Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 18 > OOTP 18 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 18 - General Discussions Everything about the 2017 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 11-30-2017, 10:35 PM   #1
krownroyal83
All Star Reserve

Too many good players going to free agency

I'm playing a customer league and it's crazy how many players have reached free agency. Too many to count. In a 10 team league there are like two dozen 4/3.5 star players and a few 5/4.5 players that are now free agents. One of the teams as of the free agency fillings has 4 players currently contacted, 4! Is this normal for either real life or at least when you play a MLB save? Even the team that just won back to back championships just dropped their ace with 61m for free agents and 103m for extensions.
krownroyal83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 10:44 PM   #2
jmknpk2
All Star Reserve

There's a lot to guess at. Can you provide some specific details about your league settings?
jmknpk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 10:59 PM   #3
krownroyal83
All Star Reserve

Sure. Anything in particular I should be looking at? Most of the settings are gonna be default. I only changed a few things. Nothing in the way of financials though.
Old 11-30-2017, 11:04 PM   #4
jmknpk2
All Star Reserve

You just set up a fictional league with the defaults, only changing teams and league structure?
jmknpk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 11:16 PM   #5
krownroyal83
All Star Reserve

Looking at the league settings I didn't change much at all really. So in general is it not common for a lot of good/great players to make it to free agency?
Old 11-30-2017, 11:20 PM   #6
reds1
Hall Of Famer

Just a thought - if you hold an annual amateur draft, how many rounds is it set at? If you have it set for a lot of rounds, perhaps its creating an overabundance of players - and good players at that.
Old 11-30-2017, 11:26 PM   #7
krownroyal83
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by reds1 View Post
Just a thought - if you hold an annual amateur draft, how many rounds is it set at? If you have it set for a lot of rounds, perhaps its creating an overabundance of players - and good players at that.
Well I think originally it was set to 5 rounds, but I changed it to 10 rounds to insure there were going to be enough players in the league just in case i expanded again. However like I was saying one team currently only has 4 guys under contract now (expansion team) as of free agency so i'm sure all these guys or a lot of them are going to get picked up. I'm just surprised that a lot of these guys where not re-signed by their club.
Old 11-30-2017, 11:34 PM   #8
RchW
Hall Of Famer

How many seasons has the league been run?

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 11:36 PM   #9
krownroyal83
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
How many seasons has the league been run?
2nd season just ended. So i'm on free agency day just about to start season 3.
Old 11-30-2017, 11:57 PM   #10
RchW
Hall Of Famer

That may be the problem. The AI has no player performance history to evaluate. It is suggested that newly formed leagues should be simulated through the first FA cycle ie 6 years minimum in order to correct this. Some people run 10-15-20 years and then delete league history (not the same) to get a running start.

FWIW.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 12:02 AM   #11
krownroyal83
All Star Reserve

Oh really? Hopefully it's something that can be fixed in ootp 19 or something. well I'm not gonna sim ahead 5 to 10 years to correct it so I guess i'm just gonna have to suck it up Thanks for the tip though. I will do that next time I make a custom league if need be.
Old 12-01-2017, 04:16 AM   #12
sprague
All Star Starter

I have seen this as a major problem as well. No matter the league size, tons go to free agency. Many teams get decimated, 10 of their 25 man roster become free agents, all their 4 and 3 star players are gone.
In one 16 team league I play you can have at 50 5 or 4 star players in the off season.
I have had to bump the arbit time to 8 years to keep some players on their teams at the end of a season.
I agree this is a high priority area for developers to examine for 19
sprague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 06:39 AM   #13
Dr. P.R. Park III
All Star Reserve

I suggest restoring from a back-up if possible and before beginning the sim, wipe the service time for all players in the universe.

This should start everyone out with 0 years to build from scratch, then I'd simulate maybe 5 seasons into the future and check the status.
Dr. P.R. Park III is offline   Reply With Quote