Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 01-07-2018, 05:19 PM   #1
ForeverRoyalKC
All Star Starter

Sincere question: Would you pluck from the Patriots coaching staff?

I mean this as a sincere discussion and not being an *** against the Patriots.

If you had a head coach/GM opening, would you be so fast to go after Patriots personnel? Seems to me, outside of Thomas Dimitroff, that they haven't worked out so well in high places. Scott Pioli, Romeo Crennel, Josh McDaniel, Bill O'Brien have crashed or did "meh."

I'm not saying you can't have a second chance, due to some coaches stinking in one place and coming out a rose in another, but would you really be so fast to do it? I remember when Kansas City got Pioli, Crennel and Weis, we thought we would be the new Patriots. But.........
And I think these other teams are having that same "He's bringing the Patriot Way here" mentality. JMO.

Last edited by TC Dale; 01-09-2018 at 04:22 PM. Reason: Not following posted rules. Edited.
ForeverRoyalKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 11:53 PM   #2
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverRoyalKC View Post
I mean this as a sincere discussion and not being an *** against the Patriots.

If you had a head coach/GM opening, would you be so fast to go after Patriots personnel? Seems to me, outside of Thomas Dimitroff, that they haven't worked out so well in high places. Scott Pioli, Romeo Crennel, Josh McDaniel, Bill O'Brien have crashed or did "meh."

I'm not saying you can't have a second chance, due to some coaches stinking in one place and coming out a rose in another, but would you really be so fast to do it? I remember when Kansas City got Pioli, Crennel and Weis, we thought we would be the new Patriots. But.........
And I think these other teams are having that same "He's bringing the Patriot Way here" mentality. JMO.
No. I wouldn't. I've said it time & time again. Belichek = genius is a myth.
He just does what every other coach tries to do better. Innovative coaches like Walsh, Landry, Coryell are the ones that usually spawn coaching trees.

Belichek's plus is the fact he's the most flexible coach in the game. He doesn't want to win his way. He wants to win. And he gameplans that way. He tailors it to his team & to his opponent. If pounding the ball is called for, he'll do it. If throwing 30 straight times is needed, he'll do it. He gives you an advantage every game. He just knows the opposing team will not be patient enough to take it each time. It's a lesson other coaches refuse to learn & I just don't get it. Being married to a game style is restricting yourself.

The other advantages are he's non-sentimental with his roster, his teams rarely make unforced errors, and never allows himself to be sidetracked by the media.

All of the above are products of his personality. Not a product a coaching acumen that can be passed to others.

One other reason: The other guys don't take Tom Brady with them.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
June 7, 1958 - Apr 21, 2016

Last edited by TC Dale; 01-09-2018 at 04:21 PM. Reason: edited.
Cobra Mgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 06:28 PM   #3
cephasjames
Hall Of Famer

Sure. The Patriots are a very successful program. Obviously, not everyone is on the same level as Belichick (coaches, staff, players, etc) but most people pick up some good stuff being a part of a great program like that. Will it always translate into success somewhere else? Not necessarily. But it sure is worth a shot.
Pre-OOTP 23 Custom Cap & Jersey Template v3.0 by Deft and NoPepper (with layers from other various artists) that I use: Caps, Jerseys
cephasjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 07:51 PM   #4
TheMaus2
All Star Starter

It also depends on what type of situation said coach is coming into. Mike Tomlin inherited a SB winner and a bunch of assistants who had played in the previous regime. Not every guy has that type of luck (of course, Tomlin's a great HC now, but it helped to have inherited those assets.)

I also listen to music no one's ever heard of in hopes of looking cool and alternative.
TheMaus2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 01:49 PM   #5
Splitter24
Hall Of Famer

I know the OP means a head coaching hire, but if you were looking for an outside the box snag from the Patriots staff, it would be money well spent to get Dante Scarnecchia to fix your offensive line.

Currently Reading: The Sympathizer by Viet Thanh Nguyen

"Well, the game is afoot. I’ll take anal bum cover for 7,000." - "Sean Connery" SNL Celebrity Jeopardy

R.I.P. Tommy Holmes 1917-2008
Splitter24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 01:54 PM   #6
TribeFanInNC
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Mgr View Post
THE reason: The other guys don't take Tom Brady with them.
QFT. 100%.

Obviously the relationship is synergistic. I think Belichick could win with other QBs. But Brady certainly makes it work as well as anyone could.
TribeFanInNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 04:21 PM   #7
TC Dale
Global Moderator

Please understand that Talk Sports is not like Off Topic/Off Topic Debates. Talk Sports is considered to be like the General Discussions in content, where a stricter set of rules is in play.

From this link http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...d.php?t=210733 it states:

After noticing a number of new posts lately with masked swears or swearing abbreviations in them, we would like to remind everyone try to keep these main boards (Off Topic and OTD boards are not included) relatively clean and family-friendly.

Also note that quoting inappropriate content, like swears, is also against the rules, as is trolling and things of that nature. You can read the full rules here.

Make sure to familiarize yourself with the rules, please.

Please adjust your posting to follow these rules in the future, any further posts or quoted posts that do not follow the above guidelines will be eligible for edits and warnings if it continues. We have a great community of posters and discussions, and it would be nice to keep it within the rules.
TC Dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 04:40 PM   #8
ukhotstove
Hall Of Famer

I’ve always wondered what % each part of a sports organisation brings to the wins column, using the Patriots as an example would they be as good, better or worse with say Sean Payton at the helm, would they be as good, better or worse with Aaron Rodgers at QB. Whoever mentioned Tom Brady first as a draft pick what % of the Patriots success does he take, what about owners some are more hands on than others do they hinder or help. I know it’s sheer guess work but I’d love someone to come up with a formula, will never happen but be interesting if they ever did.
ukhotstove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 09:04 AM   #9
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Interesting theory from Brandon Lloyd.

Quote:
Belichick’s system works “because so many of the players lack the ability to start on another team, so they just do what they’re told to do.”

The Patriots, he continued, “take players like that on purpose. That’s the business model.” And why doesn’t that business model work for his Belichick’s ex-assistants? Simple: “Because (those guys) don’t have the credibility Bill does.”

Lloyd added that some players even have trouble buying into Belichick’s model in New England, despite the incredible results his system has produced since 2001. “It’s not like the Patriots don’t have disgruntled players. They do,” Lloyd told Bishop. “It’s that the credibility goes so far back you can’t ignore it. So, you do what you’re supposed to do.”
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
June 7, 1958 - Apr 21, 2016
Cobra Mgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 07:38 PM   #10
BaseballMan
Hall Of Famer

It might be worth it for a team to give Josh McDaniels another shot at head coach.
Yes i know he was in over his head and terrible in Denver. But he could use that experience to build on and he has done pretty well with the patriots offesne. Of course having Brady helps. Still having learned from Belicheck it might be worth a shot.
BaseballMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 08:41 PM   #11
cephasjames
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Mgr View Post
Interesting theory from Brandon Lloyd.
This theory would make Belichick even better than he already is. Rather than taking a bunch of talented guys and getting them to win on a regular basis, he'd be taking a bunch of average guys to win on a regular basis. That would be much more impressive.
Pre-OOTP 23 Custom Cap & Jersey Template v3.0 by Deft and NoPepper (with layers from other various artists) that I use: Caps, Jerseys
cephasjames is offline   Reply With Quote