Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions

Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions General chat about the game...

Old 06-24-2008, 11:28 PM   #41
dzanr
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Incomplete sentence: page=add_edit_managers.

End of first paragraph reads: "As we mentioned earlier, a manager is the ."

DZ
dzanr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 11:35 PM   #42
battists
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzanr View Post
Incomplete sentence: page=add_edit_managers.

End of first paragraph reads: "As we mentioned earlier, a manager is the ."

DZ
Fixed, thanks!
battists is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 02:50 PM   #43
McBruce
Minors (Double A)

Offline version of manual?

How large is the complete set of linked HTML pages in the manual plus images?

I'm thinking it might be nice to have it accessible without going online (read on laptop during road trips, etc.). That would, in fact, be better than a PDF file. One of the reasons I love to tinker about with Perl is because the standard distribution comes with a great HTML file containing everything you need to know.
McBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 09:10 PM   #44
battists
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBruce View Post
How large is the complete set of linked HTML pages in the manual plus images?

I'm thinking it might be nice to have it accessible without going online (read on laptop during road trips, etc.). That would, in fact, be better than a PDF file. One of the reasons I love to tinker about with Perl is because the standard distribution comes with a great HTML file containing everything you need to know.
Andreas is going to work on an option to print the whole thing, but that might wait until I'm actually done with the darned thing.

Meanwhile, if it's your OOTP computer it already IS on there! You have a complete local copy of the manual inside the game!
Old 06-26-2008, 10:23 PM   #45
McBruce
Minors (Double A)

I suspected this, but there are a LOT of files in that folder and it took me a while to find the 'toc'. Good job. Much reading ahead...
McBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 06:29 AM   #46
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by battists View Post
Andreas is going to work on an option to print the whole thing, but that might wait until I'm actually done with the darned thing.

Meanwhile, if it's your OOTP computer it already IS on there! You have a complete local copy of the manual inside the game!
The manual that shipped with the game, does this get updated as you update the online manual?

If not, will we eventually be able to download an updated PDF version?

I don't want to print the manual by any means, but it's nice to have available on my laptop for when I'm travelling (which I do a lot of) and don't have internet connectivity.

Thanks
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 07:47 AM   #47
battists
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBruce View Post
I suspected this, but there are a LOT of files in that folder and it took me a while to find the 'toc'. Good job. Much reading ahead...
Well, uh, I wasn't expecting you to browse through the files, I guess. What I meant was, if you go to the Help menu in-game and select Index, that's the same "toc"!
Old 06-27-2008, 07:49 AM   #48
battists
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceM View Post
The manual that shipped with the game, does this get updated as you update the online manual?
It does, depending on your settings in Game Preferences under "Online Settings" (or online something, I don't have the game in front of me right now.)

By default it's set to "update older files" which means that it will update files that have changed and are more than a week old. If you have a persistent internet connection, you can change it to "download always," which makes the help open a tiny bit slower, but will ensure you get new pages as soon as they are available when you try to open them.

Thanks,

Steve
Old 06-27-2008, 08:00 AM   #49
HercMighty
Minors (Double A)

So it only updates pages if you try to open them? Are the help files also going to be part of patches?
HercMighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 12:13 PM   #50
thevat
Minors (Double A)

Curses! My damn work internet filter blocks the manual, I was hoping to read it at work today.
thevat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 04:43 PM   #51
ootp3to6
Hall Of Famer

I would like to be able to download a "PDF" file for the OOTP 9 manual if at all possible. Please reconsider. Thank you.
ootp3to6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 09:53 PM   #52
1998 Yankees
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
It does, depending on your settings in Game Preferences under "Online Settings" (or online something, I don't have the game in front of me right now.)

By default it's set to "update older files" which means that it will update files that have changed and are more than a week old. If you have a persistent internet connection, you can change it to "download always," which makes the help open a tiny bit slower, but will ensure you get new pages as soon as they are available when you try to open them.

