Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > Suggestions for Future OOTP Versions

Suggestions for Future OOTP Versions Post suggestions for the next version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 10-13-2020, 11:43 AM   #1
La La La Linoleum
Minors (Double A)

(Probably Not) Definitive List of Possible Improvements I'd Like to See in OOTP 22

I have been having so much fun customizing every detail of my OOTP 21 game. Despite having spent more than five hundred hours with this year’s game it is very possible I have spent just as much time creating custom logos and jerseys, contemplating stadium dimensions, creating card templates, skimming the forums, and working on OOTP related spreadsheets. During this time, I have channeled my excitement for OOTP 22 into logging every idea for things I would like to see over the past month. Here is my probably not definitive list of suggestions for improvements in OOTP 22:

Quality of Life Improvements
o The ability to sort and filter shop a player results the same way you can the all players page and the ability to filter so only shortlisted players appear when shopping a player.
o The ability to shop/shop for draft picks (toggleable to not overwhelm the results every time, and only showing top pick a team would be willing to trade)
o A page that lists all players in world, like the all players in league page
o Ability to edit coach’s player development skill in the editor when playing in commissioner mode
o A simple but powerful schedule creation wizard for custom leagues in the game

Statistics and Ratings That I Would Like to See (I understand that due to how hits are calculated in OOTP some of these may not make sense)
o A rating indicating mental fortitude that increases accuracy as scout sees more games where the player is used in high leverage situations. This would help choose which pitchers to use in high leverage situations and which to use only when up big
o xFIP
o UZR and UZR+
o xWOBA
o More Prominent display of STATCAST data including exit velo

Uniforms
o At least one alternate uniform slot with editable rules on when to use it
o Formattable Jersey numbers and names
o Editable Socks and Pants
o Pitchers Jackets

Fields
o Be able to edit foul territory walls and depths in 3D ballpark construction kit with customizable values and calculated impact on flyouts in foul territory and ballpark factors
o Outfield hills and obstacles a la Tal’s Hill with associated fielding difficulties and ballpark factors
o The ability to choose to have bullpens in play a la Oakland and Tampa Bay
o Domes, retractable roofs, weather, and AstroTurf should have an impact on ballpark factors when clicking recalculate. (This is probably how it is supposed to work now but ballpark factors don’t change when I hit recalculate)
o In 3D construction kit the elements can be hidden by higher walls so the ability to raise or lower elements would be interesting to try

Graphical Changes
o More ability to mod, edit, and customize game skins
o In Games
• Pitchers warm-up in bullpen graphically
• Objects (like the homerun apple in Citi Field) react to homeruns and the ability for modders to create parks with similar features
• Ability to drag and drop game coverage elements (weather, out of town scores, pitch locator, etc) around the screen
• Randomize which uniform gets used for FaceGen pictures on a player’s profile

Baseball Cards
o Token or Variant for Rookie cards
o Randomized 1-2 sentence writeup of interesting info or random factoids about players that can be inserted as a token for the back of cards.
o Award name tokens
o The ability to curve text (This may be an XML limitation)
o Other advanced text formatting options
o Horizontal rule tag implementation
o Action shots (This one is probably a FaceGen limitation)
o More stats tokens
o More customizable random number generator
o The ability to use the same random number more than once
o The ability to have a text color chosen from a preset list based on a random number

(a little bit) Out of Left Field
o Occasional interviews with minor impact on fans, owner, and team or player morale, interest and expectations similar to Football Manager
o Have large markets and their associated media have impacts on some player’s performance and on whether players choose to stay come contract year.
o Introduce a rivalry system with some impact on player performance, fan interest, ticket sales, etc.

Last edited by La La La Linoleum; 10-13-2020 at 03:26 PM.
La La La Linoleum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 12:27 AM   #2
jasg224
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by La La La Linoleum View Post
• Ability to drag and drop game coverage elements (weather, out of town scores, pitch locator, etc) around the screen
This you can do already if you go to View(top right) and uncheck "Automatically set up widgets." This will allow you to drag the widgets to your hearts content. You can even move the pitcher and batter boxes that usually appear at the bottom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by La La La Linoleum View Post
o A rating indicating mental fortitude that increases accuracy as scout sees more games where the player is used in high leverage situations. This would help choose which pitchers to use in high leverage situations and which to use only when up big

Ayyy, I saw your comment on my thread lol. I just wanted to add: I think this is great because for example closers are not only the pitchers with the best stuff but also the ones that have the mental strength to close out a tight game. But there is also much more you can do with a rating like this for example slumps (when they get into one and if/when they get out), playoff performance, etc.
Old 10-20-2020, 08:47 AM   #3
La La La Linoleum
Minors (Double A)

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasg224 View Post
This you can do already if you go to View(top right) and uncheck "Automatically set up widgets." This will allow you to drag the widgets to your hearts content. You can even move the pitcher and batter boxes that usually appear at the bottom.
Thank you! I never knew that, you know I'll be working hard to find the optimal screen layout from now on.
Old 10-24-2020, 09:45 AM   #4
La La La Linoleum
Minors (Double A)

