Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - Online Leagues
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 14 - Online Leagues Want to create or join an OOTP 14 online league? This is the right forum for you.

Old 02-04-2014, 04:00 PM   #1
cfagyal
Minors (Single A)

Online League - Questions

I'm considering creating an online league. I just got OOTP over the weekend and the options are amazing. Some questions I have for others:

I'm considering the following:

MLB using the updated 2013 roster set with all of the minor leagues (PCL, etc) but removing the generic minors, Fictional College setup with fictional players as a feeder into the Major's, and also the pro leagues from Japan, Taiwan, Korea, Mexico, and Cuba.

I'm also considering having draft classes be rookies from all eras (So Ruth, Dimaggio, Ted Williams, et all show up randomly in the draft classes). Seems that would be a bit more entertaining than all of the draft classes be purely fictional created players.

My questions are as follows:

1) Do people prefer the rosters to be as they are now, or to do an inaugural draft? Personally I love drafting, and see how others draft...The strategy, etc...do you go for winning now, do you draft potential, etc.

2) If you draft, how is a 200 round draft handled? Seems it would take absolutely forever. I just did one for the above setup, and after about 35 rounds I just let the computer finish everything. I figured after I drafted the majors and several guys I viewed as top prospects, i'd just let the computer take over.

3) Is there a preference for current MLB cities/names, or generated cities/names? I see both sides...though the generated cities/names could be fun because the "bias" regarding markets etc would be eliminated somewhat I think.

4) Would there be interest in such a league?
cfagyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 06:14 PM   #2
HerbD
All Star Reserve

First and foremost I think OOTP online league players would like their commish to have a little more experience with the game. Not meant to be mean or rude, just a fact.
Old 02-04-2014, 07:03 PM   #3
cfagyal
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerbD View Post
First and foremost I think OOTP online league players would like their commish to have a little more experience with the game. Not meant to be mean or rude, just a fact.
That's fine, however you will notice, none of what I posted is actually asking "how" to do anything. You'd have no idea what my experience level is if I hadn't actually told you what it was . My questions were solely a) people's preferences in general and b) people's experiences doing inaugural drafts which are incredibly long (200 rounds). And to be honest, everyone here, was a commissioner for the first time at one point in time. I don't believe anyone was born with that experience
cfagyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 09:45 PM   #4
stevem810
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfagyal View Post
I'm considering creating an online league. I just got OOTP over the weekend and the options are amazing. Some questions I have for others:

1) Do people prefer the rosters to be as they are now, or to do an inaugural draft? Personally I love drafting, and see how others draft...The strategy, etc...do you go for winning now, do you draft potential, etc.

ANS: Both. For MLB cities in a modern environment I like starting with the existing rosters as they will have that identity for at least a while and it's always interesting to see if you can manage your version of the MLB franchise better than the MLB version. For leagues with your own cities and uni's I like an inaugural draft.

2) If you draft, how is a 200 round draft handled? Seems it would take absolutely forever. I just did one for the above setup, and after about 35 rounds I just let the computer finish everything. I figured after I drafted the majors and several guys I viewed as top prospects, i'd just let the computer take over.

ANS: You have the right idea regarding limiting the picks at some point. I probably would like to draft at least the first 40 players and after that you can use an in-game list which allows the hardcore GM to make all his picks or use the utility for that function.

3) Is there a preference for current MLB cities/names, or generated cities/names? I see both sides...though the generated cities/names could be fun because the "bias" regarding markets etc would be eliminated somewhat I think.

ANS: I lean a little towards having my own city and affiliates but am in multiple leagues so I do enjoy both.

4) Would there be interest in such a league?
ANS: I'm maxed out on leagues right now. You might consider a small league of 12 or 16 as that would allow you to focus on the learning component without a lot of GM recruiting/demands, etc.

Good luck!
stevem810 is offline   Reply With Quote