be made so players ask their salary based on their ability and not by potential?

Last edited by Pallo55; 04-23-2019 at 06:35 PM.
Old 05-29-2019, 02:55 PM   #9
geisterhome
Minors (Triple A)

Are older players actually ever falling of a cliff? Maybe I just haven't played enough but I have yet to see one, seems everyone is declining slowly and steadily. Often players have good ratings even into their late 30ies. I know this is a complex topic and I didn't really pay enough attention it (also cos it is harder (acutally impossible) to track than it should be.
geisterhome is offline   Reply With Quote