Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions

Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions General chat about the game...

Old 03-11-2013, 10:45 PM   #1
Garethw87

Why isn't OOTPB in German?

As the title says? I obviously understand that the game is aimed at the American market but being a German company why isn't it in German too?

I know baseball isn't all that popular in German but some of the games you find in Saturn and other stores are ridcolous! Woodcutting Simulator, S-Bahn Simulator (< Looks good this one though!) and so on
Old 03-12-2013, 07:02 AM   #2
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

I assume they figure that it's not worth the time to translate for a handful of extra sales. If they could translate it into Spanish or Japanese they might get a lot more sales. Of course the team don't speak either of those language.

Cryomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:54 AM   #3
Pronkytonk
Minors (Double A)

Another reason might be that you cannot translate baseball terms such as batting average, home run or stolen base into german without making everything sound completely ridiculous - I once stopped watching baseball on german pay TV while I could not turn off the german PbP and it was sooo stupid I could not stand it.

Last edited by Pronkytonk; 03-12-2013 at 10:55 AM.
Pronkytonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:26 PM   #4
Garethw87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomaniac View Post
I assume they figure that it's not worth the time to translate for a handful of extra sales. If they could translate it into Spanish or Japanese they might get a lot more sales. Of course the team don't speak either of those language.
I guess these two languages would make the most sense. I noticed a thread about somebody trying to translate to Spanish on his own but there was just too much for him to do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pronkytonk View Post
Another reason might be that you cannot translate baseball terms such as batting average, home run or stolen base into german without making everything sound completely ridiculous - I once stopped watching baseball on german pay TV while I could not turn off the german PbP and it was sooo stupid I could not stand it.
You really turned it off haha? I'd have thought they'd just switch to English to use baseball terms
Old 03-12-2013, 03:39 PM   #5
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garethw87 View Post
I guess these two languages would make the most sense. I noticed a thread about somebody trying to translate to Spanish on his own but there was just too much for him to do
It would be quite a project, for sure.

Old 03-12-2013, 04:22 PM   #6
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Text translation is very tough. There is no similarity between verbal translation and text. There's a reason some translators get $100/hr.

Even if OOTP were translated to Spanish there would be a question (and a danger) of local idiom and definition. A Mexican friend once used a common word to call a waitress which turned out to be derogatory wherever he was.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 04:26 PM   #7
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Baseball terminology in French is well established in Quebec. The long history and association with Baseball there made this possible.

I'd expect that Spanish PbP/terminology is also well established in the Americas.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:16 PM   #8
mp33
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Thank god for ESPN America and MLB.tv. No more "Schlagdurchschnitt" (batting average), "Werfer" (pitcher) or "gestohlene Base" (stolen base).

I think the terms wouldn't be the big problem. Some people use these words, especially when introducing baseball to newcomers or in some ballparks if an announcer is present. But I'm playing baseball for 10 years now and in my team we barely use the German terms. Same for some other teams I know. Not sure if this applies to all teams in Germany but I think the biggest problem would be grammar :P

Legacy Baseball League - Philadelphia Brewers
- former -
United States of Baseball - Houston Defenders
British Baseball Society - Northumbria 1530
mp33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:43 PM   #9
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
I'd expect that Spanish PbP/terminology is also well established in the Americas.
I'd assume so, since baseball is popular in a lot of Latin American countries. I'm guessing the same applies to Japan (but with Japanese, obviously)

Old 03-13-2013, 08:56 PM   #10
oman19
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp33 View Post
Thank god for ESPN America and MLB.tv. No more "Schlagdurchschnitt" (batting average), "Werfer" (pitcher) or "gestohlene Base" (stolen base).
After hearing that I would kill to sit in on a meeting between Markus and Andreas.

"How do those gestohlene base totals look Andreas?"

"Well Markus they look good but for some reason there are to many 2-pitch werfers."

"Alight Andreas I'll look at that after I get my league Schlagdurchshnitt in line"

My OOTP wishlist: http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...-wishlist.html
oman19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:29 PM   #11
D-BacksJosh
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by oman19 View Post
After hearing that I would kill to sit in on a meeting between Markus and Andreas.

"How do those gestohlene base totals look Andreas?"

"Well Markus they look good but for some reason there are to many 2-pitch werfers."

"Alight Andreas I'll look at that after I get my league Schlagdurchshnitt in line"

hey, watch the language!
D-BacksJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 05:43 PM   #12
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Don't forget the headache-inducing "Wurfhügel" (mound)

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.
Westheim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 06:37 AM   #13
Andreas Raht
Administrator

Quick number for the interested reader: From all our sales of all our products since year 2000, 0.8% where made in Germany. And Germany is #6 on the list which starts with USA, Canada, United Kingdom, Korea, Australia, Germany.
In the USA we made 85% of our overall sales.
So making a German version of OOTP is way too much work and makes no sense at all - sorry German baseball fans!
Andreas Raht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 03:49 AM   #14
Germaniac
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I think the terms wouldn't be the big problem. Some people use these words, especially when introducing baseball to newcomers or in some ballparks if an announcer is present. But I'm playing baseball for 10 years now and in my team we barely use the German terms. Same for some other teams I know. Not sure if this applies to all teams in Germany but I think the biggest problem would be grammar :P
The worst I ever heard ... "frozen rope to right field" turned to "Er schlägt einen Eiskragen ins rechte Feld" ...

If you don't turn off after that ...
that might not be a satisfactory answer.

Happy Chandler, 1947
Germaniac is offline   Reply With Quote