Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 15 > OOTP 15 - General Discussions

OOTP 15 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2014 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 06-11-2014, 07:20 PM   #1
tejdog1
All Star Starter

Draft and "Impossible" Signs

I drafted a 4th rounder out of college, a junior, who had the "impossible" tag on him, along with a demand of $1.1m. Now, since I basically burned the Mets down to the ground (traided everyone, and I mean everyone), I had no problem hitting that "meet demand" button - but he replied "Sorry, still not enough, muhahahahahaha sucker!"

Um, what. How the hell is me giving him what he wants not enough? This was first offer. ??? How is that a good design?
How I turn my head and lose it all

And it's unnerving
How just one move puts me by myself
There you go just trusting someone else
Now I know I put us both through hell

~Matchbox 20, "Leave"

Everyone knows it's spelled "TRAID", not trade
tejdog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 07:36 PM   #2
azepeda
Minors (Double A)

To sign those that say "impossible" you have to double their asking price.
azepeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 10:00 PM   #3
mgom27
Hall Of Famer

For MLB I would set Purchased person to like 99999999999999999 just so impossible for any my people to get purchased because I have and the Cardinals are in last place.
Old 06-11-2014, 10:27 PM   #4
olivertheorem
All Star Starter

I figured "impossible" meant "no way in heck I'm signing with you ever, I'd rather go wash cars."
olivertheorem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 12:59 AM   #5
Rockfan616
Minors (Triple A)

Most of the time if you go a little more than what they ask for, you will be able to sign that player. If the asking price is $1.1 million, I would go around $1.5 and see what happens. It worked for me in the amateur draft last season, so see if it works for you.
Rockfan616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 08:57 AM   #6
mgom27
Hall Of Famer

Also if you want the person to sign with you and hasn't last day they can just turn on Commissioner Mode and Edit him and put him on one of your Minor League Teams.
Old 06-12-2014, 02:39 PM   #7
OzzieFan
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockfan616 View Post
Most of the time if you go a little more than what they ask for, you will be able to sign that player. If the asking price is $1.1 million, I would go around $1.5 and see what happens. It worked for me in the amateur draft last season, so see if it works for you.
I can see everyone's point here now... however it isn't intuitive. If they are demanding a certain amount then that is what they should sign for. They shouldn't demand an amount and that not be enough. It's silly.
OzzieFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 03:12 PM   #8
pjh5165
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzieFan View Post
I can see everyone's point here now... however it isn't intuitive. If they are demanding a certain amount then that is what they should sign for. They shouldn't demand an amount and that not be enough. It's silly.
It's no more silly than drafting a player who is "impossible to sign" and expecting to be able to sign them with one click of a button. They should be in the impossible to sign category for a reason.
pjh5165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 03:29 PM   #9
SirMichaelJordan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjh5165 View Post
It's no more silly than drafting a player who is "impossible to sign" and expecting to be able to sign them with one click of a button. They should be in the impossible to sign category for a reason.
Lol true. Should make impossible demands something highly unrealistic in future releases.

But the narrative would probably be "why does this 5th round pick want 10mil"
SirMichaelJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 03:30 PM   #10
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzieFan View Post
How is "impossible" to sign not intuitive? Such things happen IRL.

The demand is designed to discourage offers first and to drive them up second.

RichW

#stopthestupid

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 02:23 PM   #11
sawchuk
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Key to is that often they cut off negotiations immediately - so you meet demand (which I think is covered above) but then there is no negotiation - whereas with Int'l FA's you can go back and forth for quite a while!?
sawchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 02:45 PM   #12
byzeil
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirMichaelJordan View Post
Lol true. Should make impossible demands something highly unrealistic in future releases.

But the narrative would probably be "why does this 5th round pick want 10mil"
Actually the demand should be blank. If they are saying they are not going to sign there should be no demand. Now if you want to throw something at them and it is high enough then maybe they'll accept but 'Impossible' to sign players really shouldn't even put a number out there. The not so reasonably high demand should come from the guy that will be 'very hard' to sign.

Last edited by byzeil; 06-13-2014 at 02:47 PM.
byzeil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 03:24 PM   #13
ctorg
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by byzeil View Post
Actually the demand should be blank. If they are saying they are not going to sign there should be no demand. Now if you want to throw something at them and it is high enough then maybe they'll accept but 'Impossible' to sign players really shouldn't even put a number out there. The not so reasonably high demand should come from the guy that will be 'very hard' to sign.
Yes, this is what I think makes the most sense.

"When the trees blow back and forth, that's what makes the wind." - Steven Wright

Fjord emena pancreas thorax fornicate marmalade morpheme proteolysis smaxa cabana offal srue vitriol grope hallelujah lentils
ctorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 03:27 PM   #14
endgame
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by byzeil View Post
Not to go all Wolf-like, but yes, I second that. In fact, on my way to convey that concept now. Good idea.
Old 06-13-2014, 05:35 PM   #15
Germaniac
Hall Of Famer

This is stupid ... As a college or HS player ... I either would not sign at all, or I would set an atronomical amount to sign.

But I saw players in my leagues ask for a signing bonus of $ 300,000 and not even sign for $ 600,000.

If the player demanded 3 mill. I would understand - but no player would ask for 300,000 and then not sign for 600,000.

That "impossible" sign should be removed, definitely
that might not be a satisfactory answer.

Happy Chandler, 1947
Germaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 05:46 PM   #16
BusterKing
Hall Of Famer

"Nearly impossible" should actually be the wording. Lets face it, IRL some were considered impossible and did end up signing.
BusterKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 12:06 PM   #17
ralphwiggum41
Bat Boy

I see a couple of tangible suggestions in this thread. One person says you have to offer them double. Another guy says you have to offer them some amount above their asking price, but less than double.

Anyone gather any more info about this since June? I'm in my first draft and see a lot of "impossible" guys out there for the taking.

Thanks!
ralphwiggum41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 12:35 PM   #18
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by endgame View Post
Not to go all Wolf-like, but yes, I second that.
I third that. In a very Wolf-like manner.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 12:41 PM   #19
jpeters1734
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusterKing View Post
"Nearly impossible" should actually be the wording. Lets face it, IRL some were considered impossible and did end up signing.
Pirates and Josh Bell

Founder and League Caretaker of the Professional Baseball Circuit, www.probaseballcircuit.com

An Un-Official Guide to Minor League Management in OOTP 21

Ratings Scale Conversion Cross-Reference Cheat Sheet
jpeters1734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 11:56 PM   #20
Amazin69
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Googled up this topic and was pleased to find that "impossible" isn't quite so. As I usually spend almost nothing on draftees (avoid ones with strict bonus demands), I can afford to overpay for one or two where it comes out as "slot"/"impossible"…since the "slot" doesn't exist past Round 5 anyway.

As far as "impossible" signings IRL, in his book, Dallas Green writes that everybody was convinced Ryne Sandberg was going to college, which is why he was still on the board when the Phillies took him in the 20th round of the 1980 draft. The local scout (Bill Harper, Bryce's grandad) worked some magic, and not so impossible after all. Of course, Green had to trade for Sandberg to get him again, since by the time Ryno was ready, Green had moved to the Cubs, but still.

And Keith Hernandez had quit his high school baseball team over conflicts with the coach and was just playing American Legion ball, and everyone was convinced that Keith was going to take a football scholarship (wide receiver, offers from Cal, Navy, and Air Force), which is how he was still available in the 51st round of whatever draft the Cardinals took a chance on him in. (1971, I think.)
Amazin69 is online now   Reply With Quote