Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > Perfect Team
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Perfect Team Discover the new amazing online league competition & card collecting mode of OOTP!

Old 01-06-2019, 12:37 PM   #1
llcmac
Minors (Rookie Ball)

3 or 4 man rotation for the playoffs?

This is my first playoffs, wondering if it's feasible as IRL?
llcmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 12:59 PM   #2
Joshrapley
Minors (Single A)

I have gone for 4 man rotation as 5 game series is played over 6 in game days. However, other teams in my league have left theirs at 5.

However, this has been irrelevant as I just been eliminated 3-0 in the first round.
Joshrapley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 01:25 PM   #3
Zorro
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by llcmac View Post
This is my first playoffs, wondering if it's feasible as IRL?
I have used 4 in every season in The Playoffs. I guess you could use 3 but they would be at around 80 pct. With 4 starters they are all rested. I hope this helped what you were asking...
Zorro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 02:50 PM   #4
bobbycockstrong
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshrapley View Post
I have gone for 4 man rotation as 5 game series is played over 6 in game days. However, other teams in my league have left theirs at 5.

However, this has been irrelevant as I just been eliminated 3-0 in the first round.
haha, condolences

I always use 4 man rotation in playoffs, whether its the regular game or PT. Seems to work well. The guys always pitch off 100% because there are so many days off during and between the respective series.
bobbycockstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 03:42 PM   #5
absurddoctor
Minors (Double A)

In single player OOTP I typically go with three if I'm managing, and four otherwise. The AI always seems to end up with over-tired arms if I let it manage with only three starters.

I forgot this my first PT season and went with three starters, and that backfired pretty badly when there were several extra-inning games.

With single-player you typically can't get five strong starters without some pretty big trade-offs, (or gaming the system more than I want to). Having a full rotation of aces is not only feasible but pretty much required in PT though, so I don't really have any weaknesses there, and am happy to keep my pitching staff the same in the playoffs as the regular season.
absurddoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 03:43 PM   #6
whobob
Minors (Single A)

I would guess it would depend on how strong/deep your bullpen is. With a 3-man rotation, I could see the starters getting pulled earlier, as they wouldn't get back to 100% rested before the game. I guess it would depend on how much more you trusted your pen than that 4th starter. This is just a guess, as I haven't tried it myself.
whobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 04:19 PM   #7
CrazyWR
All Star Reserve

Always used 4 in the postseason myself. Drop a pitcher for the playoffs and add another hitter, in PT its usually been Terrance Gore but it depends on what the team needs.
CrazyWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 03:54 AM   #8
elutz31
Minors (Double A)

I've toyed with both myself. I've won and lost in the playoffs with both. In the lower levels against weaker competition or having 3 stronger pitchers it may be the better option. Against stiffer competition in the diamond or perfect leagues you'll likely have to have 4 or 5 aces to make the playoffs and that very minor benefit of having a starter at 100% rested over 80% may just be enough. I'd still have a hard time trucking out a Sale or de Grom type in a decisive game at 100% with Pedro available at 80%. Lower the bar on your hook starting pitcher in global if you're worried about their effectiveness.

This may only good in theory though. I use the quick hook in the playoffs regardless of how many pitchers in the event someone is struggling they get removed quickly. Yet the game doesn't seem to factor the quick hook in as I've had a couple pitchers get ripped up in the first few innings and they were left out there to burn each time and continued to pitch for several more innings allowing even more runs.
elutz31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 04:21 AM   #9
Dogberry99
All Star Starter

I thought the game didn't allow 3 man rotations. Does this change for the play offs?
Dogberry99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 08:52 AM   #10
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogberry99 View Post
I thought the game didn't allow 3 man rotations. Does this change for the play offs?
Yes
Matt Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote