Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Mods > OOTP Mods - Rosters, Photos, and Quick-Starts

Old 04-19-2015, 02:37 PM   #1
stl jason
Hall Of Famer

League of Thrones

First attempt at a quickstart, so hope it actually works as expected. The files can be downloaded here (let me know if it doesn't work or if there are issues):

(edit: link updated 3/23/18 - OOTP version 19)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1eXC...ew?usp=sharing

v20 version: https://drive.google.com/file/d/19pa...ew?usp=sharing

Saw a few inquiries regarding a quickstart based off the Game of Thrones series, so figured I'd take a crack at it; so I give you...

A League of Thrones: Season of Ice and Fire. I used data/images from 'a wiki of ice and fire' to obtain team logos (house crests), cities (houses), and team owners. Since there are nine major regions in Westeros, but only six divisions in a standard MLB modern setup, I merged some regions together to try and balance out the number of teams/houses available to each one.

There are six separate league (ML, AAA, AA, A, and two Independent leagues) to try and include all the houses of Westeros (I split the minor league structure into separate leagues so each house could have their own actual team owner). All teams have custom logos (either pulled from the wiki's house coat-of-arms, or Justafan's 'league of thrones' creations). I made basic caps/jerseys for the ML/AAA/AA/A teams using Justafan's cap/jersey creator (but didn't get to the 68 independent league teams). I'll admit I'm no artist and they are as basic as you can get, so if any more artistic people want to take a crack at 'em, feel free.

big thanks to:

-Justafan for the awesome logos and super-easy logo/cap/jersey creators

-Dreifort for the "dummy's guide" to XML editing for the world.xml file, not to mention the excel spreadsheet for creating new cities.

- The Wolf for the Serna XML editor suggestion in Driefort's thread.

- Bobble for the great work on the uniforms.

Last edited by stl jason; 03-30-2019 at 11:02 AM.
stl jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 07:38 PM   #2
siobhan
Minors (Single A)

I remember in the names/nations thread that you had asked about how to set up a universe...if this is the one you were setting up, I'm glad to see it come to fruition.

I know nothing about the Game of Thrones/Song of Ice and Fire universes (I just know the books and show are popular), but I like what you've done with this. Terrific start and nice attention to detail.

I did notice two things, however:

1. Westeros has "Central Uganda", "Western Uganda", and "Vatican City" areas. Perhaps they share an ID with the actual areas? Essos might have that issue too...there are locational areas in Essos (I saw Northern, Central, Eastern, and Western...no Southern, though) but they're not mentioned in the list of areas when you explore the nation.

2. Though the names are all in Westerosi/Essosi formats, you have about 1% of the players that come from real-life nations. None are in the main League of Thrones, but a few are sprinkled throughout the lower leagues. With the names being right to my knowledge, it's not the biggest deal, but it can be odd seeing an American player in Westeros, for example.

I'd help you in remedying that above issue if you feel it needs tinkered with, but I thought that switching random nation to 0% would've been enough...I guess it's not. Plus, I don't know how much you're supposed to limit the number of Essos players in Westeros, so I don't know if you include both continents in the same region or not.

These are only minor issues, as I'm otherwise really enjoying what you've done with this. Keep it up.
siobhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 08:01 PM   #3
stl jason
Hall Of Famer

thanks for the feedback... I noticed that thing with the country as well (showing Uganda or Vatican City instead of what I expected). I'll have to tinker with it and see what's causing it (sometimes it shows up like that, other times when I load it, it displays the correct info).

For the name file, I kept having issues with all sorts of non GoT names showing up, so I just deleted the entire names file and replaced it with only the GoT names that I pulled from the wiki site. I ran a test league (with just the 30 ML level teams in the main league) and it seemed to work as expected (simmed 30 seasons and nothing out of the ordinary yet with names); but perhaps the other leagues are pulling in odd stuff. I'll look into it.

edit: on the names in the lower leagues.... I'm thinking those 1% of "Earth" nationality players are in there since I added on the new league after creating the main one (so I had to modify that player-creation % factor after the new league was created, and that 1% popped in for the inaugural draft). I would expect that subsequent drafts will be strictly a 98% Westeros / 2% Essos nationality, as set in the league criteria.

"1. Westeros has "Central Uganda", "Western Uganda", and "Vatican City" areas. Perhaps they share an ID with the actual areas? Essos might have that issue too...there are locational areas in Essos (I saw Northern, Central, Eastern, and Western...no Southern, though) but they're not mentioned in the list of areas when you explore the nation."

bingo... just searched the world.xml file and found more city and state IDs than expected. (The thread I browsed to learn about editing the database/etc had cutoff numbers, but it's obviously out of date with the current file).

For anyone looking to add fictional states/cities/etc, the last city entry is 91037; and the last state entry is 3397; so just make sure your fictional entries are past that.

