Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 15 > OOTP 15 - General Discussions

OOTP 15 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2014 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 08-21-2014, 11:44 PM   #1
ovccsteve
All Star Reserve

Trade Issues

For some reason, trading has become very difficult in my game. I can rarely get even remotely fair offers from Shop a Player or even the Initiate Trade screen. As an example, I traded four players, three of which became immediate starters on the new team. Best I could get for them were three mediocre prospects. One player from this trade was just named Rookie of the Month, and a player from another trade was pitcher of the month. I could get no legit offers for either in Shop a Player. I only have the Trade Difficulty set to Average and not long ago I was having to self-regulate to keep from taking advantage of the AI. (It feels like the other teams got together and blacklisted me.) Anybody else seeing this?
ovccsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 12:14 AM   #2
BaseballLife322
Minors (Double A)

I noticed it as well, especially if you're trying to move solid veterans but with pretty big contracts... I think they made it a little harder to trade, to help the AI.
BaseballLife322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 01:23 AM   #3
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Yes, someone said a while back that in a recent patch, Markus addressed the issue of Average trading difficulty being too easy while Hard was, well, too hard. The resolution was, unexpected by me, to move Average up in difficulty. I thought he would scale back Hard but apparently he left that one alone.

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 01:34 AM   #4
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Trading should be hard and it should be difficult to get fair value for any player

RichW

#stopthestupid

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 01:41 AM   #5
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Déjà Bru View Post
Yes, someone said a while back that in a recent patch, Markus addressed the issue of Average trading difficulty being too easy while Hard was, well, too hard. The resolution was, unexpected by me, to move Average up in difficulty. I thought he would scale back Hard but apparently he left that one alone.
I think he made the right choice.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 01:44 AM   #6
RchW
Hall Of Famer

I agree.

RichW

#stopthestupid

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
Old 08-22-2014, 09:48 AM   #7
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

My experience with the last couple of patches is similar to the OP. However, I have found plenty of offers for a player in the normal trade screen where there were no offers in the "shop player" screen. I think "shop player" was made harder, but the normal trading was not. Just my two cents.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 02:46 PM   #8
ovccsteve
All Star Reserve

I think trading should be difficult but fair, with a side order of realistic. I had a young starting pitcher with min contract, rated 60+/100. In reality, if I shopped that player around I'd get five or six interested teams offering me at least a 50/100 prospect. I got no offers. For the early-20's 2B, also min contract, also 60/100, the offers I got were for middle-aged relievers in the 30/100 range. If a player is ready to play in the majors but there's no room on my roster, I like to give them a shot somewhere else. But the Average trading setting makes that basically impossible. And forget about trying to trade reserves. Teams won't accept offers to get a solid reserve in exchange for the 14th pitcher on their second rookie league team. But when I force that trade, guy ends up getting their starting ss job. Not realistic when you can't even give away solid, cheap major league talent.
Old 08-22-2014, 02:57 PM   #9
BusterKing
Hall Of Famer

And the trading block is still totally useless.
BusterKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 03:02 PM   #10
lejdot
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
Trading should be hard and it should be difficult to get fair value for any player
Its made the game far more enjoyable and helps players reduce the risk of getting gamey with their trades.
lejdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 03:11 PM   #11
SirMichaelJordan
Hall Of Famer

FWIW

I only use shop a player to find what teams are interested in the player I am trying to move then I start negotiating a trade...

Considering Shop A Player only turn up 1 for 1 trades, I'm glad the AI don't offer fair deals.

Last edited by SirMichaelJordan; 08-22-2014 at 03:12 PM.
SirMichaelJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 03:12 PM   #12
pstrickert
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovccsteve View Post
I think trading should be difficult but fair, with a side order of realistic. I had a young starting pitcher with min contract, rated 60+/100. In reality, if I shopped that player around I'd get five or six interested teams offering me at least a 50/100 prospect. I got no offers. For the early-20's 2B, also min contract, also 60/100, the offers I got were for middle-aged relievers in the 30/100 range. If a player is ready to play in the majors but there's no room on my roster, I like to give them a shot somewhere else. But the Average trading setting makes that basically impossible. And forget about trying to trade reserves. Teams won't accept offers to get a solid reserve in exchange for the 14th pitcher on their second rookie league team. But when I force that trade, guy ends up getting their starting ss job. Not realistic when you can't even give away solid, cheap major league talent.
Have you tried lowering Trading Difficulty to Easy? I wonder what would happen if you did. Would it be too easy for your liking?
pstrickert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 03:44 PM   #13
ovccsteve
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstrickert View Post
Have you tried lowering Trading Difficulty to Easy? I wonder what would happen if you did. Would it be too easy for your liking?
For someone who's been playing the game as long as I have, it seems wrong to set anything to "Easy". But trading is one of my favorite parts of the game, and the way I play it heavily involves developing and trading young talent. I don't mind putting in the hard work to make a trade happen, and I self-regulate to make sure the trades aren't lopsided my way or nonsensical. (I'm still amazed at how often the AI doesn't take into account the team's needs when making trades, like when a team offers their starting cf w/ no good backup so they can have two starting 3b.)
Another example. I just set the trade difficulty to Easy and shopped a young dh. A 1st-place team offered me way too good a prospect for him, but the trade made sense for the other team, so I through in a AAA reliever who should have been in the majors to make the trade more fair. After the trade, this already 1st-place team has their new dh batting clean-up and my former reliever as their closer. Average trading difficulty shouldn't make it basically impossible for me to get any talent for those two.
Did I mention I've frequently had to use Force Trade to give a solid player with a min contract to a last-place team in exchange for their worst Rookie League reliever?
Old 08-22-2014, 04:11 PM   #14
rpriske
Hall Of Famer