Thanks,

Steve
With either of these features, the manual is updated automatically, correct? So, I will always have the most current manual (and ultimately the final version) as long as I start the game occasionally. I just checked, the size of the Help folder is 34.5MB, comparable to the OOTP2007 manual which was 19.9MB. So, I already have an up-to-date manual on my computer and all I have to do to look at it off-line is create a shortcut by right-clicking on the toc.html file, dragging it to the desktop, and selecting "Create Shortcut here."
Quote:
Originally Posted by ootp3to6 View Post
I would like to be able to download a "PDF" file for the OOTP 9 manual if at all possible. Please reconsider. Thank you.
So why do we need a PDF file? Well, the only reasons that I can see are:
  1. You cannot search the computer version of the manual (that is, away from the game and its F1 context capability) like you can the online version,
  2. You cannot take the manual with you by copying the entire folder onto a flash drive, including the shortcut. Something gets left behind apparently because some images are missing, and
  3. Uninstalling the game deletes the computer manual. Let's say it's years from now when the OOTP 9 manual is no longer online and is not updating the computer version any more. That means if the latest version of the manual was not included in the last patch, then it will be lost forever.
If you can remedy these issues, then yes, we don't need a PDF version IMO.
1998 Yankees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 10:00 PM   #53
battists
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HercMighty View Post
So it only updates pages if you try to open them? Are the help files also going to be part of patches?
You are correct, the game checks for updates when you access a page. To your second question, the answer is "yes." For example, the 1st patch included updated help files based on changes I made between release and patch 1.
Old 06-27-2008, 10:07 PM   #54
battists
Hall Of Famer

Technically the local copy of the manual isn't always up to date. It simply checks when you access a certain page to make sure THAT page is up to date.

We will certainly entertain the notion of a PDF, and as I mentioned Andreas is considering that too, but the fact of the matter is we just cannot provide the manual in multiple formats designed for those formats. Last year's version was PDF, which made some happy, and some miserable. This year we have the reverse situation. For us, the online version is more desirable for several reasons:

a. we can have multiple simultaneous editors
b. we can link people to specific places from the forums
c. we can integrate it with the in-game help

We just don't have the manpower to manage making two separate optimized versions. In fact, we scarcely have the manpower to manage one, as you can tell by the fact that the manual is incomplete now.

We may be able to accomplish a script that will take all of the pages from the online manual and put them into a single PDF, but that would not be optimized for print like last year's PDF version is, and it would likely end up taking 600+ pages to print, since last year's was 500, there's more information now, and it wouldn't be optimized for printing.

In the mean time, unfortunately, I need to focus on getting the content complete!
Old 06-27-2008, 11:11 PM   #55
1998 Yankees
Hall Of Famer

page=substitution_pages#warming_up_pitchers

Section header: "Substituting on Defense ( "

Compare to the section above it: "Substituting on Offense (Pinch Hitting)"

Meant to say more, but the phone rang just then?
Old 06-28-2008, 11:29 AM   #56
1998 Yankees
Hall Of Famer

Dola,

page=other_helpful_info:

- What does OOTP recommend for backing up your leagues?

Was that meant to be linked to somewhere?
Old 06-29-2008, 04:17 PM   #57
1998 Yankees
Hall Of Famer

My apologies, but no more "dolas" after this.

--------------------

page=names

"Editing OOPTB Text Files in Microsoft Excel" is a dead link.

--------------------

page=understanding_the_nations_txt_file

"The likelihood of a pl "

I would guess it should be the same as in the OOTP 8 manual: "The likelihood of a player receiving a facial type of certain types."

--------------------

battists, are you sure you want all these here? I feel like I'm playing "gotcha" which is not my intention, I assure you.

--------------------

Last edited by 1998 Yankees; 06-29-2008 at 04:50 PM.
Old 06-30-2008, 02:19 AM   #58
Curtis
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Ooh, I'll follow you, I have some of my own!
Apparently I won't. I just tried and was informed that I had insufficient permissions to post in that section of the forum.

One thing I've noticed is that an awful lot of 2007/8 stuff was carried along into this version 9 forum. Considering how long it took to start up the version 9 forum, I would have hoped that someone could've left all of the 2007/8 stuff behind in the old 2007/8 forum… which, after all, still exists.

By the way, I've tried looking up a couple of things about how transactions (waivers, DFA, etc.) work, and both things I've tried to F1 came back with some variation on 'no such page'. I've tried hitting the 'next page/previous page' buttons, and they also come back with 'no information'.

Steve, with all of the problems I've had with version 9, I've gotta say that it looks to me like this game was released a couple of months before it was ready. I should've followed 1998 Yankees' advice and waited for patch 3 before downloading the stupid thing.
Curtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 07:30 AM   #59
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
You are correct, the game checks for updates when you access a page. To your second question, the answer is "yes." For example, the 1st patch included updated help files based on changes I made between release and patch 1.
So there's no way possible to open the manual in game and have it update all pages?
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 02:20 PM   #60
Ambermonk
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceM View Post
So there's no way possible to open the manual in game and have it update all pages?
Please, I want this too.