Last edited by stl jason; 04-19-2015 at 09:41 PM.
Old 04-19-2015, 11:56 PM   #4
siobhan
Minors (Single A)

What happened with the IDs in question is that, a couple of versions ago, every city in Uganda and Sierra Leone was being merged into identically named regions in American Samoa and Fiji, respectively. Maybe the guide was made prior to that being fixed. I also think they added the Vatican around that same time, so that might be why they have a high number as well.

I admittedly didn't check the intended Westeros/Essos ratios, but I got the impression that there shouldn't be a problem with them in future drafts if you've got zero random nation players. It was probably just something that happened in the inaugural draft that you inadvertently missed, like I think you suggested. Knowing the intended ratios, I can say I'm a little surprised there weren't more Essosi players generated in the quickstart, as they only make up a shade less than 0.5% of the players in the six leagues. (Or, less than the number of Earth players...) I've had things happen in test leagues of my own where important nations get less than their share in a large-scale setup...so that's not an issue at all.

Name generation isn't an issue at all in my mind, though I noticed seven players in the quickstart are surnamed Unknown. (Three are from the US while the other four are from Westeros.) I actually am of the mind that thinks Unknown would be a fitting name for this universe, but I'm open to the thought that such a thing isn't intentional. I forget what triggers Unknown surnames in an existing nameset, so if that isn't intentional, I really don't know what to do.

Thanks for responding to my feedback. It may look pedantic, but I ask because I care about making a good thing even better. I may not know the Westerosi and Essosi universes, but I want to at least get a feel for what it might be like.

As I said last time, keep it up. These are great leagues to have.
Old 04-20-2015, 08:53 AM   #5
stl jason
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by siobhan View Post
What happened with the IDs in question is that, a couple of versions ago, every city in Uganda and Sierra Leone was being merged into identically named regions in American Samoa and Fiji, respectively. Maybe the guide was made prior to that being fixed. I also think they added the Vatican around that same time, so that might be why they have a high number as well.

I admittedly didn't check the intended Westeros/Essos ratios, but I got the impression that there shouldn't be a problem with them in future drafts if you've got zero random nation players. It was probably just something that happened in the inaugural draft that you inadvertently missed, like I think you suggested. Knowing the intended ratios, I can say I'm a little surprised there weren't more Essosi players generated in the quickstart, as they only make up a shade less than 0.5% of the players in the six leagues. (Or, less than the number of Earth players...) I've had things happen in test leagues of my own where important nations get less than their share in a large-scale setup...so that's not an issue at all.

Name generation isn't an issue at all in my mind, though I noticed seven players in the quickstart are surnamed Unknown. (Three are from the US while the other four are from Westeros.) I actually am of the mind that thinks Unknown would be a fitting name for this universe, but I'm open to the thought that such a thing isn't intentional. I forget what triggers Unknown surnames in an existing nameset, so if that isn't intentional, I really don't know what to do.

Thanks for responding to my feedback. It may look pedantic, but I ask because I care about making a good thing even better. I may not know the Westerosi and Essosi universes, but I want to at least get a feel for what it might be like.

As I said last time, keep it up. These are great leagues to have.
it's the little things that tend to bug me as well, so appreciate any spotlight on them. I went in and updated all the city/state IDs last night (bumped them all well above what the highest one, so shouldn't have any duplicate entries). I'll work on regenerating the leagues and create them all at once; and see if that clears up both the odd state/country entries, but also the random 'Earth' players as well.
Old 04-22-2015, 12:06 PM   #6
stl jason
Hall Of Famer

finished re-working the xml database and reconstructing the leagues. I got rid of all the non-GoT nationalities in the draft pool, and no more non-GoT "nations/states" are showing in the birthplaces; so think the basics are good to go.

a new zip file has been linked in the OP (new file is a 7z type zip, to try and condense it more)

Last edited by stl jason; 04-22-2015 at 12:19 PM.
Old 04-22-2015, 09:13 PM   #7
siobhan
Minors (Single A)

Bingo. Everything you've fixed has been confirmed on this end too. Loving it more and more.

Oh, and one other thing. This isn't a bug or anything, merely something we were trying to figure out in the names forum. Anyway, I know why your flags aren't showing up. In double checking the regions to see if they were correct on my end, which they were, I noticed that the abbreviations for Westeros and Essos have a space in front of them. This is partially why they show up first in the Explore World screen. I thought they were showing up first because they were user-created for some reason...whatever. Basically, though, double-check your world_default...you probably have [abbr=" ESS"] and [abbr=" WES"] (no brackets, of course) when that space shouldn't be there.

Unless others want it, you don't have to update the quickstart on account of two wayward spaces. They're merely there for whenever you want to add other great things to this. However, I am curious what to expect from those flags...
Old 04-22-2015, 09:48 PM   #8
stl jason
Hall Of Famer

it's always those mundane details that get ya

I'll fix that space issue and see if that clears up the flags not showing. Thanks for the extra set of eyes
Old 04-23-2015, 12:53 AM   #9
siobhan
Minors (Single A)

No problem. Of course, I missed it too initially...only today did I see something off kilter with the abbreviations.

I hope that deleting those wayward spaces helps them show up, since I know you've looked forward to them being part of the game. Let's hope they appear.
Old 04-23-2015, 07:37 PM   #10
stl jason
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by siobhan View Post
No problem. Of course, I missed it too initially...only today did I see something off kilter with the abbreviations.

I hope that deleting those wayward spaces helps them show up, since I know you've looked forward to them being part of the game. Let's hope they appear.

the spaces were the culprit.... cleared those, created a new league and the two flags showed up

I'm going to work on caps/jerseys for the rest of the teams I missed; and then see about doing the same for two leagues of Essos teams before regenerating the entire setup.
Old 04-23-2015, 09:18 PM   #11
ezpkns34
All Star Reserve

Haven't downloaded it yet, but if it starts with some of the characters as owners or coaches or players, you could also add a photopack of the HBO version of them
ezpkns34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 09:28 PM   #12
stl jason
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezpkns34 View Post
Haven't downloaded it yet, but if it starts with some of the characters as owners or coaches or players, you could also add a photopack of the HBO version of them

love the idea... definitely thought about adding a photo pack, since I've basically made the owners of each team a main character from that house (i.e. - Winterfell Direwolves are owned by Eddard Stark; Casterly Rock Crimson Lions are owned by Tywin Lannister; etc)... but haven't gotten that far just yet... still working on caps/jerseys now that some of the bugs have been flushed out

some of the houses didn't list anyone specific as the lord of the manor, so I just left those as random generated names.... and a few of them aren't exactly accurate, but I went with them anyway to add some well known names (Summerhall Dragons are owned by Rhaegar Targaryen... in the independent league, Lannisport Halfman is owned by Tyrion Lannister even made him 4'5" tall... heh)
Old 04-24-2015, 09:54 PM   #13
Bobble
Hall Of Famer

I downloaded this awesome Quickstart and I thought I'd throw out some alternate uni's. Of course I'm using Justafan's amazing tools. I'm just gonna dump them in this thread (unless someone has a better idea). I'd appreciate comments and critique.

Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 09:58 PM   #14
Bobble
Hall Of Famer

Wyndhall Red Eagles

House Estren.

Chainmail undershirt or no chainmail undershirt?
Attached Images
Image Image Image Image Image 

Last edited by Bobble; 04-24-2015 at 10:01 PM.
Old 04-24-2015, 10:18 PM   #15
Bobble
Hall Of Famer

Casterly Rock

Lannisters ... BOOO!!!!
Attached Images

Old 04-24-2015, 10:41 PM   #16
Bobble
Hall Of Famer

Starks

Winterfell ... spoiler alert: don't get too attached...

Oh, and I didn't really care for Wiki of Ice and Fire's take on the wolf.
Attached Images

Last edited by Bobble; 04-24-2015 at 10:43 PM.
Old 04-24-2015, 10:57 PM   #17
Bobble
Hall Of Famer

Starks logo

Here's the modified Stark logo if anyone wants.
Attached Images

Old 04-25-2015, 12:03 AM   #18
stl jason
Hall Of Famer

Nice work! Definitely appreciate the efforts. I'll integrate those into the next update.

I know what you mean about the Winterfell logo. I've been considering changing that one myself, but have been working on other parts of the QS. I think I'll switch that one out as well (assuming you don't have any objections)

edit: love the chainmail undershirt... never know when you'll need extra protection in this league

Last edited by stl jason; 04-25-2015 at 12:26 AM.
Old 04-25-2015, 12:25 PM   #19
Bobble
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stl jason View Post
Nice work! Definitely appreciate the efforts. I'll integrate those into the next update.

I know what you mean about the Winterfell logo. I've been considering changing that one myself, but have been working on other parts of the QS. I think I'll switch that one out as well (assuming you don't have any objections)

edit: love the chainmail undershirt... never know when you'll need extra protection in this league
Thanks.

I was kinda surprised that the wiki went with that version of a wolf as their choice. If it was some minor house no one really cared about, fine but that's a huge part of the story and they give it this timid, dog-like wolf.

Yeah, definitely feel free to use any of this stuff.

When I set up my league, I'm going to set "Enable suspensions for fighting" to maximum.

Old 04-25-2015, 01:14 PM   #20
Bobble
Hall Of Famer

Tyrell

Highgarden -- couple of choices here
Attached Images