That's what I use 'Shop a Player' for as well. I hope we don't get a situation where it is rare to get offered anyone using that.

````````````````````````````````````````

rpriske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 04:13 PM   #15
lejdot
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirMichaelJordan View Post
FWIW

I only use shop a player to find what teams are interested in the player I am trying to move then I start negotiating a trade...

Considering Shop A Player only turn up 1 for 1 trades, I'm glad the AI don't offer fair deals.

I do the same thing, gauge interest and then work on something. I totally like how trading has changed from 14 to 15. Its so much more realistic and teams try to take advantage of your position as they should.
lejdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 04:32 PM   #16
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
In real life no one shops solid major league talent for the 14th pitcher on a rookie team so it is not realistic at all. It shouldn't happen in OOTP either. Because the AI is inanimate Markus has to program the AI to refuse an offer no human GM would make to another human.

For most trades the other team has to have a need. You can't expect the AI to take players they don't perceive a need for. It may seem off in your human perception of realistic but in order to preserve the "integrity" (for want of a better word) of the trading module it has to be programmed to say no more often than yes.

RichW

#stopthestupid

Old 08-22-2014, 04:43 PM   #17
ovccsteve
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
In real life no one shops solid major league talent for the 14th pitcher on a rookie team so it is not realistic at all. It shouldn't happen in OOTP either. Because the AI is inanimate Markus has to program the AI to refuse an offer no human GM would make to another human.

For most trades the other team has to have a need. You can't expect the AI to take players they don't perceive a need for. It may seem off in your human perception of realistic but in order to preserve the "integrity" (for want of a better word) of the trading module it has to be programmed to say no more often than yes.
But I'm talking when they do have a need. When the player I send them ends up their number 3 starting pitcher or primary set-up man or platoon rf, yet I can't find a single player in their organization they'll give up for this player unless I force the trade.
Old 08-22-2014, 04:53 PM   #18
SirMichaelJordan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
But I'm talking when they do have a need. When the player I send them ends up their number 3 starting pitcher or primary set-up man or platoon rf, yet I can't find a single player in their organization they'll give up for this player unless I force the trade.

Just because the AI team immediately used them doesn't really mean they needed them. It just mean that those players were rated better than the current players on the roster. They were bottom feeders so you could actually be harming them buy giving the team another player that could be potentially blocking a prospect let along you forced them to take on money while giving up a prospect. I would like to think that the AI is smarter than just buying up the best OVR players in the game. I would hope they would actually look at their current situation along with their future.

Last edited by SirMichaelJordan; 08-22-2014 at 04:56 PM.
SirMichaelJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 05:26 PM   #19
ovccsteve
All Star Reserve

You are WAY overestimating the AI on this. Here's a team I sent two groups of players to this past winter. The players that I sent them have the colored-in boxes, and are, with the exception of the over-priced old guy above the scroll, the best players on the team. I've included the AAA "talent" these guys are blocking in the second image. The player starting at SS was shopped numerous times with no interest, and I basically had to force both trades on this team's AI.
Attached Images
Image Image 
Old 08-22-2014, 07:16 PM   #20
Zyllyx
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I love the new trading AI. Before, on "Average" I was fleecing teams regularly with the "Shop a Player" feature (how else can you explain St. Louis giving up Oscar Taveras for Brandon McCarthy and Brad Ziegler?). Now, if I'm shopping someone I can barely get the AI to bite, and when they do they lowball me like crazy - which is as it should be.

I can still pull off good trades if I go in and initiate them without using the "Shop" feature but I really enjoy the challenge of making my bed and then having to sleep in it. I can't just dump a one-star $12M player onto another team in return for a 5-star prospect anymore, and if I sign a ludicrous contract eventually I'll have to eat it through a waive/release or include someone really valuable in a trade scenario.
Zyllyx is offline   Reply With Quote