Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 09-24-2014, 11:31 PM   #1
BKL
All Star Reserve

Do you like OOTP better than live Baseball?

What do you like best, playing OOTP or watching live baseball? Personally, I enjoy OOTP over real baseball! Anyone else feel the same way? I realize there somewhat different, but generally speaking I'd rather "watch" an OOTP game than most regular season baseball games.
BKL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 11:41 PM   #2
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 1/0 (0)
I prefer OOTP these days. In three hours I can sim a month of game time vs watching a game. Three hours these days is a lot for me to give up and often I find myself playing OOTP or other type games that don't need my full attention while I watch sports.
rudel.dietrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 02:08 PM   #3
mickey7
Minors (Double A)

OOTP by a wide margin !
mickey7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 03:21 PM   #4
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

I am certainly much better at OOTP than I am at live baseball. Oh, you said "watching" live baseball. Never mind then.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 04:35 PM   #5
canadiancreed
Hall Of Famer

Watching live ball in person > OOTP
OOTP > watching ball on tv
OOTP > MLB period.

PT22

canadiancreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 04:48 PM   #6
ra7c7er
All Star Starter

Yes I do.

I can't even remember the last time I watched an entire baseball game on tv. It would have had to have been before my grandpa passed away and that was over 10 years ago.

I also haven't been to a game in more than that long. I went to a Cardinals game when I was a sophomore in high school and that was the last time for a MLB game.

As for other sports and MiLB games I go a few times a year.
ra7c7er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 05:30 PM   #7
mpejkrm
All Star Reserve

I buy the MLB.tv package every year but only watch Pirates games and the occasional Twins game. And 90% of the time I'm playing some sort of PC game/doing work at the same time. Games are long and difficult for me to focus.
mpejkrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 05:35 PM   #8
RchW
Hall Of Famer

To me real and OOTP baseball are symbiotic organisms. The offseason in real baseball reminds me of the dustbowl in the 1930's.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 10:59 AM   #9
Super Utility Guy
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I enjoy watching a MLB game while playing OOTP. Whenever I watch a MLB game on TV I get the urge to play OOTP. It's like being up in the middle of the night watching some infomercial on a cooking product and then getting hungry so you get a midnight snack.
Super Utility Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 11:32 AM   #10
Izz
Hall Of Famer

I don't have the opportunity to watch any games here in NZ. A few times i've tried watching webcasts, but i get kinda bored. Webcast v OOTP, OOTP every time.

A brief history of the Australia-New Zealand Baseball League (AUNZBL 2019-2119)--A Dynasty Report
The National Penterham Four-Bases Association--A Dynasty Report
Izz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 12:23 AM   #11
Eric
All Star Starter

The nice thing about OOTP is that you can quickly sim to the next day, month or season instead of having to wait it out in real time.

As for broadcast, I find it difficult just sitting and watching the game. Part of me wants to do something at the same time - especially early in the ballgame. If it's tied in the eight inning, then that's something else.

Also, I prefer listening to the radio broadcast than watching it live. The radio announcers have to keep talking to avoid dead air. So they wind up telling anecdotes or talking about miscellaneous topics. It's like hanging with a couple of guys. I even used to watch the game on TV with the sound down and listen it on the radio.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 01:50 AM   #12
jpeters1734
Hall Of Famer

Lol I am shocked that there hasn't been one person to say live baseball. For me, it depends on the live baseball. It's got to be the pirates and a good matchup.

Founder and League Caretaker of the Professional Baseball Circuit, www.probaseballcircuit.com

An Un-Official Guide to Minor League Management in OOTP 21

Ratings Scale Conversion Cross-Reference Cheat Sheet
jpeters1734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 06:49 PM   #13
Nitrovenge
Banned

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
I enjoy watching high school and little league baseball. College is OK. MLB just plain bores me to tears. OOTP is a lot of fun.
Nitrovenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 10:53 PM   #14
cephasjames
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeters1734 View Post
Lol I am shocked that there hasn't been one person to say live baseball. For me, it depends on the live baseball. It's got to be the pirates and a good matchup.
Live baseball all the way. I love what I can get from OOTP, but it can never give me the feel of the game I get from the actual thing.
Pre-OOTP 23 Custom Cap & Jersey Template v3.0 by Deft and NoPepper (with layers from other various artists) that I use: Caps, Jerseys
cephasjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 03:37 AM   #15
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeters1734 View Post
Live baseball if I'm actually at the park. No doubt about that! On TV, well, OOTP may be better
Lukas Berger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 03:38 AM   #16
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrovenge View Post
I enjoy watching high school and little league baseball. College is OK. MLB just plain bores me to tears. OOTP is a lot of fun.
I love college ball. I love any ball, but college is my favorite without a doubt. D1 is great but I also really enjoy watching D2 ball, especially when I can make it to the games
Lukas Berger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 02:35 PM   #17
Postman
Major Leagues

The real thing by a country mile.

OOTP is the best Baseball simulation ever, but it is just a simulation.
Postman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 05:40 PM   #18
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Let's see. In OOTPB, I can:
  • Eliminate cheating, particularly the use of PED's.
  • Wish away the negative effects of money and media on baseball.
  • Encourage players to stay with teams longer, building team identities.
  • Not have to watch stupid and irresponsible car and beer commercials.
But no, live baseball is better. Live baseball is real and it matters, while OOTPB is only a computer game. One that I love, but only virtual reality.

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 10:20 PM   #19
Tram2Whitaker
All Star Reserve

I love watching live baseball, but I have to say that OOTP has some definite advantages. For one, I can play for years and years on the same OOTP game I ordered for $49.95 ( I usually get it at launch, but only every other year), whereas I have to pay per game to see it live. On a related note, I'm thankful for minor league ball; when I lived in Sarasota, I could watch Wednesday night games for $1.

Baseball has not nearly been as much fun since I've had kids. I've tried to get them into the game, but they just aren't. When we go to the ballpark, they all want concessions, after the game started (and you know that's $50 I did not want to spend), and then they want to leave by the third inning. What's more, if it's a bore of a game, I can't heckle the visiting team; because I'm setting a "bad example" (I know you're not coming into the game batting .148! What do you do? Bowl for a living?)

A game of OOTP can be played in 15 minutes, paused indefinitely, or taken into the next room, where they won't mind you heckling the players.
Old 12-04-2014, 11:24 PM   #20
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

You know what's an even better thing about OOTPB that I just thought of (although it will never take the place of live baseball)? I just realized that winter is just around the corner. Live baseball is at least three months away. OOTPB is available all this coming weekend, and TGIF tomorrow!

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote