Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: Historical Simulations

Old 06-05-2008, 07:22 PM   #21
ootp8fan
Bat Boy

the thing I wish they would have added in ootp9 is a Hall of Fame day in the same way as picking allstars. The screen could list the players that recently retired and show career stats, major awards, allstar appearances, championships, etc. Then allow us to pick from the screen one of 3 options....

Yes.
No.
not this time. try again next year.

also include the wait time that all major league players have to wait in the game. I think this allows for some time to pass so that you can truely decided the Yes/No question as well as just being more realistic to how the process is done in MLB.
ootp8fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 07:35 PM   #22
theasfl
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ootp8fan View Post
the thing I wish they would have added in ootp9 is a Hall of Fame day in the same way as picking allstars. The screen could list the players that recently retired and show career stats, major awards, allstar appearances, championships, etc. Then allow us to pick from the screen one of 3 options....

Yes.
No.

also include the wait time that all major league players have to wait in the game. I think this allows for some time to pass so that you can truely decided the Yes/No question as well as just being more realistic to how the process is done in MLB.
thats a terrific idea

The ASFL

22 different games, 9 sports. Please check out the website (www.theasfl.com/asfl2/). The league is free- if you're interested please fill out the signup form and/or email the commissioner.

Miami Talons (ABL): 2004, 2005 & 2008 Champs
theasfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 08:13 PM   #23
Kelric
Hall Of Famer

One day to sort through the recently retired would be perfect. As it stands, guys generally retire in groups twice - immediately following the season and then on January 1st. Gets aggravating combing through both news releases looking for a name that stands out that might be HoF worthy. A screen with a listing of all of them plus their stats would be awesome.

Edit - Go tell Markus about this for the first patch.
Kelric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 09:12 AM   #24
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Interesting link on who else played 2B when Aaron was in the Negro Leagues.

Negro Leagues Baseball eMuseum: Personal Profiles: Toni Stone

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 10:00 AM   #25
Comedian2004
Hall Of Famer

I am on the OOTP Beta team and Hank Aaron has been watched the past couple of days. Here are his stats from my last historical run. His career batting average was a little low, but a lot of factors can change that, as it is a historical run, with the AI in charge of everything. So, he did not play on the same team or ballpark, and he may have faced tougher pitchers, etc.

SIM: .244 with 648 home runs, 2122 RBIS, 12296 at bats.
IRL: .305 with 755 home runs, 2297 RBIS, 12364 at bats.

He played from 1954 to 1977, but because of injuries, played about 160 games left.

In his career, simwise, he mostly played RF, then CF, then later in his career he played some 1B. He played just 3 games at 2B and 1 game at SS and even one time, he went behind the plate. I am sure this was because he catcher got hurt and he may have been the best player to cover that spot.

Anytime you run a sim, the results will vary, as if they were dead on every season, what fun would that be?

While this example was not a picture perfect duplication of his season, it was pretty close, if you take into the account that he was injured a little more in the sim then in real life. Of course, you can always turn injuries off.

With the new version, a lot of work has been spent on the historicals, while it was great before, it will be even better this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariner and Giants Fan View Post
He ended up with 569 homeruns...not bad but I think that there are way too many injuries than there were in real life back in the 1950's thu the 1980's in OOTP.
Old 06-09-2008, 09:28 PM   #26
swampdragon
Hall Of Famer

Since you're on the beta team, this could be the place to air one of my minor gripes. It appears from my replays that all of the subjective ratings such as work ethic, greed, and durability are set randomly on import. That's really not the way it should be done, as the outstanding hallmark of many of the greatest players (like Aaron) was durability. I'm not sure quite what your alternatives would be, as you don't want to make all the part-timers injury prone, but at the minimum there should be a flag to give the players that missed no more than a couple of games the highest durability rating and possibly to give players with long careers decent work ethic ratings.
“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies." -- C.S. Lewis
swampdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 09:41 AM   #27
chimanbj
All Star Reserve

RE: Durability

I've found it to be almost impossible to get a guy like Cal Ripken to play all of the games in a season in the modern era, unless I play out all of the games, and act as commissioner to rule out any silly injuries that Cal would've played through.

It's not really a complaint, because Cal and Lou Gehrig were abnormal, as far as playing time goes, just an observation.
Old 06-10-2008, 10:01 AM   #28
swampdragon
Hall Of Famer

There's no question that the best way to achieve historical results in historical replays is to play out games or sim one day at a time, using commish powers to override stupid managerial decisions (such as playing Aaron at 2B or my personal favorite of moving Nap Lajoie to SS) and injuries to players who were never injured. Some players like their history relatively predictable (and with the influx of DMB players you'll see more of that) and some like a high degree of randomness. Those who like true to life replays can't just turn the simulator on and leave the room for an hour while five years go by. For best results, you have to pay attention and intervene when necessary.
“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies." -- C.S. Lewis
swampdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 11:12 AM   #29
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ootp8fan View Post

Yes.
No.

That is a damn cool idea.

Cryomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 02:35 PM   #30
Comedian2004
Hall Of Famer

All I can say is the beta team has let their opinions on this matter be known. (: Stay tuned for another week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimanbj View Post
RE: Durability

I've found it to be almost impossible to get a guy like Cal Ripken to play all of the games in a season in the modern era, unless I play out all of the games, and act as commissioner to rule out any silly injuries that Cal would've played through.

It's not really a complaint, because Cal and Lou Gehrig were abnormal, as far as playing time goes, just an observation.