Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: Historical Simulations

Old 06-19-2006, 11:18 PM   #41
Lee
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CONN CHRIS
Hey Lee:

Fidrych is a great favorite of mine as well. From what I have read, he bought a 100 acre farm in Marlborough Mass where he raises hogs and sells firewood. He married a waitress from a diner down the road and seems as happy as ever.

I saw him play in an exhibition game about ten years ago along with Bill Lee, Daulton Jones and some others. My favorite line from him was when he was trying one last time in the early eighties (I believe) to catch on with the Pawtucket Red Sox, a reporter asked him if he was bitter about the bad breaks he got in baseball.

His response was "Nah, it beats pumping gas."

I wish there were more like The Bird.
He was the best, a total laid back goofball. There should be more like him, never complained about his bad breaks, just happy he made it.

He relayed a story once about breaking into the spring training Stadium with his Girlfriend and having sex on the mound, because he was "just so happy" after they told him he made the Team. Classic stuff, no Limos, no Champagne, just get naked and hand me the resin bag!!
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 01:18 PM   #42
ctorg
Global Moderator

I've had a particular liking for Nap Lajoie ever since he was my star player on my Earl Weaver Baseball team in the eighties. I have a picture of me at 14 standing next to his plaque at the Baseball Hall of Fame. I was happy to read later on that he was a popular player who got along great with people. I hate when heroes or favorite players turn out to be creeps.

Coincidentally, I currently live two towns over from where he grew up in RI.

"When the trees blow back and forth, that's what makes the wind." - Steven Wright

Fjord emena pancreas thorax fornicate marmalade morpheme proteolysis smaxa cabana offal srue vitriol grope hallelujah lentils
ctorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 02:58 PM   #43
bccardon
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Keith Hernandez, Gary Carter,
bccardon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 05:55 PM   #44
Renner
Major Leagues

Some favorites:
Gavy Cravath
Bill "Wagon Tongue" Keister
Ty Cobb
Smead Jolly ... best name ever
Joe Wood ... as a personal note, he and my dad golfed many times together in the 1960s. Dad said he was a great golfer although well into his 70s. My dad was a huge baseball fan and knew who he was, but never talked baseball with him. I think Joe appreciated that.
Renner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 12:34 PM   #45
Jestor
Hall Of Famer

Shoeless Joe is my all-time favourite, without question.

Thanks for the Starffin link, CC. It'll go quite well with the paper I'm writing on Russian baseball.

How To Get A Warning:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxmagicman
Mal might have a name file you could use.
Jestor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 09:20 AM   #46
Jestre
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctorg
I've had a particular liking for Nap Lajoie ever since he was my star player on my Earl Weaver Baseball team in the eighties. I have a picture of me at 14 standing next to his plaque at the Baseball Hall of Fame. I was happy to read later on that he was a popular player who got along great with people. I hate when heroes or favorite players turn out to be creeps.

Coincidentally, I currently live two towns over from where he grew up in RI.

Shouldnt hurt that he was from Woonsocket RI either as was Gabby Hartnett.
Old 06-24-2006, 10:52 AM   #47
StyxNCa
Hall Of Famer

Being a Washington Senators fan, Walter Johnson is my all time favorite. I found out a few years ago that a good friend my older brother had in high school, whom I had met many times, Henry Thomas, is the grandson of Walter Johnson. If I had only known back then because I would have loved seeing the memorabilia. Next would be my childhood idol, Frank Howard, who I got to meet once.

#1: Walter Johnson
#2: Frank Howard
#3: Christy Mathewson
#4: Nap Lajoie
#5: Roberto Clemente
#6: Lou Gehrig
#7: Tony Oliva
#8: Juan Marichal
#9: Ernie Banks
#10: Willie Mays

Last edited by StyxNCa; 06-24-2006 at 10:57 AM.
StyxNCa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 07:31 PM   #48
scott1964
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lastplaneout
Bill Lee
I forgot about Bill "Spaceman" Lee

Others include: Rod Carew, Steve Rogers, Cy Young, John McGraw, jimmy Williams, Joe McGinnity, and Kid Nichols.

scott1964 is offline   Reply With Quote