Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 21 > OOTP 21 - General Discussions

OOTP 21 - General Discussions Everything about the brand new version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB and the MLBPA.

Old 03-30-2020, 06:50 PM   #1
oldgeezer
Bat Boy

What laptop should I buy for OOTP 21?

I'm not technologically inclined and I'm looking for a laptop that OOTP would run well on. I had a 2017 Macbook pro that went kaput this morning and I'm looking for a replacement.

I run a full world with most foreign leagues and a few of the leagues have feeders too. This ran smoothly on my Macbook but I tried running it on my work PC and it was very slow. My guess is because my work PC is from 2014 and isn't designed for anything more than sending emails and running tax-prep software.

So what laptop do you recommend I buy? I was thinking about shelling about money for the newest Mac but I think that's overkill when all I really need it for is to browse the web and OOTP. I'm sure there are PCs with similar specs to a Mac that are a little cheaper and that this game runs well on? Again, I'm not too great with the newest technology so any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks again and stay safe!
oldgeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 02:22 AM   #2
jimmysthebestcop
Banned

Infractions: 0/2 (5)
I can recommend some general all purpose laptop specs.

You want at least a quad core processor, at least 16gb ram, and the biggest ssd you can afford or need. screen make sure it is at least full hd at 1080p.

Most of the 6 core processor laptops are for real gaming so will come with a mod to high end nvidia mobile card this will add $$$. Your probably talking about $1000-$1300.

Which is why I said go for the quad core. Usually around an intel 7th gen to intel 10th gen chip. Something like the Intel i7-8565U is pretty standard. That with 16gb ram and a 250gb ssd should cost around $600-$800 depending on where you live and where you buy from.

If you can find refurbished even better. If you live near a Microcenter you are all set. Just go there.
jimmysthebestcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 03:07 AM   #3
qcbandits
Banned

Infractions: 0/4 (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmysthebestcop View Post
I can recommend some general all purpose laptop specs.

You want at least a quad core processor, at least 16gb ram, and the biggest ssd you can afford or need. screen make sure it is at least full hd at 1080p.

Most of the 6 core processor laptops are for real gaming so will come with a mod to high end nvidia mobile card this will add $$$. Your probably talking about $1000-$1300.

Which is why I said go for the quad core. Usually around an intel 7th gen to intel 10th gen chip. Something like the Intel i7-8565U is pretty standard. That with 16gb ram and a 250gb ssd should cost around $600-$800 depending on where you live and where you buy from.

If you can find refurbished even better. If you live near a Microcenter you are all set. Just go there.
Overkill

I run OOTP with all the default leagues, a 300+ team NCAA feeder, a 100+ HS feeder. I added the Canadian Intercounty Indy league. I added the Arizona Fall league, the Olympics, and the Premier 12 tournament. I've expanded the Mlb to 36 teams with 8 minor league teams each for the 6 Expansion teams. I've expanded every one of the US Indy leagues, as well as the Italian, German and Mexican Leagues. Oh, and I forgot a small Juco feeder.

My tower is about 4 years old, No SSD, AMD A8-7600 Processor with 8 GB Ram and the default AMD Radeon R7 Graphics card and it runs my leagues just fine. I may have 30 seconds when I hit Next Day and thats only if its middle of the season when most leagues are in-season
qcbandits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 03:10 AM   #4
qcbandits
Banned

https://www.newegg.com/p/1TS-000D-07...9SIAJZDAK05134

That would easily run what you're wanting to run
Unless you're doing high end gaming, definitely not OOTP or doing intense graphic work... Please dont ever consider spending anywhere near a grand on a laptop

Last edited by qcbandits; 03-31-2020 at 03:12 AM.
Old 03-31-2020, 03:23 AM   #5
polydamas
All Star Reserve

I recommend an SSD, but honestly, you probably won't see a huge difference with OOTP. I ended up moving OOTP back onto my HDD due to storage constraints. It's not much slower.

An SSD does make a big difference with other games like Kingdom Come Deliverance though.
polydamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 03:36 AM   #6
jimmysthebestcop
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by qcbandits View Post
https://www.newegg.com/p/1TS-000D-07...9SIAJZDAK05134

That would easily run what you're wanting to run
Unless you're doing high end gaming, definitely not OOTP or doing intense graphic work... Please dont ever consider spending anywhere near a grand on a laptop
Remember he is coming from a Macbook Pro they can easily be $2000 and well over it. They still cost near $1300 refurbished 3 years later!!!!!

That laptop from newegg is only a dual core and it isn't full hd its not 1080.

something more like this
https://www.microcenter.com/product/...rbished---grey

or

https://www.microcenter.com/product/...ished---silver
Old 03-31-2020, 04:42 AM   #7
qcbandits
Banned

Quote:
Remember he is coming from a Macbook Pro they can easily be $2000 and well over it. They still cost near $1300 refurbished 3 years later!!!!!

