Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > Perfect Team

Perfect Team Discover the new amazing online league competition & card collecting mode of OOTP!

Old 11-06-2018, 07:08 PM   #21
One Post Wonder
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoman View Post
If you were a player that was a perennial all star or HOFer you should be rated as such no matter what era your were in, IMO,Not understanding the reasoning behind watering down most historical guys.Why include them if your not going to rate them what they deserve .
Oh I agree with you. I saw a Satchel Paige on sale yesterday whose abilities made me want to cry. I came across a Paul Waner who had a contact rating around 65-70 IIRC. IRL he might have been the best contact/singles hitter of all time, albeit he didn't do much else.

I can see why the game would want to limit the amount of guys rated 80+. It would get ridiculous otherwise. But if we need more flotsam to fill out the 40-65 range it would have been more fitting to use AAA and AA players IMHO. But I'm not sure how the licensing would work for something like that.

It is what it is. Looking forward, perhaps old stars could somehow provide some value to a team outside of their mediocre personal attributes. Perhaps Lou Brock would add a tiny amount to the baserunning abilities of his teammates for example. They could provide the equivalent of coaching or leadership, perhaps?

Last edited by One Post Wonder; 11-06-2018 at 07:10 PM.
One Post Wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 07:28 PM   #22
Fyrestorm3
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Post Wonder View Post
I can see why the game would want to limit the amount of guys rated 80+. It would get ridiculous otherwise. But if we need more flotsam to fill out the 40-65 range it would have been more fitting to use AAA and AA players IMHO. But I'm not sure how the licensing would work for something like that.
If you do that, I feel like you run the risk of tilting the scales too much in the other direction, and desaturating the market. It's not a lot of fun to slog through a long list of Bronze cards on the AH with only one or two names you recognize.

I feel like there's unfortunately no easy solution that will satisfy everyone.
Fyrestorm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 07:44 PM   #23
Imbogo
Bat Boy

As a Catfish Hunter owner I felt like commenting here. He was amazing the first two months of entry pool league, sub 2 ERA and decent strikeout numbers. After that he began his steady descent into being utter trash. His ERA is 6.8 in the current league with zero quality starts. My rookie Tom Seaver (73 value) is rated a pedestrian 63-53-57 but is managing to hold down a sub 5 ERA so he's my best pitcher.

Interestingly, I bought one of the "95-45-35 guys" in a 79 value Charlie Morton who is 83-55-48... and Morton is my worst pitcher. 7.8 ERA with BB/9 at 9.7. So I would still recommend avoiding that type of pitcher.

I have an elite defensive catcher so that should be helping everyone's pitching too. I think what it comes down to is OOTP is saying the average raw talent of modern hitters is just a lot higher than it was in Catfish Hunter or Tom Seaver's time, so if you force them to pitch in the current game against good modern hitters (or historical superstars) they are no longer anything but mediocre to bad.
Imbogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 08:27 PM   #24
Scoman
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imbogo View Post
As a Catfish Hunter owner I felt like commenting here. He was amazing the first two months of entry pool league, sub 2 ERA and decent strikeout numbers. After that he began his steady descent into being utter trash. His ERA is 6.8 in the current league with zero quality starts. My rookie Tom Seaver (73 value) is rated a pedestrian 63-53-57 but is managing to hold down a sub 5 ERA so he's my best pitcher.

Interestingly, I bought one of the "95-45-35 guys" in a 79 value Charlie Morton who is 83-55-48... and Morton is my worst pitcher. 7.8 ERA with BB/9 at 9.7. So I would still recommend avoiding that type of pitcher.

I have an elite defensive catcher so that should be helping everyone's pitching too. I think what it comes down to is OOTP is saying the average raw talent of modern hitters is just a lot higher than it was in Catfish Hunter or Tom Seaver's time, so if you force them to pitch in the current game against good modern hitters (or historical superstars) they are no longer anything but mediocre to bad.

If I was the owner of OOTP this would not make me happy. When you get a guy like Seaver or Hunter you should be ecstatic,not disappointed...
Scoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 08:53 PM   #25
damientheomen3
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imbogo View Post
Are you the one that snaked that Charlie Morton from me in the auction a couple nights ago?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrestorm3 View Post
Honestly I don't think this is a bad thing, it was really cool to be able to snag a 64-overall Lou Brock early, who's currently stealing bases like a felon for me. But I will agree it can be a tad off-putting.
I hear ya. Brock's been a beast for me so far, along with an 86 George Brett and a 76 Austin Hays. Have Waner coming off the bench because my OF is solid. Only 1 starting pitcher over a 70 though since someone outbid me for that Morton card and my gold pack gave me an 83 overall... closer.

Last edited by damientheomen3; 11-06-2018 at 08:57 PM.
damientheomen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 09:02 PM   #26
Imbogo
Bat Boy

Haha maybe, did my Catfish Hunter just throw a shutout against you? Well if he wants to redeem himself I'm fine with it. Morton had an okay start too. I need to badmouth my guys more apparently...

Edit: Nvm it was against 8gomon not theomen, probably someone else

Last edited by Imbogo; 11-06-2018 at 09:06 PM.
Imbogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 09:31 PM   #27
Scoman
All Star Starter

Thought about selling ole Catfish but just couldn't,stuck him in the bullpen and on his first game out of the bullpen he got a 2 and 1/3 inning save,maybe I just don't know how to use him.
Scoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 12:23 PM   #28
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoman View Post
Thought about selling ole Catfish but just couldn't,stuck him in the bullpen and on his first game out of the bullpen he got a 2 and 1/3 inning save,maybe I just don't know how to use him.
For guys like Hunter, who were pitch to contact pitchers in reality it's going to be really important to put a good defense behind them, just like their real life teams did. Defense is always important but contact pitchers really magnify the need for it.

lukas@ootpdevelopments.com

Order Out of the Park Baseball 25!

Need to upload files for us to check out? Instructions can be found here
Lukas Berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 12:28 PM   #29
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

People are also not seeing the better cards for a lot of historical guys. Someone was complaining about having a rookie Seaver rated in the 70's. Well there are also two Diamond (90, 92) and one Perfect Seaver (100), but they're so much more rare, people haven't seen them yet.

There's no systematic bias against historical guys. It's just that some historical guys from certain seasons get lower ratings than you'd think just from looking at the player's name, based on something specific about that season's specific performance/home park/overall league stats from that year. And in a few cases, the overall ratings don't completely match the individual ratings, for varying reasons.

But the biggest factor is just the rarity of the higher rated cards that you aren't seeing pulled yet. This is no different than for current guys.

lukas@ootpdevelopments.com

Order Out of the Park Baseball 25!

Need to upload files for us to check out? Instructions can be found here

Last edited by Lukas Berger; 11-07-2018 at 03:55 PM.
Lukas Berger is offline   Reply With Quote