Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 21 > OOTP 21 - General Discussions

OOTP 21 - General Discussions Everything about the brand new version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB and the MLBPA.

Old 03-30-2020, 10:49 PM   #1
jdolecek49
Major Leagues

waivers and option years

so if im tied up with a players big contract say like a 15 million dollar contract and cant get him traded. i could put him on waivers right? can i put anyone on waivers? and then what happens if no one eantd to pick him up what happens then?

also can you explain to me option years, sometimes i get this error saying "this player is out of option years, what does that mean?
jdolecek49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 10:56 PM   #2
CBeisbol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdolecek49 View Post
so if im tied up with a players big contract say like a 15 million dollar contract and cant get him traded. i could put him on waivers right? can i put anyone on waivers? and then what happens if no one eantd to pick him up what happens then?
You can put anyone on waivers, and another team can claim them and their contract.

If no one claims they player they are removed from your 40 man roster and you can assign them to the minors.

Quote:
also can you explain to me option years, sometimes i get this error saying "this player is out of option years, what does that mean?
You might trying using the search function on the forum

Or your internet browser.

The game manual is also a good reference

I googled this in about a second
https://manuals.ootpdevelopments.com...e_option_years
Quote:
How Minor League Option Years Work
Players start out with 3 minor league option years. As soon as a player spends one day on the secondary roster without being on the active roster, he is considered to be on 'optional assignment.' The moment the player has spent one day in this scenario, he uses one of his three minor league options.
A player on your 40 man roster, who is in the minors has used an option. You can do this for 3 years. After that the player is out of options and cannot be sent to the minors.
CBeisbol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 11:15 PM   #3
pgjocki
All Star Starter

Quote:

As already stated you can place any player on waivers but there are a few different paths you can take if no one selects him:

- If no one selects him then he "cleared" waivers and can be assigned to any team in your minor league system and is removed from the 40 man roster. Of note, if he has already earned enough service time he will be a Free Agent at the end of the season. You still pay 100% of his salary.

- If no one selects him and he refuses a demotion to a minor league team then you either have to trade him or release him. If you trade then you get whatever you can and in theory you only pay him for the pro-rated portion of the salary through that part of the season. If you can't trade him and release him then you pay hi 100% of his salary and he is free to sign with any team at league minimum (the game doesn't always model this part correctly but essentially you get no salary relief).

Now, if he has 3 years left at $15 million and you release him then you don't get hit for $45 million but you pay the full $15 million per year. It will show up in your finance screen as expenses.
Old 03-30-2020, 11:17 PM   #4
ChrisJNelson
Minors (Triple A)

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:

You can waive anyone, but trading them (and NOT retaining salary) is the only way to avoid paying the player going forward. Otherwise, you're paying them whether they stay on your roster, clear waivers/go to minors, or get released.
ChrisJNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 11:22 PM   #5
CBeisbol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisJNelson View Post
(and NOT retaining salary)
You might be able to get rid of some of the salary, if you can't get rid of all of it.

You can pay, 50% or 25% or 75% or whatever and the other team will pay the rest.
CBeisbol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 12:02 AM   #6
jimmysthebestcop
Banned

Infractions: 0/2 (5)
Don't play a small market team your first time out. It is like playing on impossible difficulty in a normal video game.

OOTP plays completely different if you are say royals, marlins and rays versus large teams like Mets, Phillies, Nationals not to mention the juggernauts Cubs, Dodgers, Yankees and Red Sox.

Small market teams its all about GM and finances. Baseball is at the back burner in the beginning. You also need to know about rule 5 draft, draft, international free agents, intentional amateurs, waivers, waiver claims, trading, options, arbitration and all of this behind the scenes baseball gm stuff.

You will spend more time in you minor leagues than you do on your pro team. Because small markets need to be about the youth and have constant roster turnover. You might only have 1-2 players that make it 7+ years on your team. Every one else needs to be shipped out. Doesn't matter if they are an all star or fan favorite you won't have the budget to keep them. And you have to maximize the return when you trade them.

Needless to say it is extremely challenging. But the normal teams don't play that way. It is a completely different experience.

I would recommend grabbing a big size team, stay away from the juggernauts, learn the game a couple seasons then maybe go back to your favorite small market team. It's just not easy to do when starting out.

I mean even if you know what you are doing a small market team is in constant rebuilding and it might take an experienced player 5-10 years to go deep playoffs.
jimmysthebestcop is offline   Reply With Quote