That laptop from newegg is only a dual core and it isn't full hd its not 1080.

something more like this
https://www.microcenter.com/product/...rbished---grey

or

https://www.microcenter.com/product/...ished---silver
No way, with OOTP, you're gonna want more screen real estate. Never consider anything under a 17 inch screen unless you're carrying it all over for travel
Old 03-31-2020, 04:45 AM   #8
qcbandits
Banned

Honestly tho Geezer, unless you need the portability, don't get a laptop at all. Get you a 500dollar tower and a nice 2560x1080 LG ultra wide monitor for less than 175. It makes playing OOTP a blast. but if you do follow this advice, i figured out something with this kind of monitor, always start the game in windowed mode
Old 03-31-2020, 05:06 AM   #9
jimmysthebestcop
Banned

Quote:
No way, with OOTP, you're gonna want more screen real estate. Never consider anything under a 17 inch screen unless you're carrying it all over for travel
You realize 1080p on a smaller screen shows more than a larger screen with weaker resolution. Its all about resolution not the size of the screen.

Quote:
Honestly tho Geezer, unless you need the portability, don't get a laptop at all. Get you a 500dollar tower and a nice 2560x1080 LG ultra wide monitor for less than 175. It makes playing OOTP a blast. but if you do follow this advice, i figured out something with this kind of monitor, always start the game in windowed mode
Desktops are always the way to go if you want cheaper and more reliable. You are paying extra for mobile components. And remember your Macbook Pro is top of line in physical attributes. All of the low cost windows laptops are piles of plastic. There is always the danger of hinge breakage and spills etc. None of those issues with a desktop.
Old 03-31-2020, 05:13 AM   #10
qcbandits
Banned

Quote:
You realize 1080p on a smaller screen shows more than a larger screen with weaker resolution. Its all about resolution not the size of the screen.

Desktops are always the way to go if you want cheaper and more reliable. You are paying extra for mobile components. And remember your Macbook Pro is top of line in physical attributes. All of the low cost windows laptops are piles of plastic. There is always the danger of hinge breakage and spills etc. None of those issues with a desktop.
1080p is total overkill for OOTP
This monitor is not 1080p but absolutely amazing for OOTP
https://www.amazon.com/LG-29UM59-29-...40&sr=8-9&th=1
Your local walmart may have the model year before this one, and if so it will be on Rollback for about 175
example
on the transactions screen, 9 teams, crystal clear and perfect sized to be legible.

That's also the reason I would go against a smaller laptop screen. Staring at the smaller text will not be good over the long haul
Especially with a screenname like OldGeezer HAHA

Last edited by qcbandits; 03-31-2020 at 05:20 AM.
Old 03-31-2020, 12:28 PM   #11
oldgeezer
Bat Boy

Quote:
Overkill

I run OOTP with all the default leagues, a 300+ team NCAA feeder, a 100+ HS feeder. I added the Canadian Intercounty Indy league. I added the Arizona Fall league, the Olympics, and the Premier 12 tournament. I've expanded the Mlb to 36 teams with 8 minor league teams each for the 6 Expansion teams. I've expanded every one of the US Indy leagues, as well as the Italian, German and Mexican Leagues. Oh, and I forgot a small Juco feeder.

My tower is about 4 years old, No SSD, AMD A8-7600 Processor with 8 GB Ram and the default AMD Radeon R7 Graphics card and it runs my leagues just fine. I may have 30 seconds when I hit Next Day and thats only if its middle of the season when most leagues are in-season
I usually sim a season each day as I don't play more than a few games a season. One of the benefits of retirement lol

Accordingly, my Mac would only take maybe 3-4 seconds to sim each day with all my leagues which was really fantastic. My work laptop takes 30-45 seconds so the difference is notable. I much prefer the former but I'm sure a newer PC would be able to do that. There are just so many different models that I feel like I'm playing roulette a bit compared to just buying a new macbook.

My rudimentary research yesterday told me that in looking for a PC, I should look for an intel 5 or 7 processor, 8 gb ram, and a Radeon graphs card. And are there any major differences between popular models (e.g. Lonovo, HP, etc.)? Or is it just personal preference?

These were a few of the suggested "mid range laptops" that seemed popular from researching yesterday.

https://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-Conver...2KSRHC14P1HQAY

https://www.amazon.com/Acer-i5-10210...%2C1148&sr=1-4

Would either of these compare to a new Mac? Again, I really don't use it for much outside of OOTP.

Anyway, thanks for helping an old man out. I appreciate the replies.
Old 03-31-2020, 12:29 PM   #12
oldgeezer
Bat Boy

Quote:
I like being able to lay in my bed and plop my laptop in my lap so that's my thought process instead of getting a PC
Old 03-31-2020, 01:12 PM   #13
crowhop
Minors (Triple A)

I should do an OOTP benchmark test. I have a very old laptop, a 5 year old desktop with an i4790k, and a new desktop with an AMD 3900X.
Would be interested to see what the actual difference is in time saved to sim a season.
crowhop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 01:19 PM   #14
Biggio509
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Desktops are always the way to go if you want cheaper and more reliable. .
And upgradable. I probably go through 3 video cards before I have to replace mainboard, processor, and memory. I have used the same tower for about 10 years. Several different hard drives, 4 different main boards and processors, 2 power supplies, A couple of changes in memory, and its still going.

You don't have to replace processor and mainboard every time. Also extra storage is easy. You can add a lot of hard drives. A lot of laptops today aren't upgradable.
Biggio509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 01:24 PM   #15
qcbandits
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgeezer View Post
I usually sim a season each day as I don't play more than a few games a season. One of the benefits of retirement lol

Accordingly, my Mac would only take maybe 3-4 seconds to sim each day with all my leagues which was really fantastic. My work laptop takes 30-45 seconds so the difference is notable. I much prefer the former but I'm sure a newer PC would be able to do that. There are just so many different models that I feel like I'm playing roulette a bit compared to just buying a new macbook.

My rudimentary research yesterday told me that in looking for a PC, I should look for an intel 5 or 7 processor, 8 gb ram, and a Radeon graphs card. And are there any major differences between popular models (e.g. Lonovo, HP, etc.)? Or is it just personal preference?

These were a few of the suggested "mid range laptops" that seemed popular from researching yesterday.

https://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-Conver...2KSRHC14P1HQAY

https://www.amazon.com/Acer-i5-10210...%2C1148&sr=1-4

Would either of these compare to a new Mac? Again, I really don't use it for much outside of OOTP.

Anyway, thanks for helping an old man out. I appreciate the replies.
Both good machines. When you buy a Mac, you gotta figure its about a 30% Mark up for that little Apple logo HAHA.. so Yea you're not gonna have to spend anywhere near the same amount on PC laptop. Screen size all comes down to how good your eyes are. You can go smaller with a good resolution and you will have the flexibility to configure the screens to see tons of stuff in OOTP. But, if you have any issues with your eyes, definitely consider a bigger screen on the laptop. I've been in the IT industry with my own shop doing everything from repairs, builds and all the way up to security consulting. I';ve had lots of computers over the years, my go to brands on Laptops are Lenovo, Acer and Asus.
Old 03-31-2020, 01:28 PM   #16
qcbandits
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggio509 View Post
And upgradable. I probably go through 3 video cards before I have to replace mainboard, processor, and memory. I have used the same tower for about 10 years. Several different hard drives, 4 different main boards and processors, 2 power supplies, A couple of changes in memory, and its still going.

You don't have to replace processor and mainboard every time. Also extra storage is easy. You can add a lot of hard drives. A lot of laptops today aren't upgradable.
Yes! While I still have the same default video card in the current system, I've added 3 8 TB internal drives to the default 1 TB. I keep meaning to upgrade the Ram to 16 GB but, all i really do is OOTP, make FaceGens and surf the web for OOTP related stuff. I dont even check email or anything anymore on the desktop... my phone has taken the place on that kind of stuff
Old 03-31-2020, 04:14 PM   #17
ablobj
Minors (Double A)

I was in the same boat about a year ago. I switched from a Chromebook to Windows laptop mainly because of OOTP. I'm not a gamer, I'm not into video editing, etc., so I really didn't want to blow too much cash on more machine than I needed. Wound up spending around $450 on a Lenovo Ideapad with an i5-7200, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD, 15 inch screen and it runs OOTP wonderfully.
ablobj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 09:22 PM   #18
Pineywoods OOTPer
All Star Reserve

So, if I read this right, SSD vs. HDD, no difference in regards to OOTP....hmmm...was about to upgrade to a SSD....maybe not now.

Senior Office Manager, 13th Circle of Heck.

Pineywoods OOTPer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 10:51 PM   #19
qcbandits
Banned

SSD is good for windows. Also good for high end gaming. Very negligible difference in OOTP
Old 03-31-2020, 11:07 PM   #20
Mariner and Giants Fan
All Star Starter

Alienware ftw

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgeezer View Post
i'm not technologically inclined and i'm looking for a laptop that ootp would run well on. I had a 2017 macbook pro that went kaput this morning and i'm looking for a replacement.

I run a full world with most foreign leagues and a few of the leagues have feeders too. This ran smoothly on my macbook but i tried running it on my work pc and it was very slow. My guess is because my work pc is from 2014 and isn't designed for anything more than sending emails and running tax-prep software.

So what laptop do you recommend i buy? I was thinking about shelling about money for the newest mac but i think that's overkill when all i really need it for is to browse the web and ootp. I'm sure there are pcs with similar specs to a mac that are a little cheaper and that this game runs well on? Again, i'm not too great with the newest technology so any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks again and stay safe!
[attach]Name:  alienware nebula red1.jpg
Views: 403
Size:  151.5 KB[/attach]
Attached Images