Making this list closer to definitive

Some additional features I'd be interested in seeing:
  • When parent teams are promoted/relegated the game should try to promote and relegate minor league affiliates to the appropriate minor league (if it exists)
  • Saving information on team promotion/relegation in a cleaner way: In the league history all teams teams are listed as having been a part of the league since it's creation even if they were promoted or relegated into the league sometime afterwards. There are other small discrepancies like this for teams that have been promoted or relegated.
  • The ability to retire your manager/gm character and continue as a new one in the same save
  • Previous years functionality for [%TEAM_NAME], [%TEAM_NICK], and [%LEAGUE_NAME] tokens
  • A token for win percentage as a baseball card stat
  • Ability to randomly insert one of a number of created strings, perhaps from a text document stored in a sub-folder of bb_cards/templates
  • Manager Cards
  • I really liked the idea of having more relationships between players that impact where they want to play as in this thread "Additional family connections in OOTP" by siobhan

Check out my Card Templates!
Topps:1971 1972 1973

Last edited by La La La Linoleum; 10-24-2020 at 05:34 PM. Reason: Added 4 more
Old 11-02-2020, 10:04 AM   #5
La La La Linoleum
Minors (Double A)

Updated List (3 new entries, ordered by importance to me, removed items in the game already)

I've taken the liberty of updating the list to remove items that are already in the game, add a few new items, and get everything in one place, organized, and ordered so the top items in each category are the things I would like first. I have colored anything I haven't mentioned in this thread yet blue. Please let me know what you think and tell me if anything on here is already possible, that's a gift to me.

Quality of Life Improvements
  • The ability to sort and filter shop a player results the same way you can the all players page and the ability to filter so only shortlisted players appear when shopping a player.
  • The ability to shop/shop for draft picks (toggleable to not overwhelm the results every time, and only showing top pick a team would be willing to trade)
  • A page that lists all players in world, like the all players in league page
  • The ability to retire your manager/gm character and continue as a new one in the same save
  • When parent teams are promoted/relegated the game should try to promote and relegate minor league affiliates to the appropriate minor league (if it exists)
  • Saving information on team promotion/relegation in a cleaner way: In the league history all teams are listed as having been a part of the league since its creation even if they were promoted or relegated into the league sometime afterwards. There are other small discrepancies like this for teams that have been promoted or relegated.
  • The ability to start a new save with the same league set-up (including teams, stadiums, league settings, etc.) but set to a different start year. So that all the settings I’ve tweaked since the league was founded can be preserved when starting with a clean slate.
  • Ability to edit coach’s player development skill in the editor when playing in commissioner mode
  • A simple but powerful schedule creation wizard for custom leagues in the game

Statistics and Ratings That I Would Like to See (I understand that due to how hits are calculated in OOTP some of these may not make sense)
  • xFIP
  • xWOBA
  • A rating indicating mental fortitude that increases accuracy as scout sees more games where the player is used in high leverage situations. This would help choose which pitchers to use in high leverage situations and which to use only when up big
  • UZR and UZR+
  • More Prominent display of STATCAST data including exit velo

Uniforms
  • At least one alternate uniform slot with editable rules on when to use it
  • Formattable Jersey numbers and names
  • Editable Socks and Pants
  • Randomize which uniform gets used for FaceGen pictures on a player’s profile
  • Pitchers Jackets

Fields
  • Be able to edit foul territory walls and depths in 3D ballpark construction kit with customizable values and calculated impact on flyouts in foul territory and ballpark factors
  • Domes, retractable roofs, weather, and AstroTurf should have an impact on ballpark factors when clicking recalculate. (This is probably how it is supposed to work now but ballpark factors don’t change when I hit recalculate)
  • Outfield hills and obstacles a la Tal’s Hill with associated fielding difficulties and ballpark factors
  • The ability to choose to have bullpens in play a la Oakland and Tampa Bay
  • In 3D construction kit the elements can be hidden by higher walls so the ability to raise or lower elements would be interesting to try

Graphical Changes
  • More ability to mod, edit, and customize game skins
  • Logos for each sub-league
    In Games
  • Pitchers warm-up in bullpen graphically
  • Objects (like the homerun apple in Citi Field) react to homeruns and the ability for modders to create parks with similar features

Baseball Cards
  • Token or Variant for Rookie cards
  • Randomized 1-2 sentence writeup of interesting info or random factoids about players that can be inserted as a token for the back of cards.
  • More stats tokens (missing stats I’ve wanted to match real cards: win%, total chances, put outs, assists, fielding percentage)
  • Action shots (This one is probably a FaceGen limitation)
  • Award name tokens
  • The ability to display text vertically
  • The ability to curve text (This may be an XML limitation)
  • Other advanced text formatting options
  • Horizontal rule tag implementation
  • More customizable random number generator
  • The ability to use the same random number more than once
  • The ability to have a text color chosen from a preset list based on a random number
  • Previous years functionality for [%TEAM_NAME], [%TEAM_NICK], and [%LEAGUE_NAME] tokens
  • More contextual editing options, including the ability to randomly, or based on tokens, insert one of a number of created strings, perhaps from a text document stored in a sub-folder of bb_cards/templates

(a little bit) Out of Left Field
  • Occasional interviews with minor impact on fans, owner, and team or player morale, interest and expectations similar to Football Manager
  • Have large markets and their associated media have impacts on some player’s performance and on whether players choose to stay come contract year.
  • Introduce a rivalry system with some impact on player performance, fan interest, ticket sales, etc.
  • I really liked the idea of having more relationships between players that impact where they want to play as in this thread "Additional family connections in OOTP" by siobhan
  • A beautiful backend database editor to powerfully tweak every last detail of our saves

Check out my Card Templates!
Topps:1971 1972 1973

Last edited by La La La Linoleum; 11-03-2020 at 10:42 PM. Reason: Of course I came up with more things, or more accurately found a note I left myself that I had lost