Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 15 > OOTP 15 - General Discussions

OOTP 15 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2014 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 09-21-2014, 01:31 AM   #1
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Expanding your OOTP MLB league to 32 teams

Ever consider doing it? I actually did it last year. But now a team of experts at Beyond The Box Score have gone and done it with an actual documented expansion draft following all the proper rules. If you want to have a 32 team MLB league expansion draft, here it is, all done for you and wrapped up in a bow:

The 2014 Beyond the Box Score Expansion Draft - Beyond the Box Score
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 09:12 AM   #2
hfield007
All Star Starter

Seeing 4 team MLB divisions twice in one day on these forums is enough to bring tears to my eyes. And the day it happens and I die a sudden traumatic death, my tombstone shall read, "Four teams a division does not make."

However, other than that atrocity this was a great read.
hfield007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 09:49 AM   #3
mgom27
Hall Of Famer

I see mistakes in Divisions because like KC and Washington not in South on a US Map. Also don't know how many people they had protected but I would had it at 60 and half of those wouldn't have been drafted.
Old 09-21-2014, 11:29 AM   #4
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfield007 View Post
Seeing 4 team MLB divisions twice in one day on these forums is enough to bring tears to my eyes. And the day it happens and I die a sudden traumatic death, my tombstone shall read, "Four teams a division does not make."

However, other than that atrocity this was a great read.
Nonsense. There was a four team division in the MLB until 2012.

I love the idea of eight divisions of four teams each. No more bleeping wild cards. Win your division or go home.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
Old 09-21-2014, 01:29 PM   #5
ThatSeventiesGuy
Hall Of Famer

By 1998 (currently in 1995), I'll have 32 teams. I'm doing four 8-team divisions, just to be different.
ThatSeventiesGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 02:57 PM   #6
ra7c7er
All Star Starter

I don't mind 4 team divisions but not with 162 games. My major league has 4 team divisions and only plays 80 games at the 65 games mark their are nearly always 4-5 teams still fighting for the wildcard and not once has any wildcard team had a record less than .500. Had several division winners have sub .500 records though.
ra7c7er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 03:33 PM   #7
canaveral
Minors (Double A)

When I expand to 32 teams, I stick with the previous NL version of 3 divisions of 6, 5, and 5 teams, with 1 wild card for the playoffs.
canaveral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 04:43 PM   #8
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

What type of schedule is used with this 32, 8 division setup? Please tell me interleague play goes away.
David Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 04:58 PM   #9
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
What type of schedule is used with this 32, 8 division setup? Please tell me interleague play goes away.
no
http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...ml#post2473478
Don't bottle your emotions till they crack and fill a couple just sorrows
Take your mind and refocus go get a paper write your goals out
Throw your middle fingers to all your haters

"Stay Strong"

The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 05:11 PM   #10
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Old reliable GMO has a 4D4T no interleague schedule. See post 3.

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...-use-ootp.html

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...4_c_d1_gmo.zip

RichW

#stopthestupid

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 05:27 PM   #11
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
Not a big 4 team division fan, but if it is the future, I vote do away with interleague play and go with the 30 games against teams in your division and 6 against the other subleague teams. GMO features that schedule in the links RchW posted.
Old 09-21-2014, 05:51 PM   #12
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Not a big 4 team division fan, but if it is the future, I vote do away with interleague play and go with the 30 games against teams in your division and 6 against the other subleague teams. GMO features that schedule in the links RchW posted.
I like that idea and may steal it.

Old 09-21-2014, 06:32 PM   #13
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I will even expand upon this....162 games...totally unnecessary. 130 games is plenty enough to figure out who's who..especially with four team divisions, and no inter league play. The post season should be in September, not October...of course this will never happen due to revenues.
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 06:44 PM   #14
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Not a big 4 team division fan, but if it is the future, I vote do away with interleague play and go with the 30 games against teams in your division and 6 against the other subleague teams.
That proposal has two drawbacks: (1) That's an awful lot of games against the same three opponents. In the real world fans may well get sick of seeing the same few opposing teams over and over and over. (2) That many games against such a small number of divisional opponents can lead to unbalanced results if one team is particularly dominant or one team particularly weak.

Something to note from MLB historical results is that the more divisions there have been the lower the average winning percentage of a division winner. From 1901-68, for example, the average winning percentage of a first-place club was .634 (that's the equivalent of 102.7 wins in a 162-game schedule). From 1969-93, the era of two divisions, the average winning percentage of a division winner was .593 (96.0 wins). From 1995-2013, the period of three divisions and wild card, the average winning percentage of a division winner was .587 (95.0 wins). The average winning percentage of a wild card qualifier was .572 (92.6 wins).

The more divisions there are in a league the more difficult it becomes to find the proper balance between divisional and non-divisional games. Three divisions is more problematic than two, and four divisions is more problematic than three.
Le Grande Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 07:17 PM   #15
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Grande Orange View Post
That proposal has two drawbacks: (1) That's an awful lot of games against the same three opponents. In the real world fans may well get sick of seeing the same few opposing teams over and over and over. (2) That many games against such a small number of divisional opponents can lead to unbalanced results if one team is particularly dominant or one team particularly weak.

Something to note from MLB historical results is that the more divisions there have been the lower the average winning percentage of a division winner. From 1901-68, for example, the average winning percentage of a first-place club was .634 (that's the equivalent of 102.7 wins in a 162-game schedule). From 1969-93, the era of two divisions, the average winning percentage of a division winner was .593 (96.0 wins). From 1995-2013, the period of three divisions and wild card, the average winning percentage of a division winner was .587 (95.0 wins). The average winning percentage of a wild card qualifier was .572 (92.6 wins).

The more divisions there are in a league the more difficult it becomes to find the proper balance between divisional and non-divisional games. Three divisions is more problematic than two, and four divisions is more problematic than three.
Real world fans ruin everything.. I agree with the problematic part. Could always go with 22 games against in division teams and 8 against the other subleague teams. The thing that bugs me about that is that means only 66 games in division. The other problem is my math skills stink and that only adds up to 152 games. Slaps forehead.

Last edited by David Watts; 09-21-2014 at 07:23 PM.
Old 09-21-2014, 07:22 PM   #16
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUColonel View Post
I will even expand upon this....162 games...totally unnecessary. 130 games is plenty enough to figure out who's who..especially with four team divisions, and no inter league play. The post season should be in September, not October...of course this will never happen due to revenues.
I'm all for shortening the season. Heck, according to next years schedule the season will end in November. That's silly. I despise the practice of September call ups, so getting rid of September wouldn't hurt my feelings. I've always felt that if the league feels the need to allow expanded rosters, it should happen at the beginning of the season, not the end.
Old 09-21-2014, 07:46 PM   #17
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Real world fans ruin everything.. I agree with the problematic part. Could always go with 22 games against in division teams and 8 against the other subleague teams. The thing that bugs me about that is that means only 66 games in division. The other problem is my math skills stink and that only adds up to 152 games. Slaps forehead.
Assuming no interleague play:

22 games against each division rival (66 games total)
12 games against each team in one of the other 4-team divisions (48 games total)
6 games against each team in the other two 4-team divisions (48 games)

The division which has its opponents played 12 times each can be rotated annually on a three-year cycle. Or you could keep it permanent in which case you have effectively divided each league into two conferences (particularly if you match up the respective division champions in the playoffs).
Old 09-21-2014, 07:56 PM   #18
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Heck, according to next years schedule the season will end in November.
The 2015 regular season starts on April 5 and ends on October 4th. In comparison, in 2014 the season started on March 30th and ends on Sept. 28th (excluding the overseas opening games played in Australia).

Assuming the same post-season schedule setup in 2015 as 2014, then next year the World Series will start on Oct. 27th. The seventh game would be played on Nov. 4th.

MLB could have avoided that by simply starting the 2015 regular season a week earlier: season opens Mar. 29th; ends Sept. 27th; World Series opens Oct. 20th; seventh game on Oct. 28th.

For whatever reason MLB decided it did not want to open the 2015 season in March.
Old 09-21-2014, 09:57 PM   #19
Tram2Whitaker
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Grande Orange View Post
The 2015 regular season starts on April 5 and ends on October 4th. In comparison, in 2014 the season started on March 30th and ends on Sept. 28th (excluding the overseas opening games played in Australia).

Assuming the same post-season schedule setup in 2015 as 2014, then next year the World Series will start on Oct. 27th. The seventh game would be played on Nov. 4th.

MLB could have avoided that by simply starting the 2015 regular season a week earlier: season opens Mar. 29th; ends Sept. 27th; World Series opens Oct. 20th; seventh game on Oct. 28th.

For whatever reason MLB decided it did not want to open the 2015 season in March.
That's unusual that they would start on Sunday, especially Easter Sunday. Frequently in the past, especially when Easter falls on that weekend, they typically start on the Monday/Tuesday afterward.

I tried the 4 team divisions, and immediately regretted it. Not so much how the schedule was set, but rather that it was very easy for a sub .500 team to win their division; likewise, very easy for a 90 win team to completely miss. I rather go with the 5-6-5 setup.

In real life, interleague (probably as much as 'roided up players) brought the post-strike league back from the dead. I remember Detroit used to draw 10,000 per game; interleague games drew 40,000+. Same in Tampa. The problem was, facing the same 5 teams every year, during the same 2 weeks every season. I like the new setup, with interleague every day.
Old 09-22-2014, 02:31 AM   #20
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tram2Whitaker View Post
That's unusual that they would start on Sunday, especially Easter Sunday. Frequently in the past, especially when Easter falls on that weekend, they typically start on the Monday/Tuesday afterward.
The opening Sunday night game has been a part of the schedule for awhile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tram2Whitaker View Post
In real life, interleague (probably as much as 'roided up players) brought the post-strike league back from the dead.
The strike didn't affect all teams equally. Some were almost unaffected in terms of attendance; others saw significant drops. As bad as it was, at least it taught the owners and players an enduring lesson, and there's been labour